Sign in to follow this  
sfokevin

Welcome to the quiet backwaters of the M8 forum...

Well, at almost 250,000 trips of the shutter, I finally feel like my M8 is getting broken in. I'm kind of tempted to get an M8.2 now, as it has that fantastic shutter and sapphire glass.... Heck, I could have two Leicas for the price of a single M9 now.

Gee, I suddenly feel all thrifty.

Vinnay has another new identity.

Yes, Ian, perhaps the effects of the recession is providing those in the gastroenterology business with some spare time ...

Pete.

Well, at almost 250,000 trips of the shutter, ......

Impressive, but I think you mean "almost 25,000" as you last image in flickr is nr. 23,554 (hex 5c02). Still that is a lot of use.

Is there a menu item to tell how many times the shutter has been actuated? The counter can be reset, so I know that's not a good way to determine this.

Yes, an EXIF reader will give the exact number of the shot, but it is in hex, so you will have to convert to decimal.

Impressive, but I think you mean "almost 25,000" as you last image in flickr is nr. 23,554 (hex 5c02). Still that is a lot of use.

Well, then I'm gonna have to smack the program that converted the hex numbers! Or learn to recognize a decimal point.

Sure, I will probably get an M9, eventually, but I've already served as a beta tester, and will wait for hard- and firmware bugs to be worked out and the prices to come down. Meantime:

1. I've enjoyed using the M8, still do, and while it is far less than perfect, as others have noted, even at higher ISO, it's still less "grainy" than pushed HP5 or Tri-X in most of the developers I used over the years. I use it routinely in low light, and while it usually needs a bit of post, it's not let me down.

2. The 28 Summicron does most of what I need it to do, and fills the slot that the 35 Summicron V4 I've used for many years on film cameras. In better light, the files, even up-ressed, are robust, as others have observed.

You know, maybe I'll pick up a third body soon, then I won't have to change lenses or clean sensors, and I can still do this sort of work. Yeah--a body for less than 2K would be nice....

Cheers--