Milton Keynes stuns with its efficiency - again!

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On this horrible cold wet rainy day in France, my UK dealer phones me this afternoon: "Mr. Laidlaw - you will be very pleased to hear that Milton Keynes have sent us your M9." My day is made but not for long. The conversation goes on; ".....but what colour did you order?" "Grey" I reply. "Oh dear" comes the response "Milton Keynes seems to have sent us a Black one."

I cannot recall, over many years of Leica ownership, ever having had a wholly satisfactory transaction or interaction with the Milton Keynes branch of Leica. Nice to see they are keeping their standards up.

Wilson

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WIlson, how many orders did your dealer have placed for M9s?

Your situation is exactly why, in my order in the States, I specified "first available color".

Because Leica here just divides up the cameras among the regions without regard to color - if they don't have enough of each color to fulfill every single order exactly. I made the mistake of specifying "black" for my first M8 - and the first camera actually received in my region and by my dealer was chrome, and my shop gave it to the first person on the list who had ordered chrome (#4 on the list overall).

I'd have welcomed the call you received, and said "Chrome is fine, so long as it's NOW!"

I.E., Leica will send the first 20 cameras to the first 20 ordering stores - but if they have 15 black and 5 gray available, that's what they send, even if the orders are for 10 black and 10 gray. They do TRY to match the ordered color, but if the dealer has orders for both colors, it's luck of the draw which color comes in FIRST.

It's just a function of how the proportions of black and gray manufactured in the initial production run differ from the proportions of black and gray actually ordered. Leica does not build to order, except for a la carte.

-----

BTW, as my wife reminds me, the same thing happened when we bought our first Honda Civic. We specified "green", and when the dealer's next shipment came in, there were no green cars included. Civics were in such huge demand that Honda just shipped whatever they had to the dealers. We took a silver car, instead of waiting until - whenever - Honda got around to including a green car in our dealer's allotment.

Edited by adan

I know the feeling, though "my" dealer didn't excuse but went straight to telling how bad grey would have been if he had filled out my order properly and shipped the grey I ordered.

The black isn't bad. It's just not grey. But the M9 is a lovely camera and somehow the black looks reminds me Digilux 1 and 50ties design with the chrome lenses.

WIlson, how many orders did your dealer have placed for M9s?

Your situation is exactly why, in my order in the States, I specified "first available color".

Because Leica here just divides up the cameras among the regions without regard to color - if they don't have enough of each color to fulfill every single order exactly. I made the mistake of specifying "black" for my first M8 - and the first camera actually received in my region and by my dealer was chrome, and my shop gave it to the first person on the list who had ordered chrome (#4 on the list overall).

I'd have welcomed the call you received, and said "Chrome is fine, so long as it's NOW!"

I.E., Leica will send the first 20 cameras to the first 20 ordering stores - but if they have 15 black and 5 gray available, that's what they send, even if the orders are for 10 black and 10 gray. They do TRY to match the ordered color, but if the dealer has orders for both colors, it's luck of the draw which color comes in FIRST.

It's just a function of how the proportions of black and gray manufactured differ from the proportions of black and gray ordered in the initial production run. Leica does not build to order, except for a la carte.

Andy,

Because of the circumstances surrounding my order and the behaviour/veracity of the Leica sales representative in various discussions with my dealer before and on the release date, after a telephone conversation between my dealer and David Bell, the MD of Leica UK, it was agreed that a grey M9 would be sent out as a 'special' to my dealer to arrive either Saturday or Monday. If this was part of a regular order I would agree that there is probably little control over colour. My M9 had been on order with a substantial deposit since the first week of August.

I have been a Leica user since the mid 1950's and the M9 will be my 7th digital Leica (glutton for punishment).

The point I was making that every time I have had any dealings with Leica UK over a considerable number of years, it has ended up as a blood pressure raising exercise. I now try to avoid having any dealings with them and either use third parties or deal direct with Solms. In my view, Leica would do well to close the entire operation down and deal direct with UK dealers from Germany. For service they could use the new Leica shop in London and just ship items to them to be forwarded say twice a week to Germany, as a bulk shipment.

Wilson

Understood. I have a jewel of a rep, who helps untangle the little bureaucratic things that pop up in Leica USA. Sounds like you're in the opposite situation.

Would be interesting to know (academically) if there even exists an unsold gray M9 in the UK today. viz: Leica M9: Photographers ditch DSLR cameras news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

So what colour is winging its way to you now? The colour of your choice I would like to hear.

George,

White with magenta tones probably.

Milton Keynes had gone home by the time I heard this an hour ago. They will be getting a phone call tomorrow morning from my dealer. I think I will phone the boss at the dealer first thing tomorrow and request that he speaks to David Bell again. I suspect that it the only way that something positive might happen. I am NOT optimistic this will be sorted anytime soon. My guess is that the big London dealers continue to hoover up all the stock.

Wilson

Wow Wilson, you are cross!. I'm sure you've every reason to be ;). But look on the bright side, your new camera will be in your hands as soon as they sort this mess out and it will all become a distant memory as you begin to explore what your lenses look like again on full frame.

Enjoy it when you get it, I'm envious of the fun you guys are going to have and looking forward to seeing all those lenses used to their full glory:(.

Wow Wilson, you are cross!. I'm sure you've every reason to be ;). But look on the bright side, your new camera will be in your hands as soon as they sort this mess out and it will all become a distant memory as you begin to explore what your lenses look like again on full frame.

Enjoy it when you get it, I'm envious of the fun you guys are going to have and looking forward to seeing all those lenses used to their full glory:(.

indeed...or send back the camera to lucky guy ;)

is it hard to resist it? :p

Yes Eoin, I am very cross. The rep attempted to mislead my dealer totally about my order. My dealer was furious as well as me, when the whole sorry fiction unravelled. An agreement was made with the MD of Leica UK on a resolution/restitution and then they make a mess of that as well. Just once I would like them to do something properly. All companies make mistakes but most companies when something goes wrong, make a special effort to make sure that they double check when they are putting it right.

Wilson

George,

White with magenta tones probably.

Milton Keynes had gone home by the time I heard this an hour ago. They will be getting a phone call tomorrow morning from my dealer. I think I will phone the boss at the dealer first thing tomorrow and request that he speaks to David Bell again. I suspect that it the only way that something positive might happen. I am NOT optimistic this will be sorted anytime soon. My guess is that the big London dealers continue to hoover up all the stock.

Wilson

Oh dear, sorry to hear about the grief you are experiencing. I'll avoid the common cliches since I have no wish to wind you up. Its just a shame that the Production and Delivery Departments can't match the marketing hype, mailed brochures to everyone and that video broadcast. Surely it does not take a very sophisticated sheet of paper pinned on the sales office wall to match special requests with supplies!

I don't think that the supply of M9s has been even across UK dealers

I think Stephens - who probably the main Manchester dealer these days - said that they were due to get two this week and another two next. I got the impression that the grey ones are very thin on the ground at production is concentrating on the black model at the moment.

He (David Stephens) was also very happy with the number of orders he'd taken.

Can I offer some support for the staff at Leica in Milton Keynes.

I was on an assignment recently photographing a new property for a client using my newly purchased WATE.

The WATE viewfinder developed an internal problem which was some dirt or foreign matter on the internals of the optics, this was very distracting trying to frame using the viewfinder.

A quick call to Leica which was luckily only 15 minutes away and they asked me to pop it in and the technician would look at it for me (this was Friday afternoon at this point).

On arrival at Leica the technician attended to the viewfinder immediately and while I was waiting the MD David Bell stopped to chat with me when passing.

The staff where very courteous and professional and I explained to the technician when he returned 10 minutes later with the cleaned viewfinder that I did not have any paperwork to support the warranty repair, but this was not a problem.

Excellent service.

Interesting company, Milton keynes, there seems to be a lot of references to Medical Doctors working for them... maybe that is the key to the issues.? I would think combined with health care issues Leica could face some prescriptions issues.? After all, GAS is probably a "preexisting condition".

How many grey M9s are out in the wild?

Would you rather wait a couple of months for a grey one, or do you want one now?

Seems a bit hard to so publicly criticise Leica UK.

Andy,

I am calling it as I see it - a very frustrated customer. This is a camera I will keep for many years (I still have my IIF bought new by my father in 1953), so I will wait for a grey one. I suspect one of my main lenses will be my 35 Summilux which is chrome. I don't mind black lenses on a chrome/grey body but I don't like chrome lenses on a black body. If Leica UK did not have a grey body to send to my dealer they should have said so in the phone call last Thursday. I suspect it is just a cock up and I hope they will get it sorted out.

I am afraid pretty much all my dealings with MK over years have been rubbish. NJ got very heavily criticised last year and now seem to be improving. If nobody tells MK in a public forum that their performance is unacceptable, they will never improve. Writing letters to them seems like water off a duck's back. My meeting with Stefan Daniel last year, where this was one of the subjects I was going to raise, got cancelled on the morning of the meeting, after I had driven to Solms and paid for an overnight stay. What else can I do?

Wilson

BTW, as my wife reminds me, the same thing happened when we bought our first Honda Civic. We specified "green", and when the dealer's next shipment came in, there were no green cars included. Civics were in such huge demand that Honda just shipped whatever they had to the dealers. We took a silver car, instead of waiting until - whenever - Honda got around to including a green car in our dealer's allotment.

When I was working overseas with British Council we always had British Ford cars shipped out for our personal use and I can't remember ever getting our first choice of colour - even though we were paying for the cars ourselves... In most 3rd world countries it was much more important to get the beefed-up suspension (and often the low-compression engine) rather than the exact colour we wanted.