which non expensive lens for my M8?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You can pick up a CL + 40 mm Cron for EUR 400. Will make a superb lens for M8. E39 filters do not fit perfectly, but can be used on Summicron-C and Elmar-C lenses.

When I had an M8 I found that, despite having a suite of lenses ranging from 12mm to 90mm, the one I used most was the little CV 28mm f3.5 Skopar - pin sharp and just the right FOV for a walk-around lens. It was also so small that it didn't intrude into the vewfinder. It was much more convenient in use than the CV 28mm f1.9, which is a large beast that cuts off the bottom RH corner of the viewfinder image.

I almost never used my 35mm Ultron, finding the FOV too narrow.

On the M9 I've gone for a 35mm Summarit, for a similar FOV to the 28 on the M8, and to get Leica quality right into the corners. The M9's full-frame sensor has shown up a fall-off in performance in the corners of the image for most of my CV lenses. The M8 is kind to these lenses, using only the centre of the image circle.

Edited by jlancasterd
:

Originally Posted by fuchs

Hola Miguel,

pasé por tu galería online de Zenfolio, y quería felicitarte por las muy buenas imágenes que tienes allí. Me parece que para tu estilo el mejor lente sería el Summarit 50. El Elmar 50 es un buen y lindo lente, iría a por él sólo si se justificara la diferencia en €€.

Salud

Gracias, Ed!

Mi mujer es argentina y estuve en Buenos Aires hace unos años. Lástima que no tuviese mi M8 por aquella época. Increible ciudad. Lamentablemente use mis nikon reflex analógicas y me revelaron mal los negativos. Espero poder volver alguna vez con mis leicas.

Saludos

Guys - I admire your multilingual skills, but I haven't a clue what your contribution to this thread is; and I'd really like to read your replies. It seems the option of me learning your language before the release of the M12 is optimistic - so is it possible for you to post in English?

................. Chris

Guys - I admire your multilingual skills, but I haven't a clue what your contribution to this thread is; and I'd really like to read your replies. It seems the option of me learning your language before the release of the M12 is optimistic - so is it possible for you to post in English?

................. Chris

Using Babelfish for all of two seconds, I get this:

"Hello Miguel, I happened through your gallery online of Zenfolio, and wanted felicitarte by the very good images that you have there. It seems to me that for your style the best lens would be Summarit 50. Elmar 50 is a good one and pretty lens, would go to by him only if the difference in €€ were justified. Health Thanks, Ed! My woman has been Argentine and I was in Buenos Aires for years. Pity that did not have my M8 by that one time. Incredible city. Lamentably nikon uses my reflex analogical and they revealed bad the negatives to me. I hope to be able to return with my leicas sometimes. Greetings"

................. Chris

Chris,

I'm sure that if you apply yourself to it, you will get a good mastering of Spanish already for the M10, anyway in the meantime I can offer you a couple options that will let you have a pretty good idea of what is being said in about any language, well, most of them actually.

First (and fastest to use) is the Babelfish add-on. Just highlight the text and get a translation in the form of a hint. Works with Firefox, but I'm not sure about the other internet browsers.

Second, copy the text you want to translate and paste it in the upper window at the following link, choose your languages and click translate. The result is pretty good and better than the Babelfish one in this case.

Im Translator : Free Translation Service

One last option is to have Google translate the full page, but quite frankly I use it just when I'm in need of a good laugh, it usually does cheer me up quite a bit ...

Hope this helps.

I certainly agree the 50 is too long on the M8 for a general purpose lens and I certainly understand the idea of having a camera which you are less worried about taking anywhere.

I too would recommend a secondhand 35mm Summicron, either the last pre-ASPH version or the current ASPH version. 35mm is a perfect general purpose focal length on the M8, especially if you want f2 where the 28 is too expensive for this role.

Guest Bernd Banken

The 35 Cron Vers. IV is my MPs bodycap. It was not too expensive and delivers great results (much better than my skills...

):

Flickr: deandare06's Photostream

the portrait shots with the Swatch lenses on the nose

Before I had the tiny Color Scopar 35mm f2.5 but for my fingers it was too small regarding aperture ring, focusring.......

here a shot you can see a very slight distortion of the left side of the box:

security on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

for the price it's not so bad.....

Cheers

Bernd

I think that the winner is the 35 cron. I'm looking for a second hand. Looking in ebay, I've found some but I've never used this service and I'm a bit scare. Any other Ideas? It has to be coded.

Thank you for the replies and sorry for the spanish comment. It was not so important!

L 123LEMD05119 3.5/35 m leitz 1177238 sans 390.00 euros

L 123LEMD06414 2/35 m leitz 2313517 sans 850.00 euros

L 123LEMD06565 2/35 m leitz 2538811 3 mois 695.00 euros

L 123LEMD06575 2/35 m asph leica 3861651 12 mois 1460.00 euros

At Le Moyen Format Occasions :

La Maison du Leica tel:+33 1.43.55.24x36 fax:+33 1.43.55.37.36

52 Bd Beaumarchais 75011 Paris

http://www.lemoyenformat.com/MGWEBOCC.htm

http://www.lamaisonduleica.com/

Edited by danyves
Additions corrections

You've ended up with a sound decision. Look for a 35mm pre-asph Summicron, preferably ver. 4.

The Summarit would be more 'clinical' in image quality.

The 40mm Summicron would be even more economical & was a wise suggestion, but see Graeme's parallel thread on it - it would need some filing & a filter adapter.

Kirk

Edited by thompsonkirk
more info

The V4 cron is an excellent lens. I had one along side a cron asph for a year, and could not really tell the difference, other than the larger size of the asph.

The V3 cron is also a very good lens, as are the 40 crons and equivalent 40 CLE Rokkors. One thing about the 40s is unless modified, they bring up the 50 framelines, not the 35 lines, and they may not have coding equivalents, or manual lens info. for use on the M9.

You've ended up with a sound decision. Look for a 35mm pre-asph Summicron, preferably ver. 4.

The Summarit would be more 'clinical' in image quality.

The 40mm Summicron would be even more economical & was a wise suggestion, but see Graeme's parallel thread on it - it would need some filing & a filter adapter.

Kirk