Is the X1 just a $2,000 P&S?

hammam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Forgive my ignorance, I've just discovered there is a Leica X1 coming soon. But what is it exactly that justifies a $2,000 price tag for what looks basically like a P&S camera to me, albeit a very «chic» one, with a «Leica» lens (the Panasonic LX--3 also has a «Leica» lens, as does the D-Lux 4, at a fifth of the price) without viewfinder, and with an APS-C size sensor (is it the same as in Nikon's D300?) Which means the «Elmarit» 24 mm will become a standard 35 mm, right? Sorry, but I don't get it. Am I missing something?

Edited by hammam

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will stick with the Dlux4 It has close up macro capability-a larger lcd with higher resolution-It has quality HD motion pics-It is just that much smaller to fit in a pocket the x1 wouldnt get into-no zoom capability at all. The X1 lens would have to be worth the 2000 price or this cameras price will drop like a rock.I may pick it up when it hits 600.00 .Though I just cant count Leica out so this must be the best film quality 12 mg ever made ?????

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Forgive my ignorance...

I'm not meaning to be disrespectful, but in your enumeration of what defines the X1 you already mentioned the most important feature but in a way that makes it sound as if it were a minor detail.

As me and others have repeatedly stated here, the most important part is that the X1 will be a compact camera with a sensor that is absolutely huge for such a small body. The only real competition is the Sigma DP1/DP2, but its sensor is smaller. And then there are the new "micro FourThirds" models from Panasonic and Olympus, but their sensors are again smaller than the one in the Sigma. All other sensors in all other P&S cameras are dwarfed by the X1 sensor.

Most customers won't care about the sensor size at all, they'll buy what their dealer talks them into. Some customers might care, but they probably don't realize what difference the sensor size can make - they'll rather look at features that "sound nicer" like zoom lenses or the number of megapixels. I think it'll be a real challenge for Leica (and Sigma) to explain to the public that cameras like the X1 and the DP2 are not just yet another P&S.

Forgive my ignorance .... Am I missing something?

Yes. Please give me camera make and model, shooting better images at U$ 2000.

- superlarge sensor (even bigger than newest EOS 7D)

- superlow pixel density (low noise)

- superfine glass, don't ever compare it to P&S so-called "zoom optics"

- supercompact stiff body

I know, its a lot of money to many people.

Jaak

That really isn't the point is it? The point is whether the camera is worth $2000 to a large enough number of people.

But what is Your opinion? At this image quality level, what camera You'll suggest? I bet that half of all DSLR-s model range (equipped with F2,8 anything) are > U$ 2000. So, it not unusually high price-point in semi-pro / prosumer sector.

Lens interchangeability indeed is good point. But I believe,that Leica is not going to make interchangeable lenses for anything less than M9 / S2.

Or same question turned around. Whay should be the right price for that camera, compared to other cams with similar IQ / functionality?

Jaak

I am weary of the X1 being referred to as a P&S :mad:

Its metal BODIED - most PS are lucky to have metal frames let alone metal bodies

It has analog aperture and other controls

Large sensor

Fixed focal length lens

Large aperture

Takes RAW images

There isn't even a PASM wheel to be seen

Very few P&S have these parameters, the DP1/2 and ... ?

I think the X1 is in a class of its own.

About the only things that are similar with a P&S are the motor retracting lens, and the pop up flash - but even then most DSLRs have pop-up flash so that does not count.

So the only similarity is the retracting lens!! No P&S here!

Mani some may feel it is the ideal alternative to the m8/9 which costs a lot more than a pocketful of shrapnel. A X1 and a small film Ricoh/XA/CM/Z2Z will do the job for just about everything for the likes of me and many others. Two grand is a reasonable price to pay if it means leaving the Nikon DSLR and the RD1 home.

Tim I have all intentions of pointing and shooting with it

Forgive my ignorance, I've just discovered there is a Leica X1 coming soon. But what is it exactly that justifies a $2,000 price tag for what looks basically like a P&S camera to me, albeit a very «chic» one, with a «Leica» lens (the Panasonic LX--3 also has a «Leica» lens, as does the D-Lux 4, at a fifth of the price) without viewfinder, and with an APS-C size sensor (is it the same as in Nikon's D300?) Which means the «Elmarit» 24 mm will become a standard 35 mm, right? Sorry, but I don't get it. Am I missing something?

The M9 does not even have a mirror box and costs more than the EOS 5D MK II

Your observations are completely driven by price. The D-Lux 4 is 1/5 of the price, but the sensor is probably just 1/5 of the size, making the X1 a bargain...? Do you think of the Rollei 35, Contax T series and others as point and shoot cameras? It is hard to find a decent small digital camera to walk around that offers quality pixels. Even the D300 requires quite good a lens for best results. The X1 is not a bargain and wants to set the top standard in small size cameras. Dp1 and Dp2 from Sigma may come close, but have some red channel IR trouble, high ISO noise, etc. If the X1 delivers what can be expected from a $2000, it is well worth the money. Having worked will all sensor and camera sizes, I have yet to find a small camera with decent image quality. D-Lux4, GR1, etc. no good, DP1 nice, but not perfect yet.

Mani some may feel it is the ideal alternative to the m8/9 which costs a lot more than a pocketful of shrapnel. A X1 and a small film Ricoh/XA/CM/Z2Z will do the job for just about everything for the likes of me and many others. Two grand is a reasonable price to pay if it means leaving the Nikon DSLR and the RD1 home.

I would probably have bought one imants at this price too - with extra for those one or two interchangeable lenses that I was talking about. Little fast pancake lenses - one of them super-wide - the camera would be a killer.

I'm afraid that, even with all the advantages you guys are talking about, the perception of the camera among most people will be 'very expensive P&S'. You can change that perception straight away with a removable lens.

How come nobody wants to rake Leica over the coals for the prices of their binoculars? I find a $2,100 US street price for a pair of Leica 8 x 32s, while I can get the "same thing" from Pentax for $350. :confused:

(When my local store started carrying Leica cameras, they were also looking forward to carrying the Leica binoculars and scopes.)

The other Leica P+S, called M8, still costs much more with lens, but is not coat pocketable. It's that simple.

with extra for those one or two interchangeable lenses that I was talking about

That's another camera that Leica can make if they feel the need to but interchangeable lenses have nothing to do with the X1 and there is a heap who buying a camera not perception......... your m8 plus lenses are overpriced.

The Digilux 2 cost just about 2k when it first came out. And a lot of people thought it was a dud back then, too. If the X1 image quality is at least as good as that of my D2, I will be dumping my Olympus EP-1 and getting one!

So will I, but dump EP1 and DP2 (the latter one can produce stunning results, by the way).