which non expensive lens for my M8?

Fotomiguel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm buying the new M9, but I'm going to keep my M8 as a second body and to use the camera with just one lens taking it anywhere with less care than my new M9.

I would like a not too expensive lens. 35 or 50mm.

Which one would you choose?

leica elmar- 50/2.8 retractil

leica 35 summarit

leica 50 summarit

Any other idea.

The m8 is a wonderful camera and I'm going to enjoy it for a long time. My last day off I went for a walk to Inca (Mallorca). I love my M8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I personally would suggest the 35mm Summarit as an excellent lower-cost all-round lens. It's compact, light-weight and can give beautiful results. Used wide-open, I think that it gives very nice OOF too. :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hola Miguel,

pasé por tu galería online de Zenfolio, y quería felicitarte por las muy buenas imágenes que tienes allí. Me parece que para tu estilo el mejor lente sería el Summarit 50. El Elmar 50 es un buen y lindo lente, iría a por él sólo si se justificara la diferencia en €€.

Salud

Why can't you use one of the lenses you now have? I don't get the point of using a cheaper lens? Will your images with the M8 be less important to you? It sounds like your M8 has been demoted. BTW, if you want to go with something less expensive, you might also consider another brand like Zeiss or Voiglander, but that will violate Leica purity of image, something else to consider. IMHO, I would use what I have and not treat the M8 as yesterday's toy. Que pasa hombre?

Edited by wilfredo

Hmm, in reference to "but that will violate Leica purity of image", what are we talking about? What difference does it make to anyone? If the picture was taken with a Voigtlander lens, would that make it bad? How about if a filter was made by some other company?

I do understand the point of this discussion. I'm planning on taking another trip to Asia in a month or so, and if if I have two almost identical items, I usually take the one with me that's easiest to replace were anything to go wrong. Having one's old M8 stolen would be horrible, but it would be even worse if it were a brand new M9, so if I had a brand new M9 in two weeks, it would still be the M8 traveling with me.

The 35 sumarit seems to be a nice option and the second hand 35 cron a winner. One more option would be to keep the 50 cron on the m8 and to buy a new 50mm summilux for the M9.:D

But a nice 35mm would be better for both cameras.

Jeff, I think that the 35 cron will keep me doubting for my whole life.:o

Wilfredo, no te enfades... but the Queen will be the M9 with all my gear and I'll use the m8 as it was a compact camera or a X1 and as Mike says if I have to risk a camera, it will be the M8.

Hola Miguel,

pasé por tu galería online de Zenfolio, y quería felicitarte por las muy buenas imágenes que tienes allí. Me parece que para tu estilo el mejor lente sería el Summarit 50. El Elmar 50 es un buen y lindo lente, iría a por él sólo si se justificara la diferencia en €€.

Salud

Gracias, Ed!

Mi mujer es argentina y estuve en Buenos Aires hace unos años. Lástima que no tuviese mi M8 por aquella época. Increible ciudad. Lamentablemente use mis nikon reflex analógicas y me revelaron mal los negativos. Espero poder volver alguna vez con mis leicas.

Saludos

I strongly recommend Voigtlander 21mm. The image is so sharp and contrasty with my M8 and it's so small and fit to M8 contour line. and it becomes my 'standard' lens on M8. It's eqv to 28mm. Superb!

Find all recomandations good except the one for the Summarit 50.

Tried all these lenses, except one, and the Summarit 50 underperformed even the Elmar, while the 35Rit is OK for it's price.

Sold most of them again, since I don't believe in having many lenses.

You clearly stated Miguel, that you want either a 50mm or a 35mm.

I think your choice (35Cron Asph 2nd hand) is the best.

That's the one I kept out of all mentioned here, though it does not get much use.

What's the point in having the same focal length on the M8 and M9?

But probably Wilfredo gave top advise: you spent on M9, so maybe use one of the lenses you alredy have on the M8?

Lumbak's post is what I found also: my 25mm Voigtlaender is better than the 3.4/24mm and almost as good as the 2.8/28mm Asph. At the same time I tested a 21 Voigtlaender and it was not good at all. Sean Read was so good to answer me in this forum stating, that there are big variations and I was lucky with mine, just as lumbak was with his own 21mm.

Great pics, Miguel! :)

Thanks tri!

I don't like street photography shot with wide lenses. But the 35 become a 50mm in the m8 so just perfect. On the other hand, shooting landscape sometimes I need a lens between my 28mm and the 50mm. So I would use it as well with the M9. Normally I use the 50mm with the M8 but I carry all the lenses; so I have the 28 in case I need it. But if I want to use the m8 with just one lens, the 35 would be much better.

So I will wait for a 35cron looking for a good oportunity.