M8 and M9 LCD screen covers

hoppyman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have read a number of comments from some posters (scattered across several threads) that they are disappointed that the sapphire glass cover is not included with the M9. I had my M8 upgraded recently and did not take the sapphire glass option due to cost. I have always had a glass protector screen fitted and have had no problems. I use a half case anyway and the screen has extra protection when not up to my eye.

Can anyone comment with authority whether the M9 LCD cover is the same material as the one on the original M8?

Is the material similar or the same as that used by most (all?) dSLR's?

I have read a number of comments from some posters (scattered across several threads) that they are disappointed that the sapphire glass cover is not included with the M9. I had my M8 upgraded recently and did not take the sapphire glass option due to cost. I have always had a glass protector screen fitted and have had no problems. I use a half case anyway and the screen has extra protection when not up to my eye.

Can anyone comment with authority whether the M9 LCD cover is the same material as the one on the original M8?

Is the material similar or the same as that used by most (all?) dSLR's?

One nugget that is very little known and I learn in case of a scientific instrument is that sapphire is extremely brittle. A knock by a hard object and it can shatter to tiny bits, this is true with both mineral and syntactic sapphire which M8's is. To chose which option, I guess you have think which one is more likely scratching it or hitting it against something like a door knob??

One nugget that is very little known and I learn in case of a scientific instrument is that sapphire is extremely brittle. A knock by a hard object and it can shatter to tiny bits, this is true with both mineral and syntactic sapphire which M8's is. To chose which option, I guess you have think which one is more likely scratching it or hitting it against something like a door knob??

In theory you may be correct - But since the introduction of the sapphire screen cover on the M8.2 & 8M.u there has been NO forum reports of screens shattering into tiny bits...

I'm interested in the size. Is the size of the M9 screen exactly the same as the M8/8.2? In other words, in anticipation of an M9, would it be safe to order M8 screen protectors?

I've had the Zaggs and have had mixed results putting them on, but on those devices to which the zagg has been applied successfully, it's a great product. I don't know about these GGS ones.

Edited by etherfarm

Funny that you say that, because the durability of sapphire glass protectors is often shown by using a key, hitting the glass at any angle you want, without scratches. I witnessed that two times on a Porsche branded mobile phone that features "sapphire glass".

Now I would think that the smaller the impact zone, the more force is applied and the more should the theory of the door knob hold up?

I wouldn't test it on my M8u tho (although I tried to scratch it).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm interested in the size. Is the size of the M9 screen exactly the same as the M8/8.2? In other words, in anticipation of an M9, would it be safe to order M8 screen protectors? (...)

Yes, I ordered GGS and it fits pefectly.

Best regards,

Michael

I appreciate that Leica tried to keep the cost under control with the M9, but I was hoping for a sapphire screen.

I've kept adhesive screen protectors on my M8 cameras since the beginning, mostly to keep them in good shape for resale, though also because scratched screens are very distracting to me.

The stock M8 screen seems very soft. When I first tried a loaner M8 for a few days I promptly scratched the screen during a routine assignment.

I gave my spare M8 protectors away a few weeks ago on the assumption that the M9 would have sapphire - damn!

BTW I have had sapphire glass covers on various watches for years. I have given them some pretty hefty knocks over the years, especially SCUBA diving and never damaged one yet.

Wilson

• 1 month later...
Great thanks guys, I might try out the ACMAXX polycarbonate then. Do you know by any chance the answers to my other two questions?

A strong suction cup and a hair dryer will loosen it and allow you to remove it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's orderable as a spare part which comes with an adhesive border, ask your dealer if he can order it as a spare part first. I'd be certain Leica can replace it for you but you would have to pay for shipping the camera and for their labour as well as the spare part.