Inspirational Photographers- B&W

kenneth

So, nobody has mentioned Sylvia Plachy so far? Her book "Unguided Tour" is still one of my favorites.

Edi,

Thanks for adding another fine photographer and a female at that! I checked out your blog: not so bad at all :D And a good idea to get yourself to go out and take those photos.

Thanks for adding another fine photographer and a female at that!

I forgot to mention that "Unguided Tour" comes with a little (plastic) record from Tom Waits specifically made for the book, i.e. you're supposed to listen to it while you look at the pictures. If you're like me and you still have a turntable, that is.

A nice idea IMHO. Are there any other photo books out there that come with music?

I checked out your blog: not so bad at all :D

Thanks... :)

And a good idea to get yourself to go out and take those photos.

Yeah, I was going to give my new (old) M7 a walk today, but it's simply too cold and dark. Maybe tomorrow... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Jason Eskenazi's book "Wonderland" is back in print and worth buying.

Jason Eskenazi | WONDERLAND: A Fairy Tale of the Soviet Monolith

Here is a video of him.

VIDEO: Jason Eskenazi, photographer · Habitus

I must also add:

Charles Harbutt

GIlles Peress

Burk Uzzle

At some point they all worked in black and white.

Hello to all,

Up to now I was mainly a grateful reader of the forum. This inspiring thread makes me want to share some authors. As far as I could see the following three haven't been mentioned before:

- Izis (Israëlis Bidermanas): A true poet. See, e.g., the book "Paris des rêves". Strange enough, he has almost been forgotten among his Parisian peers Doisneau, Bresson and Ronis. The first exhibit since decades just opened in Paris.

- Philip Jones Griffith: His book "Vietnam, Inc." is most powerful photo journalism, and that's only a share of his work.

- Antoine D'Agata: Somewhat more conceptual, very punchy black and white.

• 2 weeks later...
Not listed yet (I think) and very interesting IMHO: Paolo Nozolino. See for example his book "Far Cry" and also "Penumbria". In addition to shooting great photos, he also uses Leicas.

Correction: He's called Paulo Nozolino. My apologies.

Just my two cents, but I'd like to add that Nozolino's book "Far Cry" which I received a few days ago is one of the best photo books I've ever seen. (And I know quite a few and have a collection of about 400 myself.) I already owned "Penumbria" and thought Nozolino was someone to watch out for, but "Far Cry" really knocked my socks off. I've rarely, if ever, seen a book where virtually all photos are so emotion-laden and disturbing at the same time and I'm returning to it several times per day.

Needless to say (it's a Steidl book), the print quality is also fantastic. Which in this case is probably even more important than with other photographers. You can find some of Nozolino's photos if you search the Web, but viewing them on a computer screen really can't do them justice.

I'm surprised that Mr. Nozolino isn't as famous as some of his contemporaries.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...