Current wait for an M9

gbmay

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

January would surprise me, but you never know. The M9 has unleashed a huge wave of demand (well, for Leica) - from film shooters who were holding out for 24 x 36, and from folks who shoot Canon and Nikon for 24 x 36 digital but hate the camera bulk. This is the first time the top-end Leica M has cost LESS than the top-end Nikon (!!)

Leica also tends to be even-handed in doling out cameras to markets, especially at introduction. X-many to Europe, X-many to North America, X-many to Asia. So a dealer who sells a lot of cameras will run out sooner and have more backorders piled up, while dealers in slower markets may be getting cameras "just in time" to keep up with sales.

That'll tend to even out once the first flood of sales diminishes. But that's why I put my order in 3 weeks ago, before the serious leaks started, for "whatever it is, in whatever color is first available."

That'll tend to even out once the first flood of sales diminishes. But that's why I put my order in 3 weeks ago, before the serious leaks started, for "whatever it is, in whatever color is first available."

After my misadventure with SH Photo, my local dealer has said he expects something by next week. The local Leica distributor is holding an event this evening so I hope I'll know more then. And just in case I get lucky, I'm making sure the balance on my credit cards is all paid up so I can whip one out in the unlikely event that they have some for sale tonight.

- Vikas

I guess it depends on where you are. I talked to two dealers in Brussels and none had seen a M9 yet. They were expecting them to arrive in very small doses. One of them was very surprised (and even a bit upset) when I told him that in the Uk several dealers had them availble on the launch date.

So it seems that Leica is focussing on the strategic markets and does not distribute them equally.

It is the distributors as well. My (major UK) dealer told me they had received nothing yet, whilst other smaller dealers were able to sell off the shelf last week. They have over 30 firm buy commitments.. I got the impression they were not pleased.

I was at Meister in Hamburg on saturday. They have a 40+ waitlist, got 5 units initially and expect the next batch in 4 to 6 weeks. They 'hope' to fulfill the waiting list till December.

And there wasn't a grey model yet available (at least not as demo) - so far they only got blacks.

My dealer -- Schönherrs Foto in Stockholm -- has a demo M9 and demoed it last Wednesday. It is an impressive machine, not perfect, but the best M8 to date. And while they do not really expect delivery cameras this week, I am No. 1 on their delivery totem pole and may well have one before this month is out. (Knock on wood, cross my toes etc.)

Announcing a camera and starting deliveries from day one is most un-Leicalike behaviour. But now we do see it. Let us be grateful, and not start bickering.

The old man from the Age of the M8

Here's a quote from a local NYC shop...

THERE IS ONE PIECE ON THE WAY TO US AND I BELIEVE WE WILL KEEP THAT AS A

SELLING TOOL. IN TWO WEEKS TIME, I HAVE BEEN PROMISED THAT ONE MORE WILL BE

SHIPPED BUT I ALREADY HAVE A LIST OF ABOUT 20 PEOPLE. MY LEICA REP TELLS ME

THAT THERE WILL BE PLENTY BY THE END OF NOVEMBER.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO BE PUT ON OUR LIST.

THANKS

Oh well.

Thanks John, I'm going to go take a walk :D

Thanks - but doesn't seem to work - or rather, I can't get it to return any results at all. I had tried there first...

Had exactly the same problem. 100 mile radius, which includes 3 large cities, no results. Could have done with a map option or likewise.

Eventually found dealers by trying random postcodes.

The 'M' brochure issued has a sheet with the Leica shops on it - that is very handy (and should be on their web site).

Had exactly the same problem. 100 mile radius, which includes 3 large cities, no results. Could have done with a map option or likewise.

Eventually found dealers by trying random postcodes.

The 'M' brochure issued has a sheet with the Leica shops on it - that is very handy (and should be on their web site).

You will find that Photo Design Studio in Woolacombe has closed. I phoned this morning only to get their answerphone message - Frank has called it a day - and their web site is 'no more'.

Here's a quote from a local NYC shop...

THERE IS ONE PIECE ON THE WAY TO US AND I BELIEVE WE WILL KEEP THAT AS A

SELLING TOOL. IN TWO WEEKS TIME, I HAVE BEEN PROMISED THAT ONE MORE WILL BE

SHIPPED BUT I ALREADY HAVE A LIST OF ABOUT 20 PEOPLE. MY LEICA REP TELLS ME

THAT THERE WILL BE PLENTY BY THE END OF NOVEMBER.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO BE PUT ON OUR LIST.

THANKS

Oh well.

Which shop was that?