Inspirational Photographers- B&W

kenneth

Advertisement (gone after registration)

lee friedlander

michael ott

garry winogrand

walker evans

henry wessel

Who is michael ott??? Could you provide a link to his surely outstanding work :p ???

I'd like to add another michael to the list however: Michael Ackermann, particularly on the strength of his book "End time city".

Rgds, C.

I suppose I was very lucky when I was at college to have teachers of the calibre of Paul Hill, Ray Moore, Thomas Joshua Cooper and John Blakemore.

All pretty inspiring. :)

Nearly forgot Christopher Seiberling!

Edited by Broadside
spelling!

Not many women so far......

Not many I agree, but Mary Ellen Mark and Lee Miller are/were truly outstanding and they are just the two who's work I most appreciate - there are many more whose pictures I'm sure appeal to other photographers. Incidentally I went to Miller's exhibition at the V&A some time ago and have to say she was not only a great photographer but quite a character too!

I am reading a book about Bill Brandt, a very (the most) influential English photographer. Actually he was German but moved to England in the thirties. A very enigmatic person, didn't wan't to tell a lot about himself, had to do with him being German. Quite like his pictures, think he isn't mentioned yet.

I am reading a book about Bill Brandt, a very (the most) influential English photographer. Actually he was German but moved to England in the thirties. A very enigmatic person, didn't wan't to tell a lot about himself, had to do with him being German. Quite like his pictures, think he isn't mentioned yet.

Post #55.

By what means have you ascertained that he the most influential English or German photographer?

I know a few Germans who can't stop talking about themselves.

Joan Colom

Raymond Depardon

Cristina Garcia-Rodero

Mario Giacomelli

Graciela Iturbide

Sergio Larrian

Saul Leiter

Bernard Plossu

Milton Rogovin

Paolo Roversi

Fazal Sheik

great b&w photographers, all, to add your fantastic list

Edited by adam b
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Anthony Allison is a Leica photographer that I used to know. He published a book called "Hear These Voices" which it seems is no longer in print. His M6 was the first I'd ever held. His work IMO epitomizes the Leica style. He gave me one of his prints from Africa.

I cannot find any of his work online, so if you happen to see his book at a used bookstore, it's worth a look. Amazon has some used ones too.

Hear These Voices: Amazon.ca: Anthony Allison: Books

Hear These Voices offers a glimpse into the steely lives of 15 at-risk youths, ages 10 to 19, who are trying to better themselves and rise above astonishing circumstances. The stories range from that of Muay in Thailand, whose stepfather sold her into prostitution at age 10, to Carrie in Denver, Colorado, who was bounced from foster homes to shelters and gang raped before she decided to move and pursue her dream of getting her GED.