Image Playback and review speed at 100%

andrewrossphotographs

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi!

Does anyone have any idea of how the image playback and review speed at 100% has improved since the initial firmware?

As mentioned on David's blog:

David Farkas: "Leica is able to eek out a small performance gain. My camera had the latest (at the time) firmware version 0.912, in other words, a pre-release version. Stefan assured us that optimizations were still being done to improve image playback and review speed at 100% view." September 10, 2009.

Thank you!

Hi!

Does anyone have any idea of how the image playback and review speed at 100% has improved since the initial firmware?

As mentioned on David's blog:

David Farkas: "Leica is able to eek out a small performance gain. My camera had the latest (at the time) firmware version 0.912, in other words, a pre-release version. Stefan assured us that optimizations were still being done to improve image playback and review speed at 100% view." September 10, 2009.

Thank you!

I had the opportunity to test an M9 with both firmware versions (the M9 came to the Leica presentation with version 0.912 and we then updated it to the newest version).

I did not detect any difference in review speed at 100%. It took very long for the image to un-pixelate when zooming (much slower than M8), regardless of firmware. I was using a Sandisk Extreme III 2 GB card.

Would be interested if others have tested similarly.

Thanks for the info, do you think the slow review time is due to the fact the M9 is reading the actual file data and not the thumbnail it creates?

I would have thought the M9 has enough processing power pushing around 18mp so a few tweaks needed are in the firmware and file creation.

Thanks for the info, do you think the slow review time is due to the fact the M9 is reading the actual file data and not the thumbnail it creates?

I would have thought the M9 has enough processing power pushing around 18mp so a few tweaks needed are in the firmware and file creation.

I think the M8 also reads the DNG for preview after a short time. When you first initiate the play back a second or 2 later the image jumps and becomes more clear. That is the camera first displaying the JPG preview then reading the full DNG file and displaying that.

Pushing 18MB from memory to card isn't the same as reading the card, or what is left in memory, and pusing that to the LCD screen.

There has been some speculation that the M9 has all new electronics in it. I'm not to sure that is true. We know there is a new sensor and sensor control board (mounted on the back of the sensor). We know there is more base and buffer memory because you can shoot about the same number of images as the M8 before the buffer gets full. We know there is a new DSP chip, Leica has said this. But we don't know, and Leica has not said, if the core electronics have changed at all ( I suspect they haven't. At least not to any great extent).

The M9 still locks up when trying to enter Sensor cleaning mode. Just like every M8 every made.