"There May Be Something In Our Webcast You Still Don't Know About"

johnbuckley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure I understand the thinking behind the X1, either. If it is a fixed lens and a fixed focal length lens, I do wonder who it going to buy it.

So hopefully there is something else to surprise and delight us.

It seems to be so ... nothing exciting for me, unless the price is really good... but I have red here that someone is welcoming such a camera as a "carry always"...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All Digital M camera owners will get continuous access to the latest version of Adobe Lightroom....?? :cool:

Bingo ! I use LR 1.4 and yesterday night I just tought that acquiring a M9 could be a smart way to have a new release without paying for it... :D ... if your hipotesis is right, no contest... I MUST buy it... :p

Bingo ! I use LR 1.4 and yesterday night I just tought that acquiring a M9 could be a smart way to have a new release without paying for it... :D ... if your hipotesis is right, no contest... I MUST buy it... :p

I heard earlier that a 'Lightroom LITE' version had been developed for Leica, but it doesn't appear to be the case from the brochure pics. We'll see.

Things we don't know about:

• Prices,

• roadmap for the "R solution",

• video/cine lenses

• new sports optics,

• new partnerships.

None of that leaked just because the M-system brochure leaked.

It's also possible Leica decided to go ahead with something camera-related after the brochure we've seen was prepared in July: GH-1 or GF-1-based Panaleica, e.g. Or a new lens.

I was wondering this a.m. why Panasonic has had such trouble getting the GH-1 into the marketplace. A camera due in June that is still backordered all over the place in Sept. Perhaps Rudy Spiller contracted for a whole month's production in July. As "an" R solution, if not "the" R solution. Or to give Leica a consumer video option to parallel what they may be doing at the Hollywood end.

I won't get into why I consider the GH a far better product, and more Leica-like, than the GF - that's for the non-M8 forum.

One of my Leica reps (they are a husband-wife team) was bemoaning the loss of the V-Lux from the lineup - he said they sold like hotcakes. He hoped that that would be part of the announcement.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Think you're going to be disappointed.

Maybe.

My main gripe in using the M8 was that it was not particularly smooth to use because of the reliance on the screen for some key adjustments. Having to turn your back to somebody (in bright light) to make adjustments in a sensitive situation where communication is difficult looks very secretive and just kind or ruins the moment. Not what Leica should be about.

So, I'm still hoping they did listen to working pros who raised this issue, and some kind of useable fix has been found.

My feeling is that there will be some announcement about a digital solution for R lenses.

As for the other items, it is my understanding that the M9 will be available straight-away and that the X1 will be ready for Christmas.

I somehow can't see anything else that is earth shattering; Leica isn't all that large a company and it has been pumping out a steady stream of new products for over a year now.

Do we know of if the X1 has an M-mount or R-mount. Is it really fixed? There's no release button in the front view of the camera.

How about an X1 with a real optical viewfinder (CL-D).

Please?

It's not a pretty sight to see a grown man beg. On his knees. In the rain. Without an umbrella. Getting splash by a passing car...

Do we know of if the X1 has an M-mount or R-mount. Is it really fixed? There's no release button in the front view of the camera.

Please?

It's not a pretty sight to see a grown man beg. On his knees. In the rain. Without an umbrella. Getting splash by a passing car...

:D The tension must be unbearable, my sympathies.

I found the M9 brochure somewhat unconvincing - but I have nothing to substantiate that, it's just a feeling. So, could the brochure be a red herring? I hope so.Marcus

Dude, are you serious? You think someone flew to Cuba and shot an entire campaign to forge an 80+ page product brochure? You're seriously entertaining this possibility?I admire your skeptical stamina :) Personally, I'd be flattered that they used the same flavour of post-pro as you (slightly high-key/high-pass). Nice work, btw.

You're right about the screen, though. It was utter crap on the M8. My bigger complaint was slowness. It displayed and handled images slowly compared to then state-of-the-art dslrs, to an extent I found really grating. While I have no doubt the processor will be much faster in this camera, we can only hope they've improved the screen, too. Unfortunately, I think they have re-cycled as many components from the M8.2 as possible, for obvious economic reasons.

All will be revealed tomorrow. I would be very surprised if we weren't all playing with production M9s at the Leica events.

Edited by devils-advocate

What about a Pradovit digital projector with a reduced feature set from the D1200? Something alternative to the crap optics on the Canon Realis series of projectors. The D1200 is phenomenal, but way more features than required for just image projection. Get rid of all the cine features, price it around 5K and it would sell.

Please?

It has no mount. It's a fixed lens.

iphone 5GS

I'm sorry, but that is inaccurate. People I know, who are very close to the situation, have informed me that both Leica and Steve Jobs will announce tommorrow the new

iLeica

It will be the new iPod Touch with the M8 sensor and an M lens mount. Please keep this information secret.

It has no mount. It's a fixed lens.

The last such camera I had was a Brownie 127 in, say, 1963. In this day and age, a camera either has to have a zoom lens or else interchangeable lenses.

Seems to me the D-Lux4 does well as a carry-anywhere camera. I got a brown D-Lux 4 case as part of an ebay sale, just wondering whether to buy a camera to put in it.

Edited by marknorton