Wake up!

okram

Advertisement (gone after registration)

:D

Dear friends, can anybody check: what is the M9 wake up time- when it goes to sleep and after the shutter button is pressed to the time picture is taken?

Startup time should be similar, can somebody check that too?

My M8 is about 0.7sec to 1sec, and I was always hoping for next M to have it almost inexistent (like most pro dslr since 5 years ago) ...

Thanks

M

I am not looking for the exact figure.

The fact is that I carry M8 in my hand most of the time and have it turn off at 2 min.

(batteries dont last much if I dont) and shoot with focusing already set.

There are many situations when I see a possible picture I slightly touch the shutter to wake it up to be ready.

There are also occasional situations (and these get very on my nerves) when I loose a picture that showed up in a second.

IMO wakeup time of M8 is something that really cannot be called a "pro feature".

Especially compared to some other "pro" cameras that I own.

Does anybody know if this has been improved at M9? Something like INSTANT (0.1 sec) wakeup time (1Ds, 5D2...)

Thanks in advance,

M

How can you tell that the M9 is ready to shoot? On my M8s the image counter and battery indicator light up when I touch the shutter release button, so I know when it's ready to shoot even before I raise it to my eye. The M9 no longer has the counter and indicator, so...?

Usually M8 is ready to shoot before the display shows battery and number...

I know because If you press, an want the picture immediately (like film camera...),

and hold it, it will fire after 0.7-1 sec.

Sometimes I press 3-4 times in hope that it will fire for the desired motive- but usually it is gone. This happens to me about 5-10 times a year...

It probably still won't satisfy you, but all I can add is that it is definitely not instant (i.e. 0.1s). It sounds to me like you are after moments so fleeting that the best option would be to keep the camera on and carry some spare batteries. How much of a drain have you found this to be on a battery?

How can you tell that the M9 is ready to shoot? On my M8s the image counter and battery indicator light up when I touch the shutter release button, so I know when it's ready to shoot even before I raise it to my eye. The M9 no longer has the counter and indicator, so...?

When the red light stops flashing?

I would say 1 second or less. The red lamp turns on, turns off, and it fires.

However, one tend to press the button, then wait to be sure it's awake, and then shoots. So that way you easily spend 5 seconds.

With the D2 which I have to go to sleep after 15 minutes, I press the shutter slightly when walking into a scene where I might use it. Then I'm sure it's awake.

If I hold down the shutter button and switch the camera on I'd estimate the delay to be between 0.4 and 0.5 of a second before the picture is taken. This of course may not be a valid way to test.

If the camera is off and I switch it on and as quickly as possible press the release I barely have time to notice any delay. I have to be very quick to notice it. I'd be surprised if in practice switching on and raising the camera to shooting position it wasn't ready to immediately take a picture. These tests were done with the "soft" release option set. Under daylight conditions there seems to be no difference in delay between "Auto" and "Manual" shutter modes.

Bob.

Thanks Bob, I hoped they improved significantly this...

Iguess I will have to live with that.

I never used M8 without auto off, but somebody here reported about 2 hours of shooting like this.(I am not sure)

I guess I am spoiled since after film cameras, my first digital one was 1ds2, and it was isntant. Same with 5D2.

In my eyes it is a pro feature- one more thing that makes a pro camera. Imagine shooting a film camera-there is no wakeup/startup time time.

Thanks guys.

M

You are right the M8 wake up clocks in at .728 seconds...

I just got a reply email from Solms Marketing - The M9 has a standard .756 second wake up!

That is TOTALLY unacceptable for a $7uberdollar camera! :mad:

I was soooo close to buying it - NOW I have changed my mind completely!

It does if you don't focus and compose.

I you shoot people, they are incredibly fast. Some reactions (that can make a picture) can be foreseen but most cannot.

There is no limit how fast camera can be in any respect.

M

*M8/50 1.4 at f2/1/8000

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by okram

You are right the M8 wake up clocks in at .728 seconds...

I just got a reply email from Solms Marketing - The M9 has a standard .756 second wake up!

That is TOTALLY unacceptable for a $7uberdollar camera! :mad:

I was soooo close to buying it - NOW I have changed my mind completely!

What is the from cold wake up time of a 1DSMk3 and D3x?

Wilson

Marko, please can you explain that picture? I don't understand what it demonstrates: how could you have prefocused that at 1.4, and how could you not anticipate that throw? Just curious.

Note I am not mocking ultrafast startup times; I know some pro cameras have it and some pros swear by it...

Thanks.

I am sorry if this is misunderstood, the picture is just an illustration, not an example of fast wakeup necessity.

(But nevertheless, this boy was not posing , I was up to take a portrait but he suddenly decided to throw it. It is an illustration of "unexpected behavior".)

The shots I am talking about are taken mostly with 28mm...prefocused etc.

Maybe this is a better example- something that you cannot foresee, but keep your camera ready- or have fast w. time.

28mm/f2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!