Digilux 2 - why it took me so long??

carlosecpf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First of all,

I would like to thank all Digilux 2 user on this forum. Without you I would never consider buying a 5 year old 5MP camera. NEVER.

I took the camera for a walk this weekend and I am so impressed with the JPEG output! I am just speechless. From portraits, to architecture, to low-light shots this camera never stops to amaze me. I dare to say its output is better looking than the ones produced by my 10MP D-lux4 and on par with the ones produced by my D3. I did a series of tests comparing the 3 cameras side-by-side and I am confident to say that.

I am so happy with the D2 that I bought yesterday B&H's last in stock Lumix Wide-Lens converter yesterday and ordered a Luigi's strap (which looks amazing in this camera).

I know I am not the only one praising this camera, specially at this forum, but I just wanted to share with you my happiness. Here are some shots I took during the weekend:

NYC

The photo number 12 was shot in RAW at ISO 400 and was the only one I applied noise reduction, using Dfine 2. All the others had none or little post processing like levels, contrast and brightness.

Thanks again for inspiring and encourage me to buy this little gem.

All my best,

Carlos

Enjoy your camera. I miss my D2. The sensor died (of course) so I sent it to Leica a couple of years ago. They said it would take a couple of months to fix, and offered an "upgrade" to a Digilux 3, so I "upgraded". I recently sold my Digilux 3 to help fund my M8. I enjoyed the Digi3, but not as much as the D2. I really miss that camera. By the way, I just found my 69mm Leica UV filter with case and box from my D2. Let me know if you need it.

I'm really enjoying my M8, but I still miss my baby - the Digilux 2.

Carlos, welcome to the D2 Appreciation Society! Your recent experience adds to the enduring appeal of this classic camera.

I skipped the upgrade to D3, so my D2 operates alongside my M8. Each has its place in my regular photography.

I rarely use ISO400, but my portfolio of Evita pictures on my website shows how well the D2 performs in contrasty theatrical lighting conditions with higher ISO settings. I do a lot of bounce flash work at home, mainly of pets etc, and it is just brilliant in that role. For that I use ISO200 to take account of light lost during bouncing. I also set a positive EV adjustment in flash mode which lifts the exposure performance.

You might like to look out for an ELPRO-D which allows even closer close-up photography. It is a fine attachment, albeit at a price, is scarce but worth seeking and considering. The Leica version is allegedly superior to others offered.

My congratulations! Yes, the Digilux 2 is really unique, although it appears to be technically out-dated.

I love this camera very much, and I do not know any other one that would fit my preferences that much.

Best regards, Peter. :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Enjoy your camera. I miss my D2. The sensor died (of course) so I sent it to Leica a couple of years ago. They said it would take a couple of months to fix, and offered an "upgrade" to a Digilux 3, so I "upgraded". I recently sold my Digilux 3 to help fund my M8. I enjoyed the Digi3, but not as much as the D2. I really miss that camera. By the way, I just found my 69mm Leica UV filter with case and box from my D2. Let me know if you need it.

Hi Agreenspan,

I am still debating which camera I like more: the D2 or D3. However, I am spending so much time with the D2 lately, which might indicate my preference already.

I would love to have your UV filter. Please tell me how much it would cost!

Regarding an M... I am not sure if I will ever "upgrade" to an M. the manual focus is something that I need to get use to, but I am afraid I will not. :/

You might like to look out for an ELPRO-D which allows even closer close-up photography. It is a fine attachment, albeit at a price, is scarce but worth seeking and considering. The Leica version is allegedly superior to others offered.

Hi David,

I tried to find the ELPRO-D but it seems to be really scarce. I bought the one made for the Lumix LC1 (offical panasonic part) instead. I heard it is not the same, but I will give it a try. I will post the results later here.

Thanks!

Yes, the ELPRO is quite expensive. Does anybody know its enlargement factor?

I have a close-up lens from B+W, and it does its job well in most cases. The following image was taken with my Digilux 2 and this close-up lens, and the image was cropped a bit.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Beautiful shot! I am looking forward to start using my lumix macro lens as soon as it arrives!

Is it recommended to use the Macro lens for taking portraits shots? It seems that the DOF becomes pretty shallow, at least considering your shot above. I read at Thorsten website that he uses D2's Macro mode to take portraits shots, so I was wondering if the use of a Macro lens could enhance that effect.

......... By the way, I just found my 69mm Leica UV filter with case and box from my D2. Let me know if you need it.

Agreenspan: i'm interested in that UV filter -- i just cant find one...

could you pm me

thanks

Rich

What never ceases to amaze me about this camera is how it seems to just keep getting better. I recall when I first started shooting with it, I would be apprehensive and over cautious with my shooting. I wasn't mentally comfortable. Of course, that got better and better. But now since I'm "in season" and using my Canon gear for work, I'm not using the Digilux 2 as often, I've noticed that when I do pick up the Leica, it is SO comfortable and I shoot much more easily than I used to.... and the photographs just keep getting better.

Seriously, I sometimes feel a bit silly with the affair I am having with this camera. LOL

JT

There's been a lot of D2 activity on eBay (here in the UK) in the last few weeks - I've been out bid each time. One even went for $1100/€800.

However, I did manage to get the evil twin - LC1. It arrived this morning and just holding it, I can see what all the fuss is about. It takes me back many years to my beloved Nikkormat FT2. Until I bought my D-Lux4 I had no idea that such a camera as the D2/LC1 existed.

So - much to learn (or rather re-learn).

This has been an interesting thread - I had no idea when I started reading it I'd end up a nervous wreck from so many ebay near misses. Or that I be spending money. Thanks everyone.

ian

Both the D2 and LC1 are really wonderful cameras producing superb files. I echo David's comments about the 69mm Leica Elpro close up lens, it is very good indeed and easy to use once you have it fitted. It produces images that are superior in my view to the Digilux-4 but not quite as convenient to carry around! I will never part with mine, I know that!;)

I tried to find the ELPRO-D but it seems to be really scarce. I bought the one made for the Lumix LC1 (offical panasonic part) instead. I heard it is not the same, but I will give it a try. I will post the results later here.

I've had great results with the Lumix, and have bought a second one as backup. BTW They're $67 at Video Direct, which also has the wide-angle lens for $413. I don't know what would be better about the Elpro in terms of IQ. I understand the Lumix gets you to 16mm of the subject, while the Elpro is 15. It would be interesting if someone posted a comparison.

Edited by jrethorst