Digital projectton resolution/DPI and sharpening

ptarmigan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

This is a new area for me. I need to prepare some digital images to a maximum of 1400 x1020. When I resize, what should I set the resolution DPI to? Typically I would use either 96 or 72 for monitor/web and 240 to 400 for printing, but digital projection is new to me.

Any help appreciated, it's for a local camera club competition.

As for sharpening, I use PixelGenius Photokit Sharpener 'Output Sharpening for Web' - is that the right option for projection?

Ian,

As far as I know, the digital projection is equal to screen and so should be 72 DPI. I think you have another "problem", though: the native size of your photos. IMHO the best approach would be to have really good sized photos (not enlarged, but out of camera the biggest possible resolution: ie M8 = 3916 x 2634 pixels). And of course hi res Jpegs.

But I could be on the wrong tack here, so let's see what a true profi will tell.

Ian,

As far as I know, the digital projection is equal to screen and so should be 72 DPI. I think you have another "problem", though: the native size of your photos. IMHO the best approach would be to have really good sized photos (not enlarged, but out of camera the biggest possible resolution: ie M8 = 3916 x 2634 pixels). And of course hi res Jpegs.

But I could be on the wrong tack here, so let's see what a true profi will tell.

Unfortunately they have specified a max width of 1400 and height of 1040. I suspect thats the max res of the projector but this is all new to me. I've projected slides for many years and been using digital for the past 5 but never digital projection.

Thanks anyway.

I often 'optimise' images for projection, generally at 1024 x 768 pixels at 72 ppi. So if I were you I'd crop to 1400 x 1040 pixels at 72 ppi. I usually carry out sharpening on this sized image at 100% on screen (seems to work fine). Problem areas are:

Some projectors burn out highlights easily - I use shadows/highlights in PS adjustments to dull down the highlights slightly to help here.

Some software takes not of colour profiles so I convertto and embed sRGB/

Some software (especially Powerpoint) resizes images and then they need to be dragged to full the screen - I have used Keynote which I liked but a new computer means that I'll have to upgrade my copy.