Stolen M6, Summilux & Elmarit in London

tanvach

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone

This is my first thread in the forum, but unfortunately it might be my last!

Last Saturday was the Thames festival in London, and I took out my M6 to photograph the event. In the evening, my camera bag with all my Leica equipments was stolen near Earls Court station. In it contained a M6 TTL and two lenses.

Fortunately, we have a good CCTV footage of the thief showing his face clearly. I have reported the theft to the police who said there is a chance of catching him from the footage. But I'm afraid that when they do it would be too late.

Can anyone suggest what else I can do in the mean time? I have heard that it is possible to report the serial number to Leica where they kept a database of stolen equipments, but I haven't had much luck looking for this online.

The serial numbers are:

Leica M6 TTL 2756569

50 Summilux 3783157

24 Elmarit ASPH 3964779

Please, please be careful with your bags. It only took me half a minute from it, with table full of people I know.

Terrible news - have you looked at your home insurance policy, some may cover equipment "all risks" away from the home. I think David's advice to inform the popular dealers is worthwhile, I suppose it is also worth watching the auction site.

I would keep / find any proof of purchase you have for the equipment, I would imagine the chances of it turning up eventually are better than with other equipment and even if purchased "legitimately", you would still have a rightful and legal claim to the equipment.

Best of luck and a useful reminder to us all.

Daniel

Edited by danmitch
clarification

Thanks for your condolences, it's really a shame since I'm beginning to love that camera.

Charlie, I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what their response is. Repairs are unlikely in the sort term, but I did hear a couple of good story with this approach, so my fingers are crossed.

Thanks for the home insurance suggestion, I'll have a look in to that too.

Ebay is now booked marked for Leica sales, does anyone know any other auction sites for Leica equipments I should be looking out for?

And best of luck everyone, enjoy your Leicas!

Thanks for your condolences, it's really a shame since I'm beginning to love that camera.

Charlie, I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what their response is. Repairs are unlikely in the sort term, but I did hear a couple of good story with this approach, so my fingers are crossed.

Thanks for the home insurance suggestion, I'll have a look in to that too.

Ebay is now booked marked for Leica sales, does anyone know any other auction sites for Leica equipments I should be looking out for?

And best of luck everyone, enjoy your Leicas!

Hi,

Very sorry to hear about that.

I've seen the odd Leica (and at least one dodgy deal on an MP) on Craigslist. You could also check Gumtree.

Best of luck.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I replied to this earlier but my post didn't save.

Agree with the advice above, e mail or call Leica UK and Germany, and as many obvious dealers as you can (certainly all of the Leica dealers in the UK, get the details from the Leica website).

Unfortunately I've heard of several people who have lost bags in the bars near the main stations in London, Liverpool St is particularly bad, and yes, they all thought they were keeping their stuff safe at the time.

The thief will want to move the gear on pretty quickly so you might be lucky if you act fast.