maniok farmers

vla

Sorry to hear about that! You did very well I think considering the circumstances!

That second shot is just wonderful. Could stand well just on its own The beautiful girl seeming to pose for you fixing her hair, the squatting boy skinning the (?)potatoes, the two younger children oblivious to the fact that they are naked and the one girl just staring you down. And finally the mother or grandmother with the boy in her arms with that hardened look of....

Thanks for sharing!

Amado

good evening everybody,

thank you very much for your feedback, this is very encouraging!

here is the story behind these pictures - a cousin of my wife marinete works in rural development programs in the brazilian state of pará. we visited her in one of the communities she works with - a place called nova esperança do piriá.

we were told that until the early 1990ies this region was mostly covered with rainforest. then settlers and timber companies moved in and piriá rapidly became one of the centers of illegal timber extraction. last year, finally, ibama, the federal environmental protection agency sent military police and timber business came to a hold. good for the environment, but an economic disaster for the local population, whose livelihood is highly dependent on timber.

this particular family lives at the fringes of an indigenous reserve, which is one of the few patches of rainforest left in the region. they are illegal settlers and know that ibama might come in any day and throw them out of the reserve. we got there in a rented pick-up and people immediately thought we were from ibama or some other state agency preparing their sacking. the fact that i was taking pictures obviously did not help. we tried to explain to them that we were only visitors and did not want to harm them, but they did not believe us. they did not want any help from us (instead of offering money i asked whether they needed something from the next village) and did not really want to talk. this is was certainly the most depressing moment of our trip across pará.

enclosed two more shots from the same encounter plus two more i took during the trip to piriá.

markus

Excellent series!

A friend did his field work for his dissertation (years ago) among the Peruvian manioc farmers (lived there for 2 years). He had a totally positive experience and produced very robust work studying a tribe who were farming manioc for generations. I am sorry to hear that the scene is different for these farmers.

Ece