X1 with a Zoom leica lens

Vip

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to see an X1 with a zoom lens. Not an extreme zoom I am thinking to an 28 mm to 90 mm equivalent. The camera looks so nice and small that can be something that you wish to take always with you. Extremely adaptable to all situation. The price can be not an issue.

There a space for it : see how many Canon G10 has been sold to phtographers. In addition potential user of a such camera are not necessary the same of an M9. The first can aim to a fully autofocus and automatic camera and can feel M9 too difficult.

• Like 1

I would like to see an X1 with a zoom lens. Not an extreme zoom I am thinking to an 28 mm to 90 mm equivalent. The camera looks so nice and small that can be something that you wish to take always with you.

Me too!

It does make the difference between an absolutely marvelous camera or a camera for which I have unfortunately no use.

Only this has been told so much already in comments on the X1, that I think by now Leica is very well aware of it. Now I just wait and see if they listen.

I would like to see an X1 with a zoom lens. Not an extreme zoom I am thinking to an 28 mm to 90 mm equivalent. The camera looks so nice and small that can be something that you wish to take always with you. Extremely adaptable to all situation. The price can be not an issue.

There a space for it : see how many Canon G10 has been sold to phtographers. In addition potential user of a such camera are not necessary the same of an M9. The first can aim to a fully autofocus and automatic camera and can feel M9 too difficult.

Sigh...

This isn't a G10. The X1 sensor is 23.6mm x 15.8mm (3.72 sq cm), while the G10's is 7.6mm x 5.7mm (0.43 sq cm) -- less than 1/4 the area of my thumbnail.

If you take the example of the Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 you'll get FOV equivalent coverage of 25.5mm to 82.5mm. That lens was designed for exactly the same size sensor as the X1 and weighs over 750 grams. Let Leica do a little magic because we don't need to have the lens as far from the sensor as for a DSLR and I bet they could shave 200 or 250 grams off the weight.

You can buy the Nikkor lens for a street price of a little less than $1,400 US. If Leica made something like that could you imagine it's value, mounted on the camera, of any less than $3,000?

So your X1 with zoom will sell in the $4,000 to $4,500 range (at least), weigh in at 700 to 800 grams, and probably be around 5 to 6 inches deep (extended).

Do you plan on taking that camera with you everywhere? You'll need pretty big pockets. ;)

so true .... no one will EVER make a physically small, and economical, 28-90 / f2.8 zoom lens for an X1 size sensor.

the closest anyone will ever come has already been done .... the leica D2 and that sensor is *microscopic* compared to the X1 sensor...... look at the size of the D2 lens !!! .... multiply that by 4 (price and size).

I see your point.You are probably right . But leica lens are frequently able to reach outstanding result in a small size in comparison to competitors. I understand that is not that easy. But few days ago on a web site someone before of 9/9/2009 show on a M8 chassis that was impossible to built a full format sensor without increasing the size of the camera. 3 days after M9 shows that the impossible become possible!

An outstanding camera can have a high price.

I see your point.You are probably right . But Leica lens are frequently able to reach outstanding result in a small size in comparison to competitors.

Small size compared to what? If you are comparing AF DLSR/SLR lenses to M-mount MF lenses, you're missing several points. Even then, my Leica 50mm f/1.4 lens is heavier and longer than my Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4. The Nikkor is larger in diameter, but it has to deal with the AF mechanism. In any lens on the X1, space will also be needed to get aperture and focus mechanical actuations up to the lens.

I understand that is not that easy. But few days ago on a web site someone before of 9/9/2009 show on a M8 chassis that was impossible to built a full format sensor without increasing the size of the camera. 3 days after M9 shows that the impossible become possible!

You are incorrect. The thought put forward was that the arrangement of internal components precluded just sticking a larger sensor into an M8. I don't recall anyone (at least anyone with knowledge of M8s) stating that the "size of the camera" would have to be increased to fit a full format sensor.

There is no magic bullet. A zoom lens that will produce a high quality image on an APS-C sensor is going to have some size requirements. You can cross check that by looking at all the crappy kit lenses that are sold for APS-C DSLRs.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is exactly why I will hang on to my D2 for quite a while longer now, and not bother with the X2. Yes the large sensor would be lovely. And yes, I'm sure the lens is great.

But the D2 is a beautifully balanced system, a fast lens (faster than the x2's) with a sensor capable of producing gorgeous images. It's fairly bulky, but light, and a joy to use ergonomically.

The x2 is no doubt "better" than my beloved D2; but for my needs (and those only) the D2 covers more ground more effectively than this spec.

• Like 2

I would like to see an X1 with a zoom lens. Not an extreme zoom I am thinking to an 28 mm to 90 mm equivalent....

Would be too big for an APS or too slow for my needs i'm afraid. As an Epson user, my favorite lenses are 28 (equiv 42) and 50 (equiv 75) so a 28-50/2.8 could interest me if it is not too big for the camera.

This is exactly why I will hang on to my D2 for quite a while longer now, and not bother with the X2. Yes the large sensor would be lovely. And yes, I'm sure the lens is great.

But the D2 is a beautifully balanced system, a fast lens (faster than the x2's) with a sensor capable of producing gorgeous images. It's fairly bulky, but light, and a joy to use ergonomically.

The x2 is no doubt "better" than my beloved D2; but for my needs (and those only) the D2 covers more ground more effectively than this spec.

Completely agree.

Please ljclark take a look to this past analysis and give me your opinion on where was the missjudgement http://leicarumors.com/2009/08/22/will-a-full-frame-sensor-fit-in-a-m8-body.aspxhttp://

“doesn’t appear possible to fit an FF sensor in the current body with the current battery” (Was something said about a bigger body?) :confused:

Dunno. Doesn't matter. I couldn't tell you without one each disassembled M8 & M9 in front of me.

Why don't you address your question directly to Mark Norton? :)

BTW -- Your link didn't work. :eek:

Please explain ( i am new about it) what does mean my link does not work.

Who is Mark Norton?

Clicking on the link in your posting got me to an error page. I had to search through the Leica Rumors site to find the dated posting in August you were mentioning. :(

If you jump to the actual posting that Leica Rumors links to, you'll end up back in the L-Camera Forum (Surprise!!!) and you can see the actual original posting and the responses that followed. Mark Norton is famous for having taken an M8 completely apart -- documenting the process in photos. Now and again, when questions come up, he shares photos of his "camopsy" to illustrate a point.

The X1 concept fills a niche. In this niche it is perfect.

Adding zoom capabilities would change the dimensions of the camera, its price, etc. You will have to get a Canon if you want a zoom.

OK, how about an X2 with 28-90 lens at f4 constant? My Oly Pen-F came with a 28-84 zoom as standard and it's ingeniously compact -- more so than the Panasonic G1's kit lens. Its maximum aperture is f3.5, but hey, there *was* a market for f4 Leica-R zooms before, right?

OK, how about an X2 with 28-90 lens at f4 constant? My Oly Pen-F came with a 28-84 zoom as standard and it's ingeniously compact -- more so than the Panasonic G1's kit lens. Its maximum aperture is f3.5, but hey, there *was* a market for f4 Leica-R zooms before, right?

Good grief! This would be a Leica lens. So you think that a $3,000 to $4,000 X1 with a zoom is going to sell more units than an X1 with the fixed focal length 28mm? All you're doing is highlighting the competition situation, not establishing a reasonable niche market.

After watching the Stephan Daniel video, how does that fit in with the Leica vision? And if you haven't watched the video -- I suggest you do. Start to finish. :confused:

• 2 years later...

The amusing point of many Leica fans that when something new is proposed is totaly refused.

Look back this tread now that X1 is discontinued and rumors are growing concerning a future X2 zoom.

What I had asked for as a proposal was classified as non sense or completely impossible.

In few weeks probably the same will cheer and applaude to this "new Leica idea" previously refused.

I have seen the same when R3 was presented: automatic? I will never use a automatic Leica then with R4 ( program? what the hell!)...M8 a Digital I do not need a compact digital camera..

That is the strange Leica fan mood

You make a very good point. For most non-commercial applications, the D2 continues to see daily use and produces results better than when it was new. Yes! Why?

Well Lightroom has got so much better at processing Raw files that my results exceed the quality of those taken when the camera was new. It may be marginal, but it has given the camera a new lease of life.:)