X1 Does Use Sony CMOS ... and More

sdai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You could run the following link through Google. It is from Stefan Daniel's presentation in Japan. There are several major questions answered:

1. X1 uses a Sony CMOS sensor.

2. It does have an aluminium alloy framework underneath.

3. It uses parts from Japan and "Asia".

4. It does meet all legal requirements to carry the stamp of "Made in Germany".

Leica Presentation in Japan

Edited by sdai
typo ... LOL

This sort of co-operation is great, we end up with a better product positives all round, that is a darn good sensor ........... ah living closer to Asia I'm sticking to "Made in Gerpan"

2. It does have an aluminium alloy framework underneath.

I'm happy to hear this. :) I was surprised at how cheap my Olympus EP-1 felt when I first took it out of the box. Later I found out that it was all looks, just a thin sheet of metal wrapped over a plastic body. It wasn't too bad but it was surprising. :(

This could be this sensor?, its the only recent one I can see that is 12Mpixel, CMOS and APC-C size

Sony Global - Press Release - Sony Commercializes APS-C size CMOS Image Sensor with Industry-leading 12.47 Effecti

Here is the PDF data sheet

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news/vol50/pdf/imx021.pdf

Edited by meatboy

Aspect ratio is right, but what about size?

X1 brochure says 12.9 MP, 12.2 effective.

IMX021 press release says 13.05 MP, 12.47 effective.

Good research, but of course, X1 may use a chip not yet on the market.

OT but of interest as I mentioned elsewhere:

Another question toward determining camera maker is: What Japanese manufacturer's compacts still require that a JPG be written as well when RAW is selected?

Zeiss completely German. It was founded in 1846 and since 1891 is 100% owned by the "Carl Zeiss Foundation', a charitable foundation which promotes natural sciences. It is not the only large German company owned by a chariatable foundation. Bosch for example is also owned by a charitable foundation (about 90%, rest Bosch family), Thyssen-Krupp's largest shareholder is also such a foundation. Not sure about Zeiss, but in the case of Bosch the owner gave away the majority of the company. The difference with large anglo-saxon foundations is that the foundations are tied to the company, they are not just investors. The companies then operator completely normally, they make profits and they pay dividends to the foundations. But their shares are not traded.

Guest wls.shanghai
It would be an interesting development, as Sony is the parent company of Zeiss, Leica's rival. Otoh the Digilux2 used a Sony sensor, albeit obtained through the Panasonic connection.

....Sony is the parent of Zeiss :eek:

utterly impossible !!!

Another question toward determining camera maker is: What Japanese manufacturer's compacts still require that a JPG be written as well when RAW is selected?

Well.. Ricoh do this on their compacts, something to do with using the jpg for LCD preview. You can't turn the jpg off at all on the GRD range or the GX100/200. Ricoh and Leica are unlikely partners though!!? :rolleyes:

Thanks, Tim!

I can see Leica partnering with Ricoh before I can see them partnering with Nikon.

(No one said Leica is partnering with Nikon, but apparently at the Asian intro of the X1, Leica said Nikon will soon have a camera with the same sensor Leica: Nikon to announce APS-C-sized sensor compact? - Digital Cameras - Crave - CNET Asia, as mentioned in the forum at http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-x1-forum/97768-where-x1-made-4.html#post1039377.)

To me, Ricoh is an off-brand; but with smaller distribution, they might be a good Leica partner. Less chance of a dealer holding up the two cameras side-by-side and telling the customer they're the same.

Looks as if the market is moving toward better IQ at least!

(No one said Leica is partnering with Nikon, but apparently at the Asian intro of the X1, Leica said Nikon will soon have a camera with the same sensor

I wouldn't discount a Nikon partnership. Nikon has historically been more open to partnerships than the other major players as e.g., with Fuji. It would be a very cold day in hell before you saw a Nikon camera with the Leica badged lens on the front as has been the case with the Panasonic partnership though.

Sandy

Hopefully the lens is manufactured in Solms - I don't want sample variation and don't want a plastic barrel, either. If this is the case, Leica could increase efficiency in Solms instead of giving away important know-how and it would also add significant economic value (the lens-elements alone would cost much more than the sensor).

No one said Leica is partnering with Nikon, but apparently at the Asian intro of the X1, Leica said Nikon will soon have a camera with the same sensor

Nikon has been using Sony sensors in their DSLRs for many years, so what would be so unusual if they should also use this one? When two camera vendors buy from the same source (Sony), that surely doesn’t mean they have been entering a partnership. Now of course Sony shouldn’t really tell one customer about another customer’s business, but this sensor may really be quite ordinary so admitting that Nikon has been ordering as well may be on a par with admitting that your neighbor is buying bread, too.

Nikon has been using Sony sensors in their DSLRs for many years, so what would be so unusual if they should also use this one? When two camera vendors buy from the same source (Sony), that surely doesn’t mean they have been entering a partnership. Now of course Sony shouldn’t really tell one customer about another customer’s business, but this sensor may really be quite ordinary so admitting that Nikon has been ordering as well may be on a par with admitting that your neighbor is buying bread, too.

Yes, agreed. However, one would hope that sensor in the X1 is the Nikon version - e.g., the Nikon FF sensor on the D3x substantially outperforms its Sony parent, supposedly due to more advanced dyes in the Bayer array, among other Nikon specific enhancements. But that would only be the case if Leica has a deal with Nikon rather than Sony.

Sandy

The sensor is only part of the argument. The electronic wizardry that interprets the sensor signals is the other major factor. Whilst Nikon use the same Sony sensor as Sony with their excellent a900 24.8 Mpx full frame, Nikon chose to interpret it to allow high ISO performance.

Sony have either by agreement with Nikon or otherwise decided to pursue a different lower ISO interpretation which produces a very natural colour performance. Pro's using both systems report that the Nikon images are neutral and require more PP versus the A900 images that often need very little or even no PP. As an A900 user myself I can confirm the latter. Pro's needing high ISO will go for the Nikon.

Ergonomically the A900 wins hands down..... but then I would say that wouldn't I.:D

Leica's circuitry will also interpret the 12 Mpx sensor to suit Leica's own very high standards IMHO. The rest is up to the photographer, as always!