New Member and Leica M9 Owner

oliverfox

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, just finished registering today. I've also just bought an M9 and have put some initial images and thoughts on the camera on my blog. Whilst I am not into the technical detail as much as other folk seem to be, you might find what I have to say interesting. Overall I'm pretty impressed.

If you are interested, you can see the posts here...

Oliver Fox Photography

Thanks, Oli.

Welcome to the forum Oli. Your shots are mpressive and you should post some in the photo forum.

BTW - I would go back to your dealer and make a further enquiry about the Passport (I am assuming you are UK based). Some were delivered with it and some without - sounds like a rushed packing glitch to me.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Oli,

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for providing the line to your site. I found your observations helpful, as I too own the MP, and as much as I like it I've got the M9 on order. I loved your photos, and would enjoy seeing some photos with M9 + Nokton combination.

Best,

Jeff

Oliver, nice entry on your blog.

For your concern about screen,

After too much time with this (full of bubbles and obscuring the view,

even with a careful application) :

ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Leica M8 Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

I use now this :

ACMAXX Products

No hassle applying it on screen, no bubble, no contact

with the screen itself and thick enough to withstand shock.

Thought it could be useful to many, now that Leica wrote off the sapphire glass on the M9.

Yes, welcome to the forum.

You say the M9 blows the D700 out of the water - and so it should given it costs, say, 2.5 times as much and has 18MP against 12MP. I'm quite confident the D3 will blow the M9 out of the water when it comes to noise; The D3 is still at least 2 stops better than the M9 plus the D3 can rattle along at something like 5 times the frame rate. Horses for courses, I think.

A better comparison is the D3x which is about the same price at the M9 and the problem then is that there are few lenses in the same league as the M lenses. I see the M9 as a big step forwards in clearly demonstrating the superiority of M lenses but the pointless cost cutting still riles me.

Edited by marknorton

Johann (Hel), do you remember which size ACMAXX LCD Armor protector you found fitting the M8/9.

thanks

Michael

Michael, no, I sent an email to the seller (it was through eBay) and he told me to

ask for an M8 shield. Hope it helps .:)

I enjoyed reading your observations on the blog.

I would like to follow your path of transition from MP to M9, and also from scanned Tri-x to instant digital.

1. How's the latitude and dynamic range in M9 - anywhere close to Tri-x?

2. How fast is the camera ? I have had used a friend's M8 and found it be too slow [compared to my MP(!) and Canon DSLR], it took a while to read and display the photos. Many a time, it showed the "card full" notice, though the SD card was not even 1/10th filled up.

3. How's noise of the shutter - is it any close to MP or does it make a lot of noise? M8 with discreet mode was noticeably louder than MP.

Please share a few more photos, both colour and B&W.

Edited by leica007

Hi,

1. I can't really comment accurately without doing a comparative experiment and that's not something I'm into. My gut feel is that the dynamic range of Tri-X is probably still superior, but with accurate exposure when using the M9 you shouldn't really be overly concerned with dynamic range. My concern is more with grain and the look and feel of Tri-X. Daft though it may sound, Tri-X is dirtier and less clinical than most digital images and that's why I love it.

2. The speed of use of the camera is slow in some areas. It sounds like your friend has the same issues that I do in that the ability to review images is really slow. However, in terms of shooting images I have not been impeded by any slowness of function.

3. The shutter noise is not an issue. In comparison to an MP I think it is probably a little louder on firing the shutter and a little more louder on re-cocking it, but it's still no where near the cacophony of the SLR blunderbuss mechanisms. Once you get used to using it, you appreciate the discretion in the same way as you do with the MP. It's just slightly different.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Oli.