Firmware Update Update

graeme_hutton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So many seem interested from a previous thread I thought I'd highlight this:

In relation to 'banding' this from Leica on a FW update........

15. September 2009/

Ulrich Deiß / Infoservice / Telefon 06442 208 - 111 / Telefax - 455 / info@leica-camera.com

Dear Mr. Graeme,

Thanks for your interest in the Leica M system.

The mentioned intermittent failure is now known by our Quality Department. We will fix that by a later LEICA M8 firmware update.

So is it not necessary to rectify the camera before warranty runs out.

Thank you for your understanding.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / kind regards

i. A. Ulrich Deiß

Leica Camera AG / Informationsservice /

Oskar-Barnack-Straße 11 / D-35606 Solms /

Leica Camera AG / info@leica-camera.com /

Telefon +49 (0) 6442-208-111 / Telefax 49 (0) 6442-208-339

Werden Sie Zeuge der Enthüllung der nächsten Generation von Leica Kameras.

Witness the unveiling of the next generation of Leica cameras.

Leica Camera AG

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Graeme Hutton [mailto:]

Gesendet: Montag, 14. September 2009 15:01

An: M8 Support; Unzustellbar

Betreff: M8 Intermittent Banding

Dear Leica

My M8, purchased December 2007 serial 3200xxx, is showing intermittent banding at higher iso. Of the exposures attached one shows the problem (20038).

The photograph showing the banding was the only one in a series taken on 'continuous shoot' mode to show the problem. Others before and after were all like the other shot attached (20039) and unaffected.

Is this an issue I should have rectified before my warranty runs out?

Regards

Graeme

Hi Graeme!!!

I would say you have been luckier than me! Because the answer I got from the customer service was just "send your camera for repair". Now I live in Frankfurt, Germany so I decided to go to Solms where I could talk directly to a technician. A gentleman fluent in both English and French.

He basically told me the same. Except that I had to take the train at 7 o'clock :) :)

So many seem interested from a previous thread I thought I'd highlight this:

In relation to 'banding' this from Leica on a FW update........

15. September 2009/

Ulrich Deiß / Infoservice / Telefon 06442 208 - 111 / Telefax - 455 / info@leica-camera.com

Dear Mr. Graeme,

Thanks for your interest in the Leica M system.

The mentioned intermittent failure is now known by our Quality Department. We will fix that by a later LEICA M8 firmware update.

So is it not necessary to rectify the camera before warranty runs out.

Thank you for your understanding.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / kind regards

i. A. Ulrich Deiß

Leica Camera AG / Informationsservice /

Oskar-Barnack-Straße 11 / D-35606 Solms /

Leica Camera AG / info@leica-camera.com /

Telefon +49 (0) 6442-208-111 / Telefax 49 (0) 6442-208-339

Werden Sie Zeuge der Enthüllung der nächsten Generation von Leica Kameras.

Witness the unveiling of the next generation of Leica cameras.

Leica Camera AG

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Graeme Hutton [mailto:]

Gesendet: Montag, 14. September 2009 15:01

An: M8 Support; Unzustellbar

Betreff: M8 Intermittent Banding

Dear Leica

My M8, purchased December 2007 serial 3200xxx, is showing intermittent banding at higher iso. Of the exposures attached one shows the problem (20038).

The photograph showing the banding was the only one in a series taken on 'continuous shoot' mode to show the problem. Others before and after were all like the other shot attached (20039) and unaffected.

Is this an issue I should have rectified before my warranty runs out?

Regards

Graeme

Guest BigSplash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

apart from fixing the shutter issue and ISO banding problem....neither of which I have personally experienced on my M8 ,,...it would be great if we could have some of the new firmware features on the M9.

I would like to see the manual lens selection, ISO button selector (use protect button of M8) and the monitor screen upgrade to show battery, no of frames taken etc etc as per M9 ...This could be useful in dim lighting despite having the top cover counter.

apart from fixing the shutter issue and ISO banding problem....neither of which I have personally experienced on my M8 ,,...it would be great if we could have some of the new firmware features on the M9.

I would like to see the manual lens selection, ISO button selector (use protect button of M8) and the monitor screen upgrade to show battery, no of frames taken etc etc as per M9 ...This could be useful in dim lighting despite having the top cover counter.

I think you have to buy an M9 to get those features. Apart from error corrections and updates for new lenses, Leica will probably not do many changes to the firmware of a discontinued camera.

Agree - none of those things are going to happen in the M8: Stefan Daniel has explicitly said in the Luminous Landscape interview that the possibility of some of the updates just cannot be justified by the cost, so I hardly think they'll be messing around with software that needs hardware changes (like the ISO button implementation).

The only thing I'd really like (apart from fixes naturally) is the ability to save uncompressed DNGs.

I don't see any reason why the unique selling proposition (USP in marketing parlance) would be given up to the M8.

They need to rack sales of the M9, not deter people from upgrading.

Sadly, they'll never cut prices because this is a seriously niche product that will never become close to mainstream, as the M was once before (obviously due to the SLR revolution).

I'd like to see more photography students shoot digital rangefinder (in addition to all other formats), and there are really only two manufacturers. I think this would tremendously move the field forward with artists, rather than technicians.

Anyway, I've seen the banding issue exactly twice:

Lame!

3926625130_0d7302a83f.jpg

The shutter issue… I can't even count *shoot* WIND WIND WIND WIND… bleh

--

The Young Artist Who Became the Old Man Pining for Art

I won't ask for any new features, but I do hope Leica keeps the support for M8 FW because as issues show up, they need to be fixed. From the OP, looks like they are. Abandoning the M8 users as soon as M9 comes out is too early to stop software support. I would expect, when M10 comes out then it is reasonable to say no more FW support for M8.

I really would like if they figured out what eats files. I just lost couple of days of every day shots again. I know I had files because I reviewed them. Then went on the trip (without downloading these files) and continue to shoot on same card. Only files from the trip are there. Only thing I did is changed the battery before taking off, but I changed it after ward as well.

In regard to M9 features migrating downward to M8, it won't happen. You might want to check the LuLa Stefan Daniel interview video, where the question was specifically raised.

The M9 was designed with those features in mind. Adding them to M8 would be costly and counterproductive.

... I really would like if they figured out what eats files. ...

tanka, have you talked to Leica about this?

Others who had what I think were similar problems had their cameras repaired.

Has yours been to Leica for service after January 2008? If so, you shouldn't be seeing something like this.

Anyway, I've seen the banding issue exactly twice:

Lame!

3926625130_0d7302a83f.jpg

Funny: no one commented.

IMHO this picture does not illustrate the banding issue (which shows as faint vertical parallel 'stripes' at high ISO) but just the well known and understood green line: caused by an overload of light on neighbouring pixels (usually just outside the frame). One on the M8's in-bred oddities and nothing to be worried about. One of the proprieties of this green line is that it only shows on one half of the picture, as is does here. That has to do with the read-out of the sensor in two halves.

The new firmware for banding would be considered a maintenance one.

I think also the manual setting of uncoded lens could be considered an adjustement of maintenance like the first one, so the M8 users can hope to have it!

I think it would be an important and very appreciated policy form Leica.

Regards, Daniel

The new firmware for banding would be considered a maintenance one.

I think also the manual setting of uncoded lens could be considered an adjustement of maintenance like the first one, so the M8 users can hope to have it!

I think it would be an important and very appreciated policy form Leica.

Regards, Daniel

The trouble is, as stated above, Stefan Daniel has already explained that the process would be too difficult to implement in the firmware without a major re-write, and quite simply there are no resources for such an upgrade on a camera that's no longer creating revenue.

I can see his point, and I think it's great he's been open and honest about it.