Inherited 1956 Leica M3

theblotted

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hi all,

i inherited a Leica M3 from my late Grandfather. it's my very first "serious" camera ever, and i'm loving it. it's pre-1 million serial, so still has the double winder (which i actually prefer) and older shutter speeds. came with a 50mm f/1.5 Summarit, UVa filter, original brown leather case, and MC light meter.

i tried a few rolls at first, with minimal success. did lotsa reading, and eventually took it to Steve's Camera Service Center in Culver City. what supposedly should've taken 2~3 weeks, came back after 6 weeks due to backups and amount to fix.

but now that it's back... i love it even more! the original MC light meter is retired cuz of the photo cell. i added a Voigtlander VCII, JA domed soft release, and a ML-Grip. everyday i look forward to taking more shots.

just wanted to say hi and share my enthusiasm!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

some shots with the M3

My congratulation for Your M3 and especially that You cherish it!

With the Summarit the photos really look as if they were made in the 50s - even the electronics have this fashion ;)

I must admit that the grip on the M3 looks ghastly....though I hope it helps You to keep using the M3.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

thank you all for the warm welcome!

i'm usually the one that never receives anything free... esp at this caliber. i feel very blessed, but best of all is that this Grandfather's M3 opened up a whole new exciting world of photography for me. it's like that fresh new breath of air in life.

UliWer,

i also agree that this camera makes everything have an 'old school' look to it. better yet, compared to any digital camera's out there, it seem to tell a story in each shot - full of character and plot/suspense/drama. and you really don't like the grip? cuz i think it's pretty awesome...:D do you recommend a diff grip?

Cool camera! I like the photo of the bridge too-- the starburst effect on the lamp is unusual. Welcome to the forum and keep posting more photos.

thank you Mike. all the pic's are untouched, except the bridge one was cropped a bit... i'm not that good with PS:o

a few more... this is a band i'm mixing for recently. a recording session between the singer/guitarist and bassist. to be able to choose the subject using the focus is like no other.

Edited by theblotted

With a 50 1,5, right you look for an even more luminous 35... :)... good the Nokton: and remember you need an external VF... another smart and cheap choice : a good old Elmar 90 f4 : not difficult to find, not costly, pleasant compact old lens.

Enjoy the M3 and welcome to this forum !!!

P.S. : the grip is terrible... :rolleyes: ... M3 is SO nice... :o... but you take excellent pics, and one has to get as comfortable as he can.

thank you for the tip Luigi! btw i came across many pic's of yours while lurking and you are one talented & knowledgeable shooter! do you have any thoughts on 35/1.4 vs. 35/1.2 vs. 40/1.4 Nokton's?

i don't know if it's just me, but it's difficult to take shots without any grip.. the rubber cushion really helps, and i like how the bottom covers/protects the original M3 bottom casing...

a few more from this week..

thank you for the tip Luigi! btw i came across many pic's of yours while lurking and you are one talented & knowledgeable shooter! do you have any thoughts on 35/1.4 vs. 35/1.2 vs. 40/1.4 Nokton's?

i don't know if it's just me, but it's difficult to take shots without any grip.. the rubber cushion really helps, and i like how the bottom covers/protects the original M3 bottom casing...

Thanks for your words... but personally I have NONE of the lenses you quote... :o: a friend of mine has the 35 1,2 and loves it a lot... my 35 is the Summicron asph : superb lens ! I even gave away my Summicron 40 when realized that, at the end, I'd probably wouldn't evermore use it (for the "old spice", if sometime I feel nostalgic, I've a bunch of old Leitz 35s from 1930 to 1960... ;))