M8.2 and Nikon SB 800 flash

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've seen several discussions about this, and apparently the Nikon SB800 flash can be used with the M8. Is there anyone here who's actually done that, and if so, what settings did you use?

I know on the D3 Nikon has all this 'ttl' stuff so the camera meters the amount of light from the flash and turns the flash off at just the right time. Flash photography on the D3 is effortless - and the results are always excellent.

With the Leica, I know I'm going to lose the 'ttl' ability, and I suspect I'll have to put the flash in some kind of semi-automated mode, where the flash will determine when it's put out enough light. There are so many settings in the SB800 I'm not sure where to start.

(There are times when I have to go around shooting people in a shaded area, with bright sunlight behind them, and using the flash for a "fill-in" light improves the picture. Without it, people's faces are all just some shade of shadow. This may be the only thing I would use the flash for on a Leica. If it can't be done well, I'll just continue to shoot those photos with a Nikon.)

Anyway, if someone can tell me what mode they put the flash in, and what other settings they may have changed from the default settings, I'd appreciate it.

Hi,

To use the SB-800 on an M8, you will need to set the flash to be in either 'A' or 'M' mode. (Not 'AA' mode though.)

Details of how to set these on the flash can be found on pages 40-41 (For 'A'), and 42-50 (For 'M') of the SB-800 manual. You'll probably need to experiment a little to get the feel of how much adjustment to make to get the required amount of fill light though.

It may sound complex, but it's not really. It just takes a little practice to get the hang of it. I grew up in the age of the flash bulb, and so the calculations needed for manual flash control are deeply ingrained. :D

Good luck, and happy flashing. :eek:

I've seen several discussions about this, and apparently the Nikon SB800 flash can be used with the M8. Is there anyone here who's actually done that, and if so, what settings did you use?

I know on the D3 Nikon has all this 'ttl' stuff so the camera meters the amount of light from the flash and turns the flash off at just the right time. Flash photography on the D3 is effortless - and the results are always excellent.

With the Leica, I know I'm going to lose the 'ttl' ability, and I suspect I'll have to put the flash in some kind of semi-automated mode, where the flash will determine when it's put out enough light. There are so many settings in the SB800 I'm not sure where to start.

(There are times when I have to go around shooting people in a shaded area, with bright sunlight behind them, and using the flash for a "fill-in" light improves the picture. Without it, people's faces are all just some shade of shadow. This may be the only thing I would use the flash for on a Leica. If it can't be done well, I'll just continue to shoot those photos with a Nikon.)

Anyway, if someone can tell me what mode they put the flash in, and what other settings they may have changed from the default settings, I'd appreciate it.

Mike,

I've used successfully several Nikon flashes (SB22,24,27) with the M8. They do work and have not created any electrical problem, but you can't use TTL.

As you correctly mentioned already, put the SB800 in Auto Aperture mode. Then chose ISO and aperture from the SB800 menu corresponding to what you've set on the M8, maybe also adjust the zoom head of the SB 800 to the focal length of your lens. Those numbers don't get transferred to the flash. Set the M8 to any synchronizable shutter speed and you're set.

The SB800 in Auto Aperture Mode uses it's own cell to detect the proper amount of light to be emitted. Make sure this cell points towards the subject and is not obscured.

Cheers

Ivo

Thanks for all the advice. OK, put the flash in "A" mode, and enter the ISO and aperture settings to match what the M8 is set to, and the focal length of the lens. I guess I also turn off "auto-ISO" so it will stay with what I've got. The M8 has a red "electronic flash" setting between 1/125 and 1/250, so I'll also use that.

Ivo, I never even considered it until you mentioned it, but I've still got an SB24 Nikon flash somewhere that I haven't used since I parked my F4 Nikon. You're saying that will work equally as well? I never used it with the later Nikon cameras because the 'ttl' connection was designed for the newer flashes, but it that old flash would work well on the Leica, that's another thought.

Actually, I really dislike flash photography. I'd far prefer to use natural lighting, but when I've got to photograph people working under a tent with bright sunlight all around outside, realistically speaking, the Nikon has been getting me "nicer" results.

It would be great if the Leica also had the 'ttl' effectiveness of the Nikon, but for that to happen they'd have to have a metering system as good as the Nikon, and I don't think that's possible in a rangefinder design.

Hey, one last question - for the future, is there any advantage in getting a Leica flash instead of using the Nikon ones?

i use my Nikon SB28 on M8. Set the flash to 'A' mode and tell the flash which aperture i'm using use on M8. That's all. If the pic is a bit dark, push up the flash output, vice versa. BUT putting the heavy n bulky Nikon flash on M8 will make it imbalance and ugly. So, i use the old Leica flash SF20 and use the same settings. :>