Liberty Belle (B-17)

RPS

Guy, Jockele, Paul - thank you for taking the time to view my image and provide comment.

flatfour -- most of these vintage planes are lovingly cared for by groups of individuals who seem totally committed to keeping the aircraft flying forever. These fine folks volunteer untold hours restoring the airframe to flying condition and keeping it maintained. Using original design drawings and specifications, they often manufacture their own spare parts when such parts are no longer available. As long as these dedicated individuals continue to lavish such love and attention on these historical craft, there's really no reason they can't go on flying for a very long time.

RobertZ - thank you for taking the time to view and provide a comment. I'm appreciative.

An immensely difficult shot to do well ....

Robert - yes, well ... I went to the airport that day, excited to see a flying B-17 and thinking "how hard can it be to shoot a lumbering old giant like that?" ... I learned quickly that it is very hard and I truly wasted a lot of film ... this shot was, by far, the best of the bunch. Thanks for the remarks and the compliment.

• 1 year later...

The Liberty Belle, shown above, reportedly was destroyed by fire earlier today, shortly after making an emergency landing in a corn field near Aurora, IL

RIP, Liberty Belle.

for a glorious plane

yours may be one of the last photographs taken of her flying & a worthy photograph it is

here is one I took of this plane on her visit to Houston some years ago

[ATTACH]262580[/ATTACH]

she had a fire onboard while on tour & was ruined in a crash near Chicago today

no one was seriously injured

I have some others of this warbird in my classic airplane gallery here aircraft Photo Gallery by Artichoke Vinagrette at pbase.com along with much larger versions & shooting information

• Like 1

Well ... to be clear, this is just the resurrection of my September 2009 thread from when Liberty Belle visited Atlanta. I just wanted to note the passing of this grand lady.

The Liberty Belle, shown above, reportedly was destroyed by fire earlier today, shortly after making an emergency landing in a corn field near Aurora, IL

RIP, Liberty Belle.

a great loss of historical value. At least from the reports I have heard, no one was seriously injured or killed.

Paul

Well ... to be clear, this is just the resurrection of my September 2009 thread from when Liberty Belle visited Atlanta. I just wanted to note the passing of this grand lady.

I had just learned of the sorry end of this fine lady & had been thinking about starting a commemorative thread when I saw yours

my own encounter with the Liberty Belle was memorable ...I shall always remember the sound of her mighty engines firing up, what a treat!

sorry to have been mistaken here & to have jumped on your thread

The Chicago Tribune published an interesting sequence of images showing the death throes of the Liberty Belle earlier this week - click this link: "Liberty Belle" B-17 makes fiery emergency landing in cornfield - chicagotribune.com

If you're an aficionado of vintage aircraft, this series of photos may be painful to view.