Price of brightline finder?

thrid

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone come across a price for the 36mm brightline finder?

Knowing Leica this could end up being be a pretty expensive accessory,

but unfortunately it' almost a must-have.

Think $200-350. I would be surprised if it is cheaper.

I guess one could always go with the Voigtlander 35mm. They run about $150-180 in the USA.

The VC is supposed to be excellent, appears to be more compact and is made from metal.

It also looks a little more retro...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images345x345/315104.jpg

I suppose it will be the same as the D-Lux4 viewfinder.

I use one for my Elmar 24 f3.8 and it is much better then the voightlander 28 and 21mm finders I use.

I forgot what I paid for it. (I always try to forget what I pay for Leica ;-)) )

I paid 250 euros for mine on my D-LUX 4 ... I think it is NOT the same as for the X1, as it is written "36 mm" on X1's one, and looks really bigger ... (see video of B&H photo).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i have the VC 35mm finder (round, metal) .... that's what will be going on my X1 when the day comes.

it is a very bright viewfinder with brightlines.

i also have the previous plastic rectangular one .... it may be slightly less bright, but its also larger, and may be out of production (?)

Well, I missed all the 9/9/09 uproar while being down in Arles at the Rencontres d'Arles photography festival. What I would like to know is how accurate are these additional brightline finders? I've never used them. Am I expecting too much for reasonable accuracy for middle distance photography: around 2-4 meters? Something as accurate as M2/3s would be very pleasing. Perhaps it's safer to say here that I found the original M8 to be an unexpected expensive failure. The X1 does seem an interesting consideration. Depends how quiet the shutter is as well as framing accuracy. Does has live view though; pity it doesn't flip for waist-level framing.

JGW.

Well, I missed all the 9/9/09 uproar while being down in Arles at the Rencontres d'Arles photography festival. What I would like to know is how accurate are these additional brightline finders? I've never used them. Am I expecting too much for reasonable accuracy for middle distance photography: around 2-4 meters? Something as accurate as M2/3s would be very pleasing.

JGW.

Traditionally the Leica finders have been quite accurate. I have the SBOOI, VIOOH and VIDOM finder and they are all as accurate as the M finder and in some cases more accurate. Obviously parallax compensation is a little more tricky.

Both the Voigtlander and Zeiss finders also have very good reputations.

Winogrand shot his Canon/Leica 28mm on an M4 with a Leica 28mm brightline finder. Seems to have worked quite well.

Personally I'm very curious about this issue. If it's accurate at working distances 2m- 5m or 10 meters, the X1 could be a good solution for scale focused street photography.

What I would like to know is how accurate are these additional brightline finders? I've never used them. Am I expecting too much for reasonable accuracy for middle distance photography: around 2-4 meters? Something as accurate as M2/3s would be very pleasing. JGW.

this IS an interesting question.

i confess to being a sloppy photographer, so despite that i have several external viewfinders, i can't answer the question as exact as i would like.

i mounted several on my D2 and was appalled at the (very unscientific) results .... i now even suspect that my D2 lens barrel is off by +/- 5mm in focal length.

once i got to thinking about it, my engineers' brain convinced me that i cannot experiment with the D2 enough to answer this .... how much does your viewfinder wiggle side to side in your hot shoe? .... what is the unit-to-unit angular accuracy of your brand of viewfinders? .... i will be very interested to see what remarks get posted here.

great (and aggravating) question).

• 4 weeks later...
X1 + VF + Grip + leather case = approx 3000 USD ?!

I want one, yes, but already at USD 2000 I start scratching my head for a compact.

Yep! The finder for the DL4 is currently $300.00 and the Flash for the DL4 is $300.00 and the System Case for the X1 is $270.00. It's reasonable to conclude the cost of the X1 accessory prices will be higher. Toss in the usual extras and bingo, you will very likely exceed the 3k projection.

Regards,