A Deeper Beauty: 90mm Elmarit on Canon 5D II

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After some discussion on bokeh on a separate section of this forum, I decided to purchase a previously owned 90mm Elmarit R to use alongside my new Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 on my Canon 5D II (which BTW I love even if it has a less pleasing bokeh, the Zeiss has other advantages). This Elmarit will be used mostly for portraits of women. The lens arrived today. I took these shots with it wide open at f/2.8. I can tell already that I will be using this version of the 90mm Elmarit more so than I ever did the one I had for my M8. I sold that lens a few weeks ago although it never disappointed me. It's just much easier to use a 90mm lens on a DSLR.

The hand on piano shot shows the bokeh much better. I'm really glad I got this lens, I also like that it is small and lite in comparison to the Zeiss lens. :-). Thank you Ben for for making the suggestion to purchase a 90mm R lens. BTW, the lady in the photo works with me at St. Anselm's parish. Her name is Hoa Mai. She has an inner glow that makes her very beautiful. She is 64 years old and radiant! The hand belongs to my choir director :-).

Edited by wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you all. I didn't have much time today to play with the lens but I snatched the people around me and got them to stand in front of the camera. Here are two more shots, all at f/2.8. It looks like I'm going to get more out of this lens on my 5D Mark II than I anticipated.

Ben:

Yes I acted fast. I got the lens on auction on E-bay. It came with the adapter for the Canon, a B+W UV filter, and the Elpro 3 lens that turns it into a virtual macro lens. This whole combo was $530.00, I couldn't pass it up.

Edited by wilfredo

Wilfredo, splendid portraits! I don't use often this lens since I have the Summilux 80 but it's a real little gem.

Thanks! I came close to purchasing the Summilux 80 but opted for the new Carl Zeiss 85mm f/1.4, it has some features I really like, focus confirm and electronic aperture control. I got this lens for better bokeh at wider apertures but I find the size and weight very agreeable. I'm really happy with it, and for the price, it couldn't be beat.

Edited by wilfredo

Artz,

Vicki and Nieves are both camera shy. But I won't quit working on it.

Well, you can tell (beg) them it's just for me... I'm sure they will be less camera shy... :o Anyway, say hello to both of them! :)

Anyway, brother, oustanding pictures!