With all this M9 chat I thought I'd show you what I did with my M8 in Madrid....

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Still a good camera and has helped me talk myself out of buying an M9 for a while - perhaps in time for my trip to Cuba in Feb 2010....

Anyway, here are some pics - all taken with Leica M8 and 35mm f/2 Summicron ASPH:

3918602545_35735d57ce_b.jpg

3909331471_c4d7d09d2a_b.jpg

3916438276_23cf204c8e_b.jpg

3921148214_bb9faccd71_b.jpg

Daniel....I will be in Santiago in February (provided my back holds firm). I'm somewhat in the same position as yourself. My wife and I will take a pair of M8s, an M7, and a Mamiya 7II/43/65 kit. I'm wondering if the M9 can replace my Mamiya 7II kit and one of my M8s. I really need to see the performance of my 21 and 24 Asph's on the M9 before I can make this decision. The Mamiya 43mm is the best wide angle made by any manufacturer, except perhaps the 55mm Rodenstock APO Grandagon...but thats an entirely different format.

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk

Well for the cost of an M9 I could get myself a 75 'cron and a 24mm Elmarit and hang onto my M8..... that's quite a quandry to have!

Even thought the M9 is out the M8 can produce some great images as it ever could - I was forgetting that when I saw the M9 brochure which is silly!

Daniel, your logic is sound. Get the glass first, that's most important. Then next year pick up an M9 once all the niggles have been worked out. I have both the 24 Elmarit Asph and 75 Cron and you will not be disappointed. Both are world class optics. I am very curious to see how the M9 stacks up against my Mamiya 7

Still a good camera and has helped me talk myself out of buying an M9 for a while - perhaps in time for my trip to Cuba in Feb 2010....

Anyway, here are some pics - all taken with Leica M8 and 35mm f/2 Summicron ASPH:

beautiful work! I suspect a used M8 might be a bargain.