Shutter speed live update on Info screen

gravastar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't know if anyone has noticed.... If you wake the camera up with a partial press on the shutter button and then press the rear Info button the LCD display shows the shutter speed in real time. As you change the lens aperture the displayed speed changes. This continues until the exposure measurement times out.

Bob.

But does it update if you turn the shutter speed dial off A mode. You can always get the shutter speed in the viewfinder when in A mode but when working in dark areas and using manual shutter speeds it's sometimes tough to know what shutter speed you are actually using.

But does it update if you turn the shutter speed dial off A mode. You can always get the shutter speed in the viewfinder when in A mode but when working in dark areas and using manual shutter speeds it's sometimes tough to know what shutter speed you are actually using.

Yes, it does and it doesn't time out either - it's a continuous display :).

ETA: If the camera is in metering mode then as you turn the shutter dial the display change appears to be instantaneous. If the camera isn't metering there is about half a second delay between turning the speed dial and the display changing. This feature is most welcome when working in dark environments.

Bob.

Edited by gravastar

This was one of my main reasons for getting the M9 and really deserves comment. If I'm working in a dark environment (concert / theatre) I'll typically work in Manual mode. My problem is that I find it pretty well impossible to read the shutter speed dial without using a torch and the business of knowing what speed I'm shooting at can sometimes only be reconciled by taking a test shot, seeing from the preview what the speed was, and then adjusting. Clunky or what? With the new INFO function the problem's solved. It's exactly the same feature that I use all the time with my Canon 5Dmk2 - and it's SO useful.

This was one of my main reasons for getting the M9 and really deserves comment. If I'm working in a dark environment (concert / theatre) I'll typically work in Manual mode. My problem is that I find it pretty well impossible to read the shutter speed dial without using a torch and the business of knowing what speed I'm shooting at can sometimes only be reconciled by taking a test shot, seeing from the preview what the speed was, and then adjusting. Clunky or what? With the new INFO function the problem's solved. It's exactly the same feature that I use all the time with my Canon 5Dmk2 - and it's SO useful.

Its on the LCD rather than in the viewfinder?

btw, Chris, I shoot somewhat similar stuff to yours stage, concerts, etc. Sitting in the dark, trying to figure out the shutter speed is a real pain. So I ended up using my 1DmkIII most of the time. Its rehearsals that gets M8 work.