dpreview.com updated with tests of the M9 sensor's infrared response compared to M8

mby

Where did Leica say that ?

In the FAQ's publish by Leica on the M9.

How was the need for the UV/IR Filter eliminated?

The LEICA M9 uses a cover glass in front of the sensor which functions as an absorption filter for

infrared light. Through increased thickness and glass selection, different than the M8, it is possible

to eliminate the need for additional filters on the lens. The effect of the incorporated filter is on the

same level as other current professional cameras. In extreme situations (black synthetic fabric

under low tungsten illumination), a slight IR effect (Magenta color shift) can be seen.

Edited by Shootist

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, does the picture quality improve if you use the M9 with an IR filter ?

A little, perhaps, but compare M9 without filter to, say, Canon 5D II and you see that they are very similar. I find the M9 w/o filter to be good enough and will sell my M8 with the filters. Ah, it shall be good to get rid of all that mess....

A little, perhaps, but compare M9 without filter to, say, Canon 5D II and you see that they are very similar. I find the M9 w/o filter to be good enough and will sell my M8 with the filters. Ah, it shall be good to get rid of all that mess....

What mess? You put the filter on and leave it on. OK I do have a shelf filled with empty Leica & B+W filter boxes but that is in my spare room.

Will there be ill effects if the IR cut filter is left on the lens when using the M9 ?.

I will be using both M9 and M8 concurrently, and it would be convenient to leave the filters on.

Regards ... Harold

Leica also says in the FAQ's that with the wider lenses, below 35mm or including 35mm and below, it is best to remove the filter. On longer lenses they say it really doesn't mater.

Someone will do some tests on this and hopefully post there results.

That is why I am getting the conviction that it is best to go to a Leica shop and get my own personal experience and judgement.

Regards

Steve

It it helps, Leica's testing indicated the same as my own. The evidence is in the pictures and not in any interpretation of them.

That said, the small amount of IR sensitivity in the M9 is unlikely pose a problem for most photographers. I don't use filters on the M9.

Cheers,

Sean

Leica also says in the FAQ's that with the wider lenses, below 35mm or including 35mm and below, it is best to remove the filter. On longer lenses they say it really doesn't mater.

Someone will do some tests on this and hopefully post there results.

I would tentatively list that cut off at 75 mm rather than 35 mm but it depends on how neutral one wants the color to be in the outer zones.

Cheers,

Sean

75mm, Sean? Did you get that right?

Yes.

Remember that the cut-off is about 50 mm with the M8. That is to say, the M8 shows just a bit of cyan drift when an external IR-cut filter mounted on a 50 mm lens (as per various tests I've done). But it's a small amount that many would not worry about. It's more noticeable with lenses wider than that.

A 50 mm on the M8 has about the same EFOV as a 67 mm lens would have on the M9. And field of view is the key factor in determining the strength of cyan drift. So a 75 mm lens on the M9 should show a narrow enough FOV that it should be fine without additional corrections (for the external filter).

I'll do the tests on this eventually but thats my sense right now.

People who choose to use external IR-cut filters on M9 lenses will (below a certain focal length which is probably about 75 mm) need to somehow correct for the extra cyan drift these filters will create. Cornerfix would be the natural program to use in this case.

Cheers,

Sean

Guest guy_mancuso

Just by viewing those two images only and not read anyones reviews on the M9 i do see some IR in the one without the filter on the top of the bag and do not on the one that has a IR filter but more importantly the color chart rendition of RED seems more accurate in the filtered one.

Besides all that look carefully at the RED color chip in the Canon and Nikon. It is not RED but more a biased toward orange which for me clearly say's Canon after 7 years or whatever has still not addressed it from my first Canon 1ds. It still sucks. Interesting the Leica no matter what form here the Red chip is still better. Also the Canon and Nikon shots are slightly overexposed but the color will still remain. I still think and contend that it comes down to a CCD vs CMOS issue. One of my reasons for staying in the CCD camp no matter what label is on the front. Not having tested any of this I can only go by my eyes. Just interesting side note.

Of course do not know how any of this is processed and if in camera jpeg certainly we don't know the algorithms induced by each manufacturer either. I don't know what was done here but can only go by my eyes

Edited by guy_mancuso

I would certainly like Leica to provide cyan drift correction for those lenses + UV/IR filter where it makes sense to do so. Running an M8 and M9 in parallel is going to be a real pain otherwise.

I had a play with an M9 in my local dealer today and agree. Just taking by 28mm Elmarit, removing the lens hood, removing the filter, looking for somewhere safe to put the filter, replacing the lens hood made me think that that wasn't something I'd want to do on a regular basis. Then again, I'd have to sell my M8 to finance an M9, so it's prety academic for me.