Experiencing severe vignetting at F1.0 on the 50 Noctilux coded ...

Stefflaurent

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I do love that new M9, work fine with the 21 elmarit asph., 2! cron 35 cron 50 cron...But when I shoot a new (but second hand) Noctilux at F1 (wide open) and I have severe asymetrical vigneting (more on the right than on the left size. It's really strange the corner are almost black , although the lens is recognised by the M9.

An the other side I have a Canon 0.95 wich looks better for the vignetting (he also softer..)

Is this the normal Noctilux rendering ?

Thanks for your help...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Some vignetting, but not that bad in a practical example, I think - like it!

Is your Noctilux coded? Was the lens detection switched On or Off in the menu - it makes quite a difference. There also seems to be a slight color cast change between detection On or Off, no IR-UV filter was used. Pictures below with a coded lens.

Bob.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Both samples look like they have a slight red tint in the corners, as if the built-in correction is over-compensating cyan drift...

Sandy

They were taken under horrible fluorescent lighting and were of a white wall with green paint underneath, custom WB. - I'll send you some DNGs taken in daylight of a white mounting board.

Bob.

Edited by gravastar

Based on many examples I've seen now with several focal lengths, I'd wager on a firmware tweak of corrections for some lenses coming soon - mostly to knock down that reddish-magenta stain that creeps in. Nocti is probably high on the list needing the tweak.

Here are a bunch of Nocitlux samples, some likely with film (24 x 36). Notice how small the blur cicles get near the corners. At f/1, the Nocti has basically an f/2 aperture by the time you get to the corners - on film or the M9 - due to the cutoff of the aperture by the lens barrel.

The World's Best Photos of f1 and leica. Flickr Hive Mind Search

This on shows it well (film M7) http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=3283878941&size=large

Edited by adan

They were taken under horrible fluorescent lighting and were of a white wall with green paint underneath, custom WB. - I'll send you some DNGs taken in daylight of a white mounting board.

Bob.

Ah, ok. The M8 also does that under some kinds of fluorescent lighting.

Sandy

I was afraid the Lens was wrong, but no... I will try to sho a white cardboard (better than a wall in tungsten light) in daylight to verify and do the same again with the Canon 0.95...Hey I do like the vignette but didn't know it was so hard on the Noctilux (F1 version).

The strangest thing is the assymetry of the vignette...

The strangest thing is the assymetry of the vignette...

Maybe not so strange, the slightest unevenness in lighting of the cardboard will influence (percieved) vignetting. Could be the lens, but unless you control lighting accurately, it will be hard to decide from such a test.

One thing that caught me out with the M8 is the symmetry of the vignetting depends on the positioning of the sensor with respect to the lens axis. I had lens hoods that didn't vignette on one M8 but did vignette quite badly on one side of the image on another.

The Canon 0.95 does vignette less than the f/1.0 Noctilux but has color fringing on high contrast edges. The fringing is much much less on the Noctilux. Because of this some Canon 0.95 images are better displayed in black and white. You pays your money and takes your choice :D.

Bob.

I love Holga photography but don't own one.. I don't need to :) hehe Seriously though, there's something perfect about those imperfections. I like character and precision, this lens has both it seems.

Absolutely correct!

It is also a very demanding lens. It demands that the photographer has the qualities of character and precision. ;)

This is what I missed about the Noctilux. I know it can be done in post, but it's just nice to get it in camera.

That's what I like about the Noctilux on full frame. It encourages you to think about and find subjects that will benefit from the vignetting. I'm very pleased that we have most of it back in the M9 :).

Bob.