Correction: No recall on the first batch of Leica M9!

vikasmg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10 September 2009 I ordered a Leica M9 from SH Photo GmbH in Nürnberg after I was told by email (confirmed on their web site) that the camera was available. They also confirmed delivery in two days. This morning (13 September here) I received a response to my query to say that there was a "call back" from the factory on the first delivery of cameras.

Does anyone know anything about this?

- Vikas

Admin's Annotation:

I talked to Leica and there is NO CALL BACK from Leica

I'll talk to SH Photo later

Edited by admin
Just to stop the rumor mill...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not heard of a recall. Just checked my email and several items from my regional Leica rep, but not that. I'm in line for a very early delivery, so if there is a recall or something else that will delay that, I'd expect to get notification from her the moment she hears of it.

I do know that the M9 demand is huge and the supply is smaller than some even in Leica anticipated. SH Photo may have thought they could fill more orders than they actually can, and the "recall" is a convenient excuse. Or there may be an "in-house" recall where shipments have been held back to check something or other, leaving dealers with fewer cameras than expected.

It is the middle of the weekend here in the US, so business news won't be flowing especially fast until Monday (36 hours from now) - in case there is any.

SH Photo's web site says the M9 is "In stock, delivery in 9 days" - which seems contradictory. If they are available, why a 9-day wait? If it will be 9 days before they have more, that is not "In Stock" by my definition.

(German: Produkt ist sofort verfügbar - Lieferzeitraum: 9 Tag(e)

Edited by adan

....Or there may be an "in-house" recall where shipments have been held back to check something or other, leaving dealers with fewer cameras than expected.

SH Photo's web site says the M9 is "In stock, delivery in 9 days" - which seems contradictory. I they are available, why a 9-day wait? If it will 9 days before the have more, that is not "In Stock" by my definition.

Well the SH Poto email actually says

First delivery was 10 cameras in our shop, and already your M9 was in

Shipping boxe,

but seam day Leica company all cameras from first delivery call back

to factory...

And the nine day wait was not on the German or English website when I ordered. The confirmation email also a promised 2 day dellivery period :-|

- Vikas

Vikas: OK - could be true.

My Leica rep is on a travel day today (Sat.) so likely not as in touch as on a weekday. Leica Germany would have to tell Leica USA, who would then have to get clarification and then tell her. In an email era, I might hear even on a non-business day like Sunday - if there is something to hear.

Recall or no recall - there is a supply shortage, too.

Recall or no recall - there is a supply shortage, too.

That certainly seems to be true - M9s they seem to be flying off the shelves in London based on the AP report Leica M9: Photographers ditch DSLR cameras news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

I never thought I'd say or see "Leica" and "Flying of the shelves" in the same sentence but I'm happy for Leica and by extention for Leica users like me :-)

- Vikas

I picked up my M9 from Arta Photo in Nice (France) yesterday, I had phoned Stephan after the webcast on Wednesday on the off chance to see if he had any M9's coming in, he was expecting 2 cameras, 1 for each of his shops. He said there was a shipping delay of about 3 or 4 days from Germany, based on volume of cameras being shipped from Solms. He called Friday afternoon to tell me they had arrived, and I collected mine on Saturday from him.

Other dealers that I phoned in France, Germany, Austria & UK all said they were expecting shipments between 10 days and 2 weeks from now, most dealers were expecting to receive only 2 or 3 cameras at a time. I guess the bulk are headed for the US now.

Or there may be an "in-house" recall where shipments have been held back to check something or other, leaving dealers with fewer cameras than expected.

Held back and, in some cases, returned for verification.

Doesn't, necessarily, mean that there is a problem with all bodies only that something has to be

verified.

Mark

Mark Tomalty Photography Montreal Canada Travel Landscape Stock FineArt

I don't believe it at all.

I think it's a made-up excuse till I hear otherwise officially from Leica.

The irresponsibility in making such a false statement is unbelievable. Yet, based on personal experience, I choose to believe he made it up himself.

So stop speculating and try to find explanations or post ideas. It's false to begin with.

My M9 was in that batch, with latest software, and hasn't been called back.

I don't believe it at all.

I think it's a made-up excuse till I hear otherwise officially from Leica.

The irresponsibility in making such a false statement is unbelievable. Yet, based on personal experience, I choose to believe he made it up himself.

So stop speculating and try to find explanations or post ideas. It's false to begin with.

My M9 was in that batch, with latest software, and hasn't been called back.

apparently not because based on what you said the other day, when you opened the box, you'd received a black one when you had apparently ordered a grey

It is possible that the batch was sent out without the latest firmware installed. I know that in the UK firmware updates were being installed even on the 09/09 morning.

the new firmware was supposed to be installed by the dealer. at least that is what is said on a slip which was in my M9 box.

so that shouldn't be it.

peter

Heard from my Leica reps, and they have NOT heard of a recall. Even though it is Sunday, in the era of email I'd expect them to know of something that serious from Leica USA by now if it is already affecting shipments.

It would not surprise me if many dealers thought they were getting, say, 10 cameras, pre-sold 10 cameras, but received only 5 in the first shipment, and were caught short.

Thanks for checking, Andreas.

..........................It would not surprise me if many dealers thought they were getting, say, 10 cameras, pre-sold 10 cameras, but received only 5 in the first shipment, and were caught short............

Yes, that happened to the dealer I purchased mine from in the UK. He only received half the "expected" number. I don't know if that means half the agreed number though.

Bob.