Do you change your way of metering the exposure with the M9?

Fotomiguel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's been said that the M9 has one stop more of dynamic range in high lights. With the m8 some of us underexpose a bit when we want to keep most of the details of the high lights using low iso. May be there is no more need to do this with the M9? The M9 brochure could be a example.

It's been said that the M9 has one stop more of dynamic range in high lights. With the m8 some of us underexpose a bit when we want to keep most of the details of the high lights using low iso. May be there is no more need to do this with the M9? The M9 brochure could be a example.

I'm personally not entirely convinced by the claim of greater dynamic range - what I did find when I doing a quick side-by-side comparison was that the M9 meters much more conservatively than the M8: the M9 images were considerably darker when the meter appeared to show correct exposure on each camera. This in itself helps to retain highlight detail, and may explain why the camera appears at first sight to have wider range.

The more spot-like metering pattern of the M9 will be very helpful in balancing the highlight exposure.

Hmmm - I'm not sure that's correct Jaap. My impression was that the grey blades in the M9 were intended to make the M9 metering less of a spot than on the M8. I'm no technical expert on these matters, but when I was metering an indoor portrait against a bright backlight, I had great difficulty with the M9 vs the M8. This would be something the M9 owner would get used to, of course.

I'm finding that the new stripe pattern on the shutter combined with what seem to be new algorithms is producing more reliable centre weighted metering. I feel less of a need to hunt for highlights to meter from and am getting consistently better exposures in a range of day light conditions. No chance yet to use the camera in theatre / performance settings...

Hmmm - I'm not sure that's correct Jaap. My impression was that the grey blades in the M9 were intended to make the M9 metering less of a spot than on the M8. I'm no technical expert on these matters, but when I was metering an indoor portrait against a bright backlight, I had great difficulty with the M9 vs the M8. This would be something the M9 owner would get used to, of course.

No, they are intended to make it more of a round spot. Neither camera uses the full width of the bright blades, so the M8 has a kind of horizontal ellipse, and the M9 more of an M6 like round metering field.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No, they are intended to make it more of a round spot. Neither camera uses the full width of the bright blades, so the M8 has a kind of horizontal ellipse, and the M9 more of an M6 like round metering field.

I stand corrected. My own impression was that the M9's meter was broader and higher than the M8 (I wasn't talking in terms of the shape of the metering area, rather how it was spread), because of the blade pattern and the problem I had with backlight. Naturally it wouldn't in any way be a problem once the user is accustomed to the camera.

On the other hand, there's no doubt in my mind at all that the metering is more conservative, and thereby (at least partly) the detail in highlights.

I noticed that the metering seemed more centred when I played with the camera last week. Just one shot I took with subject centred and background dark and it seemed to me the meter dealt with it better than my M8 would have. It was hardly a scientific test, but seems to confirm that the metering shape has changed.

the M9 meters much more conservatively than the M8: the M9 images were considerably darker when the meter appeared to show correct exposure on each camera.

snap

i also find that the M9 images are consdierably darker when the meter shows the SAME exposure in each camera

strange but true

my findings entirely

if yuo have a high contrast frame, e.g. backlit or just a corner of bright sky or window in the frame, then that appears to blow the metering out and make the picture too dark.

I'm also finding that I'm getting more balanced exposures with the M9 than I was with the M8.

In "normal" lighting conditions my standard setting on the M8 was ISO160 or ISO320 & EV set to -1/3. I found this combo.gave me the most balanced exposures. I'm still experimenting a great deal with the M9, however I'm finding that under the same "normal" lighting conditions, it's not necessary to adjust the EV to -1/3 as was the case with the M8.