wilfredo

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wil,

Funny, I was just over there and was going to post the same thing. The prices not only seem relatively stable, I wouldn't say there is a flood of M8 cameras. Also, there are M8 and M8.2, but only one M8 that is upgraded. I think this means that most who updated figured they would hang on to it for a while.

If, money were no object I would buy the M9 and sell my M8u today. Since it is an issue, I'll hang on to my M8u until next year before vacation season and revisit the issue then. I'm not in any rush and I still want to buy some more glass. Besides, I view this camera as more of an M8.3 than a true M9. By this time next year, who knows, maybe there will be an M10.

But, no sour grapes here, I would clearly love to have FF and I'd buy the 35Lux. That was what I was looking at on ebay. The 35Lux and FF would be so nice to have. I'd gain a stop over my summicron 28/2 and then at least a stop with the M9 body + larger sensor/smaller pixels at the same print size. It would sweet.

Mine is still minty. I considered selling it but then decided against it. No rush here either. It's good to know they are holding up.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The prices not only seem relatively stable, I wouldn't say there is a flood of M8 cameras.

A more interesting time to look at prices might be in 6 months time when there is less of a shortage of M9s. M9s are in very short supply at the moment, and I'm guessing that most dealers are prepared to take the M8 in part-ex for an M9. That might change when they have several M8s on their shelved waiting for buyers.

Ffordes in the UK currently have seven used M8/8.2s in stock. Interestingly they have on upgraded M8 which is selling at the same price as the standard model.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That is just one auction out of many. Another went for 1995 and another for around 2200. It all depends on who is looking at eBay and bidding on your individual camera.

The true test is in about a year when all the hype over the M9 has settled and are in great supply or in about 1-2 months when there is a true flood of M8 all around the world.

Mine is still minty. I considered selling it but then decided against it. No rush here either. It's good to know they are holding up.

Wilfredo - I have a distinct feeling you'll be getting an M9 before too long... the itch is just too strong, I think?

Seriously, I'd like to have a full-frame digital M as well, and when I see the FF plus Noctilux images I also start looking at my bank account.

But right now think the clincher for me is this: I'm pretty sure I'd regret no longer having the special look and colors of the M8 - and I'd have to sell that camera to afford the M9 (no way my partner would tolerate two new digital M cameras within a few months of each other).

The look between the cameras is different - so make sure you really want the new model before you throw out the old. If you can afford to keep both - lucky you!

My local dealer thinks that M8 series used bodies will hold fairly steady once they settle into a price range. In the Stephan Daniel video, he seemed to express that Leica was happy to have an active secondary market for the M8s (that comment about your first Porsche 911 being a used one).

I think that there are a bunch of early adopters out there (a mix of rational pro/serious amateur shooters and the "gotta-have" droolers), but also others who may upgrade in the next year or two, and those that will just keep shooting with the M8. That speaks to a better modulated demand curve.

If I get an M9, I'd like to think that I can get a decent price for my M8u -- and I'd also like to think I'm helping someone in their desire to experience RF photography with a good camera body.

I've been searching for a month now, and seen many sales and non sales on ebay. While many went for a good price a couple of weeks ago, I have noticed a slow down and many failed sales in the last week (show as sold, but they then re-appear a few days later).

I have also put the word out with some Leica dealers in my search for a specific camera at a specific price. One store with six units for sale admits the owners are holding out for a price they will be unlikely to realize, while another has five units in at the end of this week; mint condition, some with clean unregistered passports, late serial numbers, and to be sold at a price that is sure to set a new market value for M8.2s over the next month or so.

look at the bay and u see a lot of m8 gone for nothing.

cheers

andy

Andy - seriously - next time you see one of these M8s going for "nothing" - let me know.

btw: I'm laughing now because this sort of 'hit-and-run' stuff is the way people interact on the net these days. You know, "a lot of m8 gone for nothing. cheers". It's funny. Really.

Anyway, like I said - give me a heads-up. I want an M8 "for nothing". ;)

Greetings,

I have been looking for a used M8.2 and they are certainly holding their value even on the 'bay'. I think as the M9 becomes more readily available this may change but who knows. With tax in November 2006 an M8 was 6000$+ CDN.

A secondary digital M market can only be a good thing - it should get more people interested in Leica as the prices go down on the M8/M8.2 bodies.

Best to all, Terry.

I have a little money put aside and have been considering a used M8 to compliment my film MP. eBay prices seem to be around US$2300-2500 right now. If/when they get down to around US$2000 then I will be able to give it a shot... that is if the X1 doesn't tempt me away.

I put one of my M8's on eBay -- at the price that several had gone for recently.

There are a lot of people following the auction. It's still got a week to run, but I'll post the results when all the shouting is over.

My dealer told me to get the M9 order in so that we'd get in the queue. I wonder how long an M9 will take to arrive in the backwater of Boston.

Hey, brother!

You're not going to sell your M8 just for a M9 to take pictures of your dog, are you? :D

Good! I feel relieved!

PS: Private joke.

Well, he does hold very still (dead a long time ago).

I am starting to salivate over the M9. C'mon eBay brethren. Then, c'mon Leica rep!