M9 versus M8.1 tests

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi gentlemen,

Here some more photos with the same lens Summicron 28mm on the M9 and M8 i took this afternoon.

Please enjoy and thanks for your remarks.

First with M9

and for the yellow flowers....

a little more yellow colour on M9 as i said above !

100% crop of the flower in the middle

M8 Cron 28mm f:8 160 iso (same conditions for all these tests)

the 100% crop of M9 seems bigger compared with crop of M8

are you agreed with me ? probably difference between number of pixels?

What is the purpose of this thread? I'm lost!

Purpose of this thread?

Keep M8 and\or buy M9

or sell M8 and buy M9

Lotw, if the 21mm FoV is critical to me - which it is - I'm comparing the two options available to me for digital M photography. Frankly, unless someone can show a large difference between the M8 and the M9 at the pixel level (and maybe someone can, so there is a fair reason to do tests like that, too) - I simply - don't - care about small differences.

Personally, I haven't been unhappy with the quality of the C/V 15mm - but the f/4.5 aperture has been a drawback in my picture-taking.

Oh, it is for your individual specific situation then. I hope ypu don't suggest that an M8 is far worse in portraying traffic lights than an M9 then.

Quite right - those weird traffic light effects are probably just as likely with the M9, and are mostly a RAW developing + sharpening artifact in an area of primary color.

BTW I haven't noticed you on the Forum for some reason, and like the shots you've posted with your c/v 15mm and M8 (and others) in some of the other threads. If only the c/v had f/2.8 (sigh!)

I am surprised by comparing these two pictures when I did the test M9

You see the difference?

What photo do you think is better? taken at the same time !

the first one or the second one ?

You can

OK are you ready? N'ayez crainte ça ne fait pas mal.

First of all, your pics are too small. It is very difficult to compare tiny pics like that.

The forum rules allow for a maximum image size of 960 x 640 pixels with a file size not exceeding 240 Kb. Yours are much smaller than that. I would try to post bigger ones if i were you. Or you could perhaps post a small pic here and a link to a larger one to do justice to your great lenses.

Also your flowers look too soft. Did you shoot jpegs? Or if you shot raws, what converter did you use? My feeling is you can do much better than that.

FWIW comme disent les britons.

Edited by lct
OK are you ready? N'ayez crainte ça ne fait pas mal.

First of all, your pics are too small. It is very difficult to compare tiny pics like that.

The forum rules allow for a maximum image size of 960 x 640 pixels with a file size not exceeding 240 Kb. Yours are much smaller than that. I would try to post bigger ones if i were you. Or you could perhaps post a small pic here and a link to a larger one to do justice to your great lenses.

Also your flowers look too soft. Did you shoot jpegs? Or if you shot raws, what converter did you use? My feeling is you can do much better than that.

FWIW comme disent les britons.

Ict, thanks for your honesty

For photos taken with the M9 and M8, as i said above, it's : DNG-RAW-TIFF and posted in PNG (but no JPEG i don't like it) It's also compressed, but TIFF and PNG are better

For the size of the photos, i usually post photos average (700x. ..) because when i post too great you are not happy

(see the thread)

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/98606-m9-versus-m8-picture-quality-2.html

So what picture do you like looking good?

I am surprised by comparing these two pictures when I did the test M9

You see the difference?

What photo do you think is better? taken at the same time !

the first one or the second one ?

second (on iMac)

Edited by Lotw