Lr 2.5

Ario Arioldi

Correct! I've posted a request for information to the LR Forum over at Adobe... If I get any news I'll report back here. Strange that there should be a new release of ACR / LR and that the M9's not included. However - it looks as if Leica made their decision to switch to LR very late in the day as in my M9 handbook C1 is the RAW converter in the print copy, with LR only mentioned in an addendum page.

LR was updated for the M8, so it will be for the M9. I wouldn't expect the update within only a few days of the camera's release, more like a few months.

Funny but Phase One updated C1 V4 a day or two after the M9 was announced and Phase One is not affiliated with Leica anymore.

Adobe Lightroom is being supply with the Leica M9 and the S2 so I would expect Adobe to get right on it.

LR was updated for the M8, so it will be for the M9. I wouldn't expect the update within only a few days of the camera's release, more like a few months.

Yeah... LR 2.5 update says "Additional camera support for several new camera models including the Nikon D3000 and Olympus E-P1"... The Oly has been out for a couple months... so as you said the updates are a few months behind...

But you would think that since Leica has partnered and ships LR with the M9 the camera profile would be available now?

Unfortunately the quality of the conversions seems to keep going down in LR. When I compare the new LR 2.5 against Bibble Pro 5 Beta, Bibble produces a much better image. The same is true for C1. I am a bit disappointed in LR and its image quality. Printing is its major plus.

I had this reply from an Adobe staffer on the Lightroom Forum:

Hi Chris,

We hope to have a profile ready before long. Unfortunately, no ETA yet. Thanks for your patience, and enjoy the M9. In the meantime, if you do have a ColorChecker you can try using DNG Profile Editor to build a profile automatically.

Eric

Looks like we have to wait for a bit - typically it's a 3 month update cycle for ACR and LR... :(

Chris, do you have a Macbeth colour checker? If so it's very easy to produce your own profile using the free software the Adobe guy mentions.

I'm surprised no one had uploaded one yet. Of course it would be specific to their camera, but would probably still be better than what's available currently.

Unfortunately the quality of the conversions seems to keep going down in LR. When I compare the new LR 2.5 against Bibble Pro 5 Beta, Bibble produces a much better image. The same is true for C1. I am a bit disappointed in LR and its image quality. Printing is its major plus.

If someone has purchased a print edited in Lightroom (for speed and ease of use) at a large size I will trudge through the C1 interface and produce nice, sharp, well coloured tiffs and move to photoshop for any dodging and burning etc.

Lightroom is very fast and easy, but Capture One and I'm hoping Bibble 5 (which I am planning to purchase) produce a better file. Anyone know a release date for bibble5?

I installed LR 2.5 before I'd shot any images on the M9, and have been trying to use it to convert a number of RAW test shots today.

Unfortunately LR is producing some very peculiar looking artefacts around areas of blown highlights, as in the attached example. They appear to be a permanent feature of the conversion process and carry over when the RAW images are converted to TIFFS.

Has anyone any idea what they are, and how I can eliminate them? They don't occur when I use the DNG converter in Photoshop itself.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jlancasterd
Corrected 'Photoshop for Lightroom in last sentence

The annoyance is that I do have a colour checker but I can't find it! If any one with the M9 is in a position to do this service and post a profile it could be very helpful - If mine turns up I'll definitely share.

Best

C:

I'll be able to do that next week, on monday, when the M9 will be delivered for testing.

Unfortunately LR is producing some very peculiar looking artefacts around areas of blown highlights, as in the attached example. They appear to be a permanent feature of the conversion process and carry over when the RAW images are converted to TIFFS.

This is known problem with 2.5 - Adobe is working on the issue - see here: Adobe Forums: LR 2.5 strange lines on highlights...

I'd recommend you add your examples to the Adobe thread; the more widespread Adobe believe the problem to be, the higher up the priority list it will go.

Sandy

This is known problem with 2.5 - Adobe is working on the issue - see here: Adobe Forums: LR 2.5 strange lines on highlights...

I'd recommend you add your examples to the Adobe thread; the more widespread Adobe believe the problem to be, the higher up the priority list it will go.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy!

That's a relief... I was beginning to wonder if it was a fault in the M9...

I'll mail Adobe

Thanks Sandy!

That's a relief... I was beginning to wonder if it was a fault in the M9...

I'll mail Adobe

It appears that this problem only occurs with LR on certain MAC computers - including the MAC PowerPC G5 which I use - and possibly only with RAW images from certain cameras. Adobe is working on a fix. In the meantime, the advice on the Adobe Forum is to reinstall LR 2.4, which is what I've done.