Sign in to follow this  
shootinglulu

Why do i need FF?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not anything important, except for measurbators.

A 50 on an M8 is a portrait tele that gives blurred backgrounds. A 75 on an M9 is a portrait tele that gives blurred backgrounds. A 15 on an M8 is a superwide where everything is sharp. A 21 on an M9 is a superwide where everything is sharp.

Edited by adan

Seriously you are not gaining anything per say you are getting more MPX and that alone for me if buying would do it 10 to 18 would be welcome.

I had a few glasses of wine for dinner tonight but I don't think that's the reason why I don't follow this sentence.

Guest guy_mancuso

Going from M8 at 10 mpx to a M9 at 18mpx. You gain 8 mpx by basically increasing the size of the sensor.

Hope the wine was good. LOL

And by basically increasing the price:D

Going from M8 at 10 mpx to a M9 at 18mpx. You gain 8 mpx by basically increasing the size of the sensor.

I hope we also lose the green streak and any other weird-a$$ artifacts. If I get that, another couple stops of usable ISO and a faster buffer (for 36mb uncompressed 16bpp RAWs!) then I'll be a happy guy.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks, -- that was clear. And yes, the wine was good but as with cameras, there is allways room for improvement

-- but then were are back to the price going up.

The famous saying with wine is that life is too short to drink bad wine. I think the same applies to cameras: life is to short to shoot with bad cameras -- or with cameras that are not the best you can get. So while I don't need FF, I may still get it.

As the initial poster, i was thinking about this FF advantage. In my case the M8 is my first real camera and i did not need to adjust my perception of the focal lenght. As the initial poster of this thread i often use 28f2 and 50f1.4 and is perfect. What i see is that the lens i have (the two mentioned plus 3 summarits) are a lot less good at the FF corners. Will this, in adition to some possible M9 vigneting (?) mean that i will get 8 million pixels more but of lower quality ? My M8 uses the soft center of my lenses, the image is perfect at least until A4 size wich is perfect for me as I m only an amateur. On the other hand I feel strong attraction for this 18M pixels...I really do not know what to do . I suppose that the resale value of my M8 will help me decide !

As to what I've put in bold and underlined.

No one knows, or should I say very few know and those few aren't saying anything until tomorrow, what the true image quality is and what light falloff is in the corners of the FF sensor. I seriously doubt the image quality will be less then the what you get from the M8. Will it be better? That is yet to be seen.

Sorry to tell you but the resale value of any M8 will drop considerably after tomorrow.

Luckily for me I sold one of my M8's about 3 weeks ago and got what I consider a fair price for it.

I suspect used M8's will sell for less then $2000 and new store stock of M8's going for somewhere around the $3000+ mark and M8.2's for just over that, $3500-$3800.

If you have to ask

if you want to use them at their correct focal length, then you need FF. if you are happy with them as 35ish and 65ish, then you don't.

Andy,

I think you have trans-format inertia, a condition where your mind is in one format while using another format.

This seemed less of an issue for 35mm users when moving to medium format that it is moving to a smaller than 35mm. All focal lengths are correct withing their format reality.

Bob

I have 28 and 50 mm lenses to suit my M8 and i am very happy with these focal lengths.

What benefit would FF be to me?

Your 28mm on the M8 corresponds to the 35mm on the M9. No 28mm Lux exists yet there is a 35mm Lux. You therefore gain one stop for the same focal + probably another 1 or 2 stops because of improved high ISO performance for low light shooting. This is the main benefit I see from full frame.

Doesn't full frame also do something to depth of field?

The full frame sensor with a 50mm will give slightly shallower depth of field than the cropped sensor with a 35mm lens, but the difference isn't particularly significant unless you're a hard-core macro shooter.

Andy,

I think you have trans-format inertia, a condition where your mind is in one format while using another format.

This seemed less of an issue for 35mm users when moving to medium format that it is moving to a smaller than 35mm. All focal lengths are correct withing their format reality.

Bob

Thank you. All this talk of the lenses are not the same, blah blah.

Put the camera to your eye move the frame selector and make your lens selections.

I really don't see what has changed from using 35mm film.

I now have to re-think lens selection when using a film M and I like the 135 being a 180mm lens.

Thank you. All this talk of the lenses are not the same, blah blah.

Put the camera to your eye move the frame selector and make your lens selections.

I really don't see what has changed from using 35mm film.

I now have to re-think lens selection when using a film M and I like the 135 being a 180mm lens.

Except the actual magnification is only a 135 lens. The crop is a 180 equivalent.

For me, it's as much about room and distance to subject as anything else. When I'm using a 24 I sometimes need the coverage and literally have my back to the wall. Making that into a "33-ish" due to crop just makes it more difficult, and you run out of quality on the wide end quickly IMO. I also can't wait for my 50 to be a 50 again... I don't like using it cropped.

Except the actual magnification is only a 135 lens. The crop is a 180 equivalent.

For me, it's as much about room and distance to subject as anything else. When I'm using a 24 I sometimes need the coverage and literally have my back to the wall. Making that into a "33-ish" due to crop just makes it more difficult, and you run out of quality on the wide end quickly IMO. I also can't wait for my 50 to be a 50 again... I don't like using it cropped.

Yes Jamie same magnification cropped.

So are you selling your M8/s? if not then you will have to deal with filters on one and no filters on the other and the crop factor.

Well... cropping out the center 10 Mpixels in Lightroom, you basically can use the M9 as a M9 or a M8, i.e. use your 28 as a 28 or 35 and your 50 as a 50 or a 65. So you buy a M9 and get two lenses for free... or something like that...

Bernd

Well... this is a good idea for people with :

- Many lenses

- M8

- Uncertainess about spending onto a M9...

Guest guy_mancuso
Thanks, -- that was clear. And yes, the wine was good but as with cameras, there is allways room for improvement -- but then were are back to the price going up.

The famous saying with wine is that life is too short to drink bad wine. I think the same applies to cameras: life is to short to shoot with bad cameras -- or with cameras that are not the best you can get. So while I don't need FF, I may still get it.

Without letting the lion out of the den , lets just say be prepared to buy one. Whatever hit the streets on the forums is not telling the whole story and it actually gets what many have asked for in a lot of ways. You will know more tomorrow and even though I am not under a NDA on this one, I would rather see you guys open the present yourself. I personally have my eyes on the S2 but I was one of those very early M8 adopters and certainly like to see you folks have some joy this time around.

I hope we also lose the green streak and any other weird-a$$ artifacts.

I wish you well on that, Jamie.

Turning down your 'edges proposal' wasn't done lightly.

Without letting the lion out of the den , lets just say be prepared to buy one. Whatever hit the streets on the forums is not telling the whole story and it actually gets what many have asked for in a lot of ways. You will know more tomorrow and even though I am not under a NDA on this one, I would rather see you guys open the present yourself. I personally have my eyes on the S2 but I was one of those very early M8 adopters and certainly like to see you folks have some joy this time around.

C'mon Guy, you've always been dead straight with us. Just to prove to those many doubters that you're on the inside track and not doing last minute bullshittin', tell us something that we don't know and can't read else where yet. Doesn't need to be important, just unique.

Then we can say once again ..... Guy's the Man !

I'm a doubter. £10 says Guy doesn't know any more than anyone else here.

He thinks it's good for his image, to let people think he does, though

Leica reps are under a €40,000 NDA. That's got to hurt. That's why things are very tight this year, and why the viral marketing has been so successful. Leica should be congratulated.

Edited by andybarton