Inspirational Photographers- B&W

kenneth

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Most of the names I know, a few I don't, but will. One name I see didn't listed here is Darius Kinsey. Here in the Pacific Northwest he is known for his old pics of Loggers. My Grandfather befriended him in the early 1900's. He was a logger at the time and is in a couple of his photos during his Snoqualmie, and Sedro-Woolly period. Worked with large format mostly.

Edited by Artorius

..... and Sally Mann.

Absolutely Sally Mann! Fantastic work. And for other large format work I'd like to see more Minor White, its almost like his photographs have disappeared from exhibitions and publishing.

But the one I keep coming back to as a key figure is Joseph Koudelka.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Unless I've missed them somewhere, four particularly important -- influential and inspirational -- B&W photographers have been overlooked in this enormous & enormously rich list, a couple of whom (one in particular), without being at all arty (qua Man Ray) prolly did as much to establish "photography" as in every sense a modern "art" form as anyone one might name.

Leni Riefenstahl, self-described "ardent" Leica devotee & photographic impresario of the first water (LTMs, Ms, and one of her finest later books, maybe her finest, used SLmots, I think) - my favorites are People of Kau, Last of the Nuba, and (although it's now a little Nat'l Geo-ish) the underwater Coral Gardens, but these are not B&W - for B&W see, e.g., Riefenstahl Olympia (and the movie), which more or less invented sports photography as we know it. She's prolly as important a photographic figure as anyone, B&W or color, moving or still, Leica or anything else.

Gisele Fruend, renowned portraitist who sometimes used Leicas - e.g., Gesele Freund: Photographs, Three Days with (James) Joyce, etc. . . .

Didier Lefevre, altogether a Leica M, whose "embedded" B&W war photojournalism gives ineluctable dignity & seriousness to both these often merely glib terms - see the postumous tour de force by Emmanuel Guibert, The Photographer [=Lefevre]: Into War Torn Afghanistan with Doctors Without Borders (the war in question is the Soviet occupation of that country, not the currant US/NATO occupation).

Erwin E Smith, (real) cowboy (real) photographer who had studied art & whose B&W "documentary" work is monumental - sort of provides everything Garry Winogrand's Stock Photographs as it were omits or suppresses or otherwise loses - e.g., Life on the Texas Range, J Evetts Haley & Erwin Smith, and Cowboy with a Camera: Erwin E Smith Cowboy Photographer, D Worcester & Erwin Smith . . .

Finally, we naturally want to include Man Ray, celebrated minor surrealist, dadaist, et al - see Man Ray Photo, and Lee Miller, just named above by Steve, surrealist, portraitist, and woman combat photojournalist (maybe the only one in the West, it is said; anyway, the Allied West) in WWII Europe - see Lee Miller's War, Anthony Penrose, ed., all B&W, and, generally, the archive: Lee Miller Archive - 20th Century photography and Surrealism . . . She may have used some Leicas.

Apologies if I've overlooked prior mention of these . . .

Edited by storybrown

• 2 weeks later...