Does anyone dare to try to update his/her M8.x with the M9 firmware?

mboerma

I don't think so either, but why not? I assume Leica used a similar firmware chip as in the M8.x. They invested a lot of money in the M8.x one so why not reuse it if possible. They only big change is the sensor size, but I don't think this really matters for type of DSP they used, just added some extra memory.

I don't want to try but maybe there are daredevils which did try it. What could go wrong?

You could brick the camera leaving it totally unusable...

The new firmware is according to Mark Norton encrypted, and it's not clear there's logic on board the M8 to decode it. Additionally the sensor hardware of the M9 is different from the M8, so the new firmware would not be getting the input data in a format it's expecting from the M8 sensor. And the vignetting and color correction logic of the new firmware is designed for a different sized sensor from the M8, so it would not correctly process an image from an M8 sensor. And....

Best just to wait and see what's forthcoming from the official source.

Do not try this.

I am a lifelong software professional.

Firmware is extremely device and level specific, similarity is not nearly good enough.

Properly designed flashing software will usually recognize appropriate (or not ) firmware and refuse to flash the wrong version. In the unlikely event that you can circumvent or hack this, the almost certain result is 'bricking' the camera so it will have to go for a real depot repair where they will either replace or re-burn the processor.

Remember when flashing new firmware, the warning is always that you cannot go back, this is why.

Regards ... Harold

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What would be nice, however, would be diff'ing the two firmware versions and producing a 3rd-party one.

I know it was done recently for the canon firmware found on the 5d, there isn't anything stopping it happening on the leica's, besides time and effort i guess.

Take the best from the m8/m8.2/m9 and create a frankenstein custom image.

Probably not even possible to try - the M9 firmware "starts over" at v. 1.002, so the M8 will just refuse to load what looks like an "earlier" firmware, just as it would refure to reload v 1.002 of the M8 firmware over something more recent.

Oh, this will not work, they have likely very different hardware interfaces. If Leica has made the software that controls updates of the firmware right, it won't even load the firmware file. If you hack the M9 image and somehow replaces parts of the file data with data that fools this update controller it's a M8 file, then you're on your own with your fine but dead camera. Seriously, don't even try. It's not like cramming in a V8 in a Volkswagen, which you can do with the right skills.