Welcome to the quiet backwaters of the M8 forum...

sfokevin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I purchased my M8 just over a year ago... I am not a pro in any sense... I had for many years spent a small fortune buying the newest and highest pixel cameras as they came out... Before my M8 I don't think I kept a camera more than 4-6 months. The M8 for me was a change to try a different track... to focus on what I was seeing through the viewfinder not the technology... The M8 for me was that chance - It still far exceeds my humble abilities - I would say it always will... I am glad Leica has come out with a newer & "better" camera... and the new M9 forum will be an interesting venue to watch the technology move on along with the pixel chasers and trolls who will feed on fresh meat.... leaving the dedicated to the quiet M8 forum...

But here is where I will feel at home....

Edited by sfokevin

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was Xmas 3 months early judging by the excitement caused by the announcement of the M9 that many of us most probably never will possess. Good that we have our dedicated forum otherwise our points will just be drowned by the M9 mania

Thanks to the forum administrators for the wise decision for separate sub-forums.

I was just thinking how nice it was to have a forum in which to discuss things other than the M9.

I love my M8, which is still very new to me (I bought it new in June) and I am amazed at the image quality, but also how slow a shutter speed I can hand hold.

Also as I can't really afford Leica glass, the cropped sensor makes a lot of sense with my CV lenses (currently 25mm new version, 28mm 1.9 and 35mm 1.7)

Lets make pictures!

G

I purchased my M8 just over a year ago... I am not a pro in any sense... I had for many years spent a small fortune buying the newest and highest pixel cameras as they came out... Before my M8 I don't think I kept a camera more than 4-6 months. The M8 for me was a change to try a different track... to focus on what I was seeing through the viewfinder not the technology... The M8 for me was that chance - It still far exceeds my humble abilities - I would say it always will... I am glad Leica has come out with a newer & "better" camera... and the new M9 forum will be an interesting venue to watch the technology move on along with the pixel chasers and trolls who will feed on fresh meat.... leaving the dedicated to the quiet M8 forum...

But here is where I will feel at home....

I totally undersign.

I have to proof my wife that I don’t just buy a 4K US, (my M8), just so I have to have the latest gadget. It will be a long time before I jump in the M9 frantic new kid in the bloc forum. Hope that this new journey in the melancholic word of crop sensor wont make us less photographer than those who can afford the new M9, congratulations to them. :)

Or like HCB will say “Je suis seulement un foutugraphe”! :(

I'm happy :) with my M8 that I got in December 2008. 800 Euro trade in for old Nikon EM. Sold my 35 mm in 2004 and bought 28 Elmarit ASPH and 50 Summicron when I purchased the M8. Wonderful M8 set. For some reason I have never liked 28mm and 50mm on film. So buying an M9 would also mean that I probably spent money on new lenses. For now: no way.

But who knows what will happen in the future..... :D

I just wandered over to the M9 forum to see what was happening. Woooo! The fighting is in full swing over there. I'd recommend Kevlar if any are thinking of venturing in. :eek:

Myself, I shall stay here, where it is nice and safe, and sanity prevails. :D

after reading the various first reviews by sean and others, i will definitely be getting an M9.... but not now. i've been an avid M8 user since 2007 but while there are advantages of early adopting, there are also lessons learned. with my M8, i managed to wait until all the IR/UV and banding issues were solved before making my purchase. by no means am i hating on the M9 but there will always either be some issue(s) that needs to be ironed out, there might be new features rolled out, or rebates/ price decrease announced. you can definitely learn from early adopters about issues they've had to deal with, if any, and i'm sure they will post them on these such boards. In the meantime, anything you want to know about the M8 can probably be found using the search feature and sifting through the results. if you want answers to a specific M8 question, it might be best to send a message to one of the more experienced M8 users here; otherwise you might be waiting a while.

A very interesting thread. I too remain very happy with my "classic" M8. Bright marks and a side order of brassing included. My lenses range from a 21mm Skopar to a 50mm Nokton with a 27 year old V3 Elmarit in middle somewhere sharing space with a 35mm Ultron. All coded with filters. With the M8's crop factor acknowledged these give me a very comfortable and usable set of lenses.

I remain very happy for those people getting ready to purchase an M9 and I'd certainly accept one as a gift. ;-) But I think my M8 will probably bounce around hanging from my shoulder for quite a bit longer.

Oh yeah, my DL4 will stay with me too. So good image-making to all.

. . . David

I just wandered over to the M9 forum to see what was happening. Woooo! The fighting is in full swing over there. I'd recommend Kevlar if any are thinking of venturing in. :eek:

+1 :D

09/09/09 and 9 nano-seconds...

hyena-mob.jpg

Edited by sfokevin

I tried an M9 yesterday with an old 35 Summicron lens from the 70s and it convinced me that the M8 is perfect for me. I don't need to have the latest and in fact many of the tools in my life that are favorites are the old ones that I can count on to do the job. I reach for them instinctively as I do with the M8.

The M8 may be eccentric and old but so am I.

I also ride a BMW motorcycle and the happiest day for me was when it became obsolete and the forum discussing that bike turned into a friendly group who helped each other to fix the shortcomings and keep the model on the road. Before that there was nothing but complaints about how BMW should have designed things differently.

I'm happy with the M8 forum too, now that we have a different reason to be here and to work together.