Sign in to follow this  
sfokevin

Welcome to the quiet backwaters of the M8 forum...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just wandered over to the M9 forum to see what was happening. Woooo! The fighting is in full swing over there. I'd recommend Kevlar if any are thinking of venturing in.

Myself, I shall stay here, where it is nice and safe, and sanity prevails.

Another point to stay with my M8. I was thinking of a new 24 mm f/3.8 or f/2.8. I know that in the past you have noted that you find this to be your best on the M8. However, if you move to the M9, you will have to buy a viewfinder, thus taking away one of the great things about the M camera. The small size. Money aside, I will stick with my M8 until the bugs are out of the M9, and I find that 7 grand that I hid in the house somewhere!

I purchased my M8 just over a year ago... I am not a pro in any sense... I had for many years spent a small fortune buying the newest and highest pixel cameras as they came out... Before my M8 I don't think I kept a camera more than 4-6 months. The M8 for me was a change to try a different track... to focus on what I was seeing through the viewfinder not the technology... The M8 for me was that chance - It still far exceeds my humble abilities - I would say it always will... I am glad Leica has come out with a newer & "better" camera... and the new M9 forum will be an interesting venue to watch the technology move on along with the pixel chasers and trolls who will feed on fresh meat.... leaving the dedicated to the quiet M8 forum...

But here is where I will feel at home....

I really like your thread title.

Cheers,

Sean

Well, with the proviso that I'll probably be buying an M9 sometime next year when (a) I can afford it and (

it gets the Maestro chip (and therefore I'll want everyone to forget I ever said this), I'm amazed at the purchase justification going-on over on the other section.

Incredible to me the flip-flopping that people are capable of, for example:

- we're all dead-certain for the last couple years that the M8's compression algorithm is totally lossless. But wait - suddenly we're seeing better tonal transitions in small online compressed jpegs because of the 14-bit workflow! The microcontrast! The dynamic range!

- the M8's crop has been optimal for Leica lenses, and full-frame is a meaningless term for an arbitrary sensor size - until now! when we all suddenly realize that Leica lenses are made for FF and everything else is a horrible compromise!

- the M8's color is the best! So natural and film-like! But wait! The M9 has different color characteristics - and guess what - they are better! But hang on - no - they're too magenta. But that's just beta firmware. The next profile is better. NOW the M9 has the best color. Ever.

- C1 is incomparably the best raw developer out there. Vastly superior to Lightroom. Hang on - no. We just all realized that Lightroom is waaaaaaaay better. I mean Adobe right? That's gotta be the best. Way better than C1. C1 is rubbish in fact.

The list could go on. Anyway, naturally I want to believe a lot of this stuff. I've been clamoring for both full-frame and uncompressed workflow. But for the last couple years I've been shouted-down by a lot of the same people who are now in the M9 feeding-frenzy.

Human nature. Always interesting.

Well, I must say I can perfectly understand the frenzy over here about the new M9.

If I were a rich guy I would probably be on the list to get one.

But You know, I'm not and have to go on with my M8 honeymoon that it is quite far to be over.

Besides that, I always had big troubles when buying first series, whether it was a CD player or a car.

So I think it is worth waiting and see what happens in the next months.

Well, I must say I can perfectly understand the frenzy over here about the new M9.

If I were a rich guy I would probably be on the list to get one.

I agree - I'd be getting two in case one of them had the dreaded red line (like the guy over on getdpi)...

Still, it's seriously gonna upset a lot of people when a pair of dual-Maestro chips goes into the M9.2. When I buy that I can tell everyone that the dynamic range of my web-compressed jpegs is so much better than the lowly M9 'classic'.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm with Enrico, and everyone else here! I spent enough on the M8 to have it last more than 2 years. Happy with my lenses, images, and just about everything else with the camera, so... perhaps this place will turn a bit more civil? Unless of course Leica doesn't add menual lens selection in the M8 firmware

<snip>- the M8's crop has been optimal for Leica lenses, and full-frame is a meaningless term for an arbitrary sensor size - until now! when we all suddenly realize that Leica lenses are made for FF and everything else is a horrible compromise!

LOL. I'm with you regarding the flip-flopping.

Thanks!

Will

No more M8's will ensure that mere mortals who will never be able to afford an M9 but want a digital rangefinder will keep the trade in price reasonable (when the "I must get one at any price" ceases) and sooner or later the M9 price will fall (the current price of an M8 is less than I paid), I like my 35mm Summicron (non aspheric) being 50mm and my 90mm Elmarit (now discontinued) being 110mm and both revert when on my M6 and when the price is right and a silver chrome version available and the wife is in a home for the confused and I control the household budget and a free pair of noculars is included then I might not be tempted.

What will get up my nose will be the posts which tell me that an M9 is being used and the shots are poor and everyone says "Great shot".

And what was wrong with keeping the M8 in parallel manufacture and why such a hike in price, are we bing lllc lens fitting'ed.

Edited by David Monkhouse

Humans are not rational animals. They are rationalizing animals. Right now, I'm rationalizing sticking with the M8 for quite a while. But the rationalization seems pretty rational to me. At the amount I shoot, it will pay for itself (vs. film) 4 years after purchase, so I've got 2 years to go.

Seriously, if you're an ultra-wide shooter, the M9 is probably a must. Ditto if you absolutely must have a cleaner ISO 1250. Other than that, if you already have the lenses you need and the IR filters for them, the M8 is as fine a picture-taking machine today as it was two days ago.

Ah, peace and quiet!

Fortunately for me my reasons (professional ones) for getting the M8 in the first place did not change much with the advent of the M9.

The M8's 1.3X and file size actually works out to my advantage most of the time. So while the M9 does solve a few of my issues with the M8, there are several that hold me back.

Sean made some very good points in his initial report (on his website) on the M9 that I need to think through carefully.

Seriously, if you're an ultra-wide shooter, the M9 is probably a must. Ditto if you absolutely must have a cleaner ISO 1250. Other than that, if you already have the lenses you need and the IR filters for them, the M8 is as fine a picture-taking machine today as it was two days ago.

What an interesting thread! I am cautious by nature and weigh up every new purchase very carefully. If a camera still performs to the standard I accepted when it first was launched, and that standard is still good enough for some of my work, I seldom part with that camera. How pleased I am that I kept my Digilux 2. While it has become a cult camera in some quarters, it is still my camera of choice for family pictures and close up shots. No newer camera has eclipsed its handling qualities.

Being a late adopter of the M8, which has added a new dimension to my work, it would be against my character to forsake the M8 just because a later version has appeared. While it still performs in the way which meets my current needs, why should I become a beta-tester for the M9? Thank you friends for remaining loyal to the M8.

I have had my M8 since Feburary 07. It has never given me any problems and the filters for me are a plus as I always protect my expensive lens anyway. The M8 is far better at making photographs than I am. I will probably upgrade in the future if I can afford it but I would definately have to sell my M7 which I am not ready to do even though I have not used it since the M8 arrived. I am glad now that this forum has stayed apart. I do hope that further firmware upgrades will be available for the M8. I find it really elitist and self serving that it has been suggested on the other forum that all further improvement be dedicated to the M9 by Leica.. I am also glad to see that Sean Read is still reading this forum and I intend to re-new my subscription.

Cheers,Dan

I was just thinking how nice it was to have a forum in which to discuss things other than the M9.

Lets make pictures!

G

I have no problems with the M9. I would love to get one and have a FF M and a cropped M8 to extend reach at times.

But it was getting ridiculous with how many threads were popping up with rumors and speculation in the M8 forum. Hence why I suggested a new forum for such discussions.

Glad to see the M8 thread is more relevant now.

And yes, let's make pictures indeed!

What an interesting thread! I am cautious by nature and weigh up every new purchase very carefully. If a camera still performs to the standard I accepted when it first was launched, and that standard is still good enough for some of my work, I seldom part with that camera. How pleased I am that I kept my Digilux 2. While it has become a cult camera in some quarters, it is still my camera of choice for family pictures and close up shots. No newer camera has eclipsed its handling qualities.

Being a late adopter of the M8, which has added a new dimension to my work, it would be against my character to forsake the M8 just because a later version has appeared. While it still performs in the way which meets my current needs, why should I become a beta-tester for the M9? Thank you friends for remaining loyal to the M8.

Now we look at our M8 in a different light... Like a nice comfortable shoe that has been broke in... We know all of its good and bad points... It is no longer the only RF game in town and if we choose to stay with it - it is by choice not necessity...

Top 10 Threads in M9:

1. M9 with no finder mechanism - no top deck.

2. M9 shutter lag?

3. Querying M9 paint durability experiences

4. The Sour Grapes Duo

5. Anyone really like Lightroom as supplied with M9?

6. M9 - Paint Only, No Chrome...

7. Base Plate: Opportunity Missed?

8. the shutter dial is turning the wrong way

9. M9: Noise reduction?

10. Leica CEO on M9 quality control & Leica's future

Has anyone taken a picture with the M9 yet?...

Edited by sfokevin

Has anyone taken a picture with the M9 yet?...

Yep, just this morning at NIVO-Schweitzer's [Amsterdam]

The sales rep brought a whole bunch of lenses [including 1.4/21, 1.4/24, and 0.95/50], two M9 bodies (black&steel-grey) with f/w 1.002 and one X1 (sample version). Tried bracketing en soft-release mode, all pretty good and ended up ordering the steel-grey version, sorry ...

I agree, it is refreshing that the firestorm has moved to the M9 forum and appears to have left a far more well-mannered population in its wake.

I like some of the advancements that the M9 offers and will acquire one at some stage but for now I've grown use to my M8's warts and bumps and it still produces outstanding photos so I shall continue to use it to prove to myself that as a camera it hasn't devalued - and I'm not talking about monetary value.

Pete.