M8 vs X1

JackTheRipper

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When is your birthday? The X1 isn't out until December some time.

The X1 will be less expensive as you will need a lens or two for the M8. Who knows about image quality yet, need to see some tests and comparisons first but if you can afford the extra for an M8 and lens then that is going to be the better long term purchase as it will be more versatile.

my mom will pay half for my birthday, so I can finally get a nice camera...

should I get the M8 or the X1? I want something really nice... I do a lot of traveling...

which would have better image quality?

thanks!

Jack

If your heart is set on a Leica and if you're into photography for the long run and you think it will be a serious hobby over the years, the M8 will probably offer more options for your growth and development as a photographer. Nobody has enough info yet to say how good the image quality of the X1 is but its image quality will likely be on the level of an entry level DSLR but not likely to be in the same ball park as the M8. But to get the most out of an M8 you'll need either a good printer or access to one or at least a good quality printing service. Normal drugstore quality will not make the most of your M8 shots (or likely the X1 shots either).

With one lens (the x1 only has 1 lens so like for like) the M8 will be more than 2x heavier but by DSLR camera standards, not heavy at all. Find something that weights about 250grams and something else that weights about 700 grams and carry each around for the day. You likely won't want to carry an M8 everywhere you go and all the time (I do but not everyone is obsessive) though on your travels you might.

OTOH if you just want a nice camera with you when you travel and to keep in your rucksack so you can take snaps of your friends and places you go, the X1 should be very nice. It will likely let you use manual settings but they won't be as easy or quick as on an M8.

You can find used M8s. Voigtlander make very good M mount lenses which are far less expensive than Leica lenses.

If you spend serious money on a camera and you're going travelling with it, think seriously about camera insurance or see if the camera will be covered by your house insurance.

my mom will pay half for my birthday, so I can finally get a nice camera...

should I get the M8 or the X1? I want something really nice... I do a lot of traveling...

which would have better image quality?

thanks!

Jack

Your main question should probably be which camera suits your shooting style.

In terms of handling, operation and shooting approach they are two very different.

The X1 is a high-end point and shoot with a very big sensor and the M8 is a full blooded rangefinder with a combined viewfinder / rangefinder.

I would not be surprised if the X1 has better high iso performance. Apparently it uses a Sony CMOS sensor similar to what Nikon has in some of their cameras (think D90). Obviously the M8 is capable of very high quality images, but they need more careful exposure and processing.

PS: If you go for the M8, make sure it has the upgraded framelines (the 2 meter version) or get an M8.2. Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy with the very poor framing accuracy of the original M8 framelines.

Edited by thrid

You might get less ISO noise but it will not beat the image quality of the M8 overall especially in B&W conversions. With the X1 you will also be limited to one lens, no room to expand.

Thrid wrote: "Obviously the M8 is capable of very high quality images, but they need more careful exposure and processing." This has not been my experience. The M8 is designed for outstanding image quality.

Edited by wilfredo

Thrid wrote: "Obviously the M8 is capable of very high quality images, but they need more careful exposure and processing." This has not been my experience. The M8 is designed for outstanding image quality.

I didn't say that the M8 wasn't capable of 'outstanding' image quality.

I said that to achieve that outstanding image quality you need to watch your exposure, as you need to with any digital camera. The choice of a CCD, lack of any serious onboard NR or sophisticated metering system means you need to know what you are doing. None of that means that the camera is not capable of producing excellent results. You just need to pay more attention than with your average full auto plastic wunder-camera.

• 4 weeks later...

Depending on your skill level is key. If you’re the type that wants to just cut to the chase and keep moving, I would opt for the X1. My introduction to the M-series was a lot of fun! It didn’t take me long to adapt to the rangefinder as I’m a former tanker from the Army. Still, on the fly in vacation settings I was rushed and I never ended up with many keepers’ from my M8 as most of them were out of focus. Also, the M-series is not a camera you can casually give to a friend or stranger and have them take a quick photo of you and friends while you’re out and about.

Regards,

Edited by Daniel Ortego

This might seem silly but in my opinion, if doing a lot of travelling, you cannot beat a cheap p&s like a canon g9 or similar AND get an M8 for photoshoots....X1 looks great and when released will probably be not that less expensive than an M8 used........Thats the route I took...M8 used for my photoshoots and a cheap p&s for 'snaps' or 'dodgy' situations (went for a lumix FT1 as waterproof and shockproof and hd video!)

........every shot is important, just as every patient is important, thus the best possible sensor in a p&s is important.

You know what, I agree with this... I'm no longer going to use an inferior camera just because it is small. I'm either going to make photographs, so I bring the best tool with me, or I'm simply going to not photograph. When I was younger, I brought my camera everywhere with me. Now, I like to enjoy myself without the camera sometimes... just enjoy the moment with whomever I'm with. If I don't get the image, oh well.

dang, seems like I was leaning towards the X1 so much, but the more I look at it, it just looks sorta cheap, whereas the M8 just looks so nice...

has anyone formulated a stronger opinion since I made the original question?

M8 or X1?

thanks !

ps, but the people who have seen the X1, like Cherub, you all say it's well built right?

thanks again

Edited by JackTheRipper

They are really so different. It was not even a choice for me m8. I believe in the M system. It has stood the test of time and gives a defined upgrade path. The M glass is not going anywhere. However, if you are not comfortable autofocusing and choosing your own aperture, get the X1. It is going to be a great camera, however, it will not have the flexibility of an M8.

They are really so different. It was not even a choice for me m8. I believe in the M system. It has stood the test of time and gives a defined upgrade path. The M glass is not going anywhere. However, if you are not comfortable autofocusing and choosing your own aperture, get the X1. It is going to be a great camera, however, it will not have the flexibility of an M8.

Well, I'm a M user already... I love the 35mm lens length. I don't like the crop factor of the M8...but can't imagine I'd like the LCD or viewfinder of the X1. I'm starting to think I have to go M8 and a Voigtlander 25/28mm lens to be happy.