DMR dial fell off - can one fit it at home?

Overgaard

I don't think it's self-serviceable. If yours was one of the early machines, it is a known problem and they have a replacement wheel that is much more stable. Mine fell off a few months after I received it (one of the early copies), and they replaced it with a newer-design wheel. They should replace yours for free if yours is one of the early specimens, even if it is out of warranty.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks. I've e-mailed Leica Customer Service in Solms and asked them if it can be done by the distributor in Denmark or if it has to go to Solms.

Didn't know they use a new button / wheel, but that's comforting. I haven't spared the DMR for anything so I thought it would never fall off even I've heard that it was quite common.

I was on a shoot yesterday when it happened so I had to shoot M9 most of it :D and then only the DMR when I could use 100 ISO and Auto WB (which was where it was set when it fell off).

Have DMR jobs tomorrow and Friday. Will have to see how I do that :rolleyes:

Thanks for the information in any case. Helped clarify the situation.

Thanks. I've e-mailed Leica Customer Service in Solms and asked them if it can be done by the distributor in Denmark or if it has to go to Solms.

Didn't know they use a new button / wheel, but that's comforting. I haven't spared the DMR for anything so I thought it would never fall off even I've heard that it was quite common.

I was on a shoot yesterday when it happened so I had to shoot M9 most of it :D and then only the DMR when I could use 100 ISO and Auto WB (which was where it was set when it fell off).

Have DMR jobs tomorrow and Friday. Will have to see how I do that :rolleyes:

Thanks for the information in any case. Helped clarify the situation.

I had my wheel taped for more than a year in Asia before being able to make it back for a visit to North America. Fortunately, the DMR was stuck on daylight balance and 400 ISO. I do understand the feeling...

Well, I'm in system change mood after I got word back from Solms.

They have no spare parts.

Don't know when they will get them.

No replacement cameras for loaning.

But they say I'm welcome to send it anyways :rolleyes:

Sometimes I suspect their english to be so bad they can't express a concept precisely. I mean, what kind of message is that to give to customers.

I don't know if it will help my DMR sitting in Solms with a view to all the M9 cameras rolling over the tables and out the factory. Then again, not so much doing here around as a camera stuck on 100 ISO and Auto WB.

Seriously (as serious as you can get after a depressing message like that), I'm wondering if I might give up R and go exclusively M9. Or if it's time for S2 already. Anyways, I'll sleep on that for some nights and see what I come up with. DMR does some great files and we don't know how the S2 files look yet.

Sometimes I suspect their english to be so bad they can't express a concept precisely. I mean, what kind of message is that to give to customers.

I don't know if it will help my DMR sitting in Solms with a view to all the M9 cameras rolling over the tables and out the factory. Then again, not so much doing here around as a camera stuck on 100 ISO and Auto WB.

Seriously (as serious as you can get after a depressing message like that), I'm wondering if I might give up R and go exclusively M9. Or if it's time for S2 already. Anyways, I'll sleep on that for some nights and see what I come up with. DMR does some great files and we don't know how the S2 files look yet.

I understand what you mean, I've been in that mood for the past couple of months but still can't get the nerve to part with the DMR since the files are so gorgeous. I'm actually looking at HD video these days... Maybe the S2... It's all annoying...

Wait till you try the M9 - or have you tried the M8/M8.2?

I like the purity of it, the sound, the compactness, and the speed of uncomplicated operation.

Just did a shoot tonight with it and the old 50/2 at 400 ISO. I like the whole thing a lot, though I look forward to the proper Lightroom M9-profile in two days time when Adobe release them.

This is mixed light of two daylight LED light plates from Rosco ( leica.overgaard.dk - Thorsten Overgaard's Leica Pages - The Quality of Light [ARRI lamps, Kino Flo, flood lights, reflectors, LED lights, Rosco LitePad and available light ] - page 5 of 5) and then the tungsten light of the room make it hard to judge skin colors and all. But the feel of the M9 - wow!

Hope to try the S2 in the Leica studio in London in October when I go there.

Sorry to see this, though I'm not sure if I'd personally go for the S2 as a replacement. For the price of a S2 you can get 5-6 backup DMRs. They should last you about 20 years!

Wait till you try the M9 - or have you tried the M8/M8.2?

I like the purity of it, the sound, the compactness, and the speed of uncomplicated operation.

Just did a shoot tonight with it and the old 50/2 at 400 ISO. I like the whole thing a lot, though I look forward to the proper Lightroom M9-profile in two days time when Adobe release them.

This is mixed light of two daylight LED light plates from Rosco ( leica.overgaard.dk - Thorsten Overgaard's Leica Pages - The Quality of Light [ARRI lamps, Kino Flo, flood lights, reflectors, LED lights, Rosco LitePad and available light ] - page 5 of 5) and then the tungsten light of the room make it hard to judge skin colors and all. But the feel of the M9 - wow!

Hope to try the S2 in the Leica studio in London in October when I go there.

Yes I've tried the M8 before for a few weeks, I'm again considering it now, well the M8.2. I haven't been able to try the M9 yet. The attraction here for me is weight (well lack of it) and small size for times I don't want to carry the DMR and assorted lenses. I should be able to get a hold of an M9 to try I hope soon.

By the way, great samples here! Although you don't have the proper M9 profile yet in LR they look good. I know you don't like C1 but it seems some people have coaxed nice M9 stuff from it too.

I should be trying the S2 in a couple of weeks (at least I am hoping to), I look forward to it. These are indeed interesting times...

I just received my DMR from New Jersey for the ISO dial fix 3 weeks ago. Leica turned it around in 3 weeks. Mine broke off, stalk and all, when I bumped it against a wall. They did charge $350 for the fix.

You mght want to check with Leica New Jersey instead of Solms.

JHellow

Hi Thorsten,

Sorry to hear that your DMR is out of action. I hope you do stick with the R system. BUT, should you ever decide to sell off your 35 - 70 f2.8 please let me know! My second DMR that I bought a few months ago has gone to Solms to have the "set" button checked, as it does not always spring back when released. But my DMR number 1 is handling the work load! :-)

Glad you liked the M9. I handled it briefly in the Leica Mayfair shop yesterday.

regards

Mark

I thought by EU law, spares had to be available for up to 7 years (or thereabouts).

In the UK, it may be that this sort of thing might be covered by the Sale of Goods Act (see below)

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Five consumer laws you really ought to know

Charlie