M9 exif

Marty

Have you installed the latest firmware?

If not give it a try.

But I think the serial # is embedded in the hardware and could be that it wasn't updated properly at the factory. early units rushed out the door.

I like having the serial # displayed in the EXIF info so maybe you need to send this M9 in for service to have it properly embedded.

The M9 dng files (according to Carl and Sandy) have put the MakerNotes into a very different format, so the software that has presented serial number, "unique id" or number of shutter activations, estimated aperture, and which controls were set -- doesn't work for the M9. Given time and personal M9s to do experiments with, they will probably work out where the old stuff is and what new stuff is now presented. But there is a quicker way -- ask Leica to tell us! Let's use this thread to ask the Leica development team to make some of the information in their maker notes available to PhaseOne, Adobe, Apple and maybe even us.

My personal list includes

serial number

unique id

auto ISO on?

discreet mode on?

estimated aperture

what else?

scott

Some of the images available for download here and elsewhere were taken with camera with beta firmware; cameras with production 1.002 firmware display correctly. At least, all of the 1.002 images that I have seen have serial numbers.

Actual aperture won't be displayed by software. At least until the MakerNotes are decoded.

Sandy

Some of the images available for download here and elsewhere were taken with camera with beta firmware; cameras with production 1.002 firmware display correctly. At least, all of the 1.002 images that I have seen have serial numbers.

Actual aperture won't be displayed by software. At least until the MakerNotes are decoded.

Sandy

Yes the Unique Image ID is displayed, at least on one camera, because there was a owner of a M9 that the first shot he took was number 2000+ and I told him to check the Unique Image ID for the true total shutter activation. It turn out that number was 50+ and he had used a SD card from his M8 in the M9 and the M9 just continued to number images from the last image shot on that card.

• 2 weeks later...

The serial no of my M9 is only displayed as asterisks. I have Version 1.002 but I will try to reinstall this version tonight.

In addition even my 6-bit coded lenses won't show in the EXIF. I'm also lacking any aperture information.

Is that only me, or do I have fellows here ;-)

Besides that I like the new M9 very much, it's sharp and so much fun to use.

Greetings from Frankfurt, Germany

ciao tpk

In addition even my 6-bit coded lenses won't show in the EXIF. I'm also lacking any aperture information.

Welcome to the forum.

I've just looked at the sample shots I took the other day, and they have the lens information. Are you sure you have lens detection set to on?

The Exif data doesn't show aperture information - there's no mechanical or electrical link between the lens and camera.

..............................................................The Exif data doesn't show aperture information - there's no mechanical or electrical link between the lens and camera.

The camera does estimate the aperture though and uses it to determine the amount of vignetting correction required. The estimated aperture is included in the M8 Exif information although most programs don't report it. The camera uses the ratio of the light measured by it's internal exposure meter to that of the scene brightness as measured by the photocell above and to the left of the Leica logo to estimate the aperture.

Bob.

@Steve: Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes I used an 6-bit 28mm Elmarit on the M9 with automatic selection set, no info in the EXIF. I do have a non-coded 50mm Summicron which I have to select manually; this should not show-up in the EXIF, correct?

@Bob: If there is no link between camera and lens, how does "aperture priority" work? Is the shutter speed calculated based on the estimated aperture You mentioned?

I'll update the camera with the most recent sw version from the Leica website and report tomorrow.

ciao tpk

.....................@Bob: If there is no link between camera and lens, how does "aperture priority" work? Is the shutter speed calculated based on the estimated aperture You mentioned?....................

The interesting thing about rangefinder Leicas is that they measure the amount of light falling on the sensor/film plane with the lens stopped down to the aperture you have set. They don't need to know the aperture value in order to calculate the exposure. It's different than an SLR where the exposure is calculated at full aperture which requires the camera to be told what the stopped down aperture will be at the moment of picture taking. The brightness of the "direct view" image in a rangefinder viewfinder is unaffected by the aperture setting.

In the M9 there are three central shutter blades, two gray and a white. It's the light reflected from these that is used to calculate the required shutter speed. The disadvantage of stopped down metering is limited measurement range in low light when the lens is stopped down to a small aperture.

Bob.

Edited by gravastar

Bob,

thanks for the explanation about the metering of the rangefinders.

As for the original issue. Even after a sw reload the lens is still not shown in the EXIF.

I think I just live with this small inconvenience and enjoy the camera.

ciao tpk

Bob,

thanks for the explanation about the metering of the rangefinders.

As for the original issue. Even after a sw reload the lens is still not shown in the EXIF.

I think I just live with this small inconvenience and enjoy the camera.

ciao tpk

Make sure the lens is fully locked into the camera lens mount. You should hear a click. If it is not fully locked in or over turned past the lock point the lens code reader on the camera won't work.

With new cameras the mounts are sometime very tight and although you think the lens is mounted properly it is not locked in. And or some users try to take it easy on the mount, lens and locking lug on the body and hold down that lug until the lens stops turning. In this type of case the user will turn the lens past the locking lug.

In both cases the lens code read on the body can not properly read the code on the lens.

Or simply you have a M9 with a bad lens code reader. No one else has reported this.

It's one or the other. Hopefully what I discribed first.

Marty,

I see the focal length in the EXIF, I thought it would also show the model like other cameras ;-) So it seems to be no issue, I simply expected the wrong information.

Thanks to all.

ciao tpk

Yes it only shows focal length and max aperture of that lens. Like 50 f/1.4 or 35 f/2

Glad you got it sorted out.

The camera does estimate the aperture though and uses it to determine the amount of vignetting correction required. The estimated aperture is included in the M8 Exif information although most programs don't report it. The camera uses the ratio of the light measured by it's internal exposure meter to that of the scene brightness as measured by the photocell above and to the left of the Leica logo to estimate the aperture.

Bob.

I'm not sure that the vignette correction is affected by the "estimated" aperture though. I thought that Stefan Daniel said in his interview that the correction applied is the minimum for the detected lens and aperture is not taken into account?

HI there

I'm not sure about the **** in the serial number field (I have that too).

The Estimated Aperture I do know a little about. It is calculated and stored, whether it is used or not in calculations I don't know. I was asking that it should be visible in the exif information, but the answer was that it wasn't accurate enough to be shown - I guess that it would be a hostage to fortune:

" The exif information says f6, but the aperture was only set to f5.6" etc. etc.