A simple request to Leica on Auto ISO

yanidel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am convinced the M9 will be the ultimate camera for street photography due to the many ergonomics improvements. Yet one very important and simple one remains the same on Auto-ISO.

I would absolutely love to have the ability to set a higher minimum speed. Currently, it is limited to 1/125th, but 1/250th or even 1/500th would be much better for fast paced scenes. 1/125th is just not fast enough to freeze all scenes.

This should be an easy fix, so hope they think about it in the next firmware. ;)

I wholeheartedly agree with Yanidel. An option of limiting the shutter speed to 1/250th would be great for street photography. I usually shoot at ISO320 as a safety net, but I would use 160 if I could set the Auto ISO shutter limit to 1/250. Sometimes you have your aperture set for a certain depth of field and something happens in the shadows so quickly that you just pull focus and snap without time to change the aperture.

I am convinced the M9 will be the ultimate camera for street photography due to the many ergonomics improvements. Yet one very important and simple one remains the same on Auto-ISO.

I would absolutely love to have the ability to set a higher minimum speed. Currently, it is limited to 1/125th, but 1/250th or even 1/500th would be much better for fast paced scenes. 1/125th is just not fast enough to freeze all scenes.

This should be an easy fix, so hope they think about it in the next firmware. ;)

Hmm...that's a good idea. I don't ever use auto_ISO but your suggestion could be good for those who do.

Err guys - you do realise you can set the shutter speed manually, right? :-)

Set ISO to Auto, set shutter speed to 1/500, set aperture to your choice. The ISO will adjust automagically.

Your solution won't work if correct exposure is outside the ISO range. It will result in under or over-exposed shots.

Your solution won't work if correct exposure is outside the ISO range. It will result in under or over-exposed shots.

Of course it will if you use a wildly inappropriate aperture. Which is why you need to choose a corresponding aperture that's right (at least in general terms) for the light you're in and the shutter speed you want to work at. But what it will give you is a 4 or 5 stop range of auto ISO to play with, which is more than enough for street photography.

Edited by ndjambrose