reality check -- quality

jackart

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've used different Leica digital cameras starting from Digilux 1. Never had a quality issue.

Week ago I bought camera to my daughter. It is Canon 450d with 24-70 F2,8 lens. From the start I wondered why the images are not sharp. Now it occurred that camera needs "additional adjustments". I'm quite a busy and this is no good to run after warranty service and wait to get cam back. Never buy Canon DSLR again.

Jaak

I've used different Leica digital cameras starting from Digilux 1. Never had a quality issue.

Week ago I bought camera to my daughter. It is Canon 450d with 24-70 F2,8 lens. From the start I wondered why the images are not sharp. Now it occurred that camera needs "additional adjustments". I'm quite a busy and this is no good to run after warranty service and wait to get cam back. Never buy Canon DSLR again.

Jaak

Make sure you are shooting with camera set to AI Servo. I assure you, the Canon with out shoot a Digilux 1 on its worst day.

I suppose there's a chance you got a "bad one," but honestly, I'd double check what you're doing. These cameras suffer from too many controls and I fear (especially using that lens) you've got something amiss.

JT

Make sure you are shooting with camera set to AI Servo. I assure you, the Canon with out shoot a Digilux 1 on its worst day.

I suppose there's a chance you got a "bad one," but honestly, I'd double check what you're doing. These cameras suffer from too many controls and I fear (especially using that lens) you've got something amiss.

JT

Believe me, I can switch camera to AF and back to MF.

Today Canon admitted the fault and camera will be repaired under the warranty. Not happy, that I have to arrange all that..

And of course, 450D should make extraordinary images, but not my daughters bad unit.

Jaak

Today Canon admitted the fault and camera will be repaired under the warranty. Not happy, that I have to arrange all that..

Look at the bright side, at least Canon will give you a quick turnaround time on a repair. I bet you will have a working camera in your hands in 2 weeks.

Sorry this shot wasn't taken with a Leica, but will a Leica lover do.

My R lenses are begging me to go Canon Digital, I said NOT YET.

This shot was taken before it was dismantled because it buckled during some of our hot weather.

Camera G9. held whilst leaning against the wall, I certainly cannot complain about Canon D's

Ken.

PS...I beleive quite a few of the over expensive Leica M8's got a free trip back to Germany Lol.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hamey

Sorry this shot wasn't taken with a Leica, but will a Leica lover do.

My R lenses are begging me to go Canon Digital, I said NOT YET.

{snipped}

Camera G9. held whilst leaning against the wall, I certainly cannot complain about Canon D's

Ken.

PS...I beleive quite a few of the over expensive Leica M8's got a free trip back to Germany Lol.

Sure---just try shooting your G9 into the light once or twice and you'll step up your desire to give the R glass a good new home. You'll be surprised how much better R glass on a Rebel is than any of the flarey things they put on the G or other PS cameras.

Anyway, I've sent cameras in for service to Leica, to Canon, to Nikon and to Panasonic. They all break; and for all of them the most defective ones are usually found within 30 days so "out of the box". That's what happens when electronics are involved.

Totally agree Jamie,

After using my Leica R's for nearly 38 years and the M lens for 5 years I consider the G9 as a Digital Toy but comparing the price to the Leica's, it's a good buy and very handy to carry around, can fit into my shirt pocket and it's images are very good on the computer.

But for the real thing I use my R or M lenses.

Ken.

Don't be so hard on Canon, I use both Leica and Canon gear and faults just sometimes happen. The sarcastic comment from bobtodrick rings true to me. Once your 450 is working again, you'll love the 24-70 2.8, it was my first canon lens and is amazingly sharp. If it isn't send that back too for a calibration. In Hong Kong, where I live, Canon have great service and reasonably quick turn around times much much better then Leica.