M9 - Even Ken Rockwell is getting one !

Ozkar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Your closing comment is a logical death spiral: If you don't like peoples' comments about KR, don't read them. And that goes on and on and on. :rolleyes:

No. What I wrote is " if people are RILED by what he writes; how about not reading him?" You even quoted me. No death spiral here, and I'm actually in favour of reading people I disagree with, even people who are disagreeable, it's part of learning. The really good thing is you are free to disagree with me, neither you nor I will give a damn, and I at least will not be riled.

.............. Chris

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ken Rockwell's coming out full force for the M9 -- and equally and even more strikingly for all Leica glass -- is more credible to the consumer foto world at large than the supposedly learned commentary found, e.g., in this thread, certainly, and a signal measure of exactly the kind of success that most on this forum have hoped that Leica would achieve with this release.

Now the quality control must hold up -- Ken Rockwell, like everybody else, hasn't actually got an M9 in hand, after all, and doesn't say that he has, and his valuable (and well meant) praise will prove evanescent if it doesn't. If an R3/M8-type initial stumble is avoided and there is perceived dependability in the field for the M9, then, even if it's overpriced (per the TOP article referenced in another thread), maybe the company, here often wept over, will have saved itself once again.

Actually, the alleged reputation of the Leica forum as mainly a vain bunch of snobs is put to rest once and for all by this thread -- the aroma of envy is too palpable. :rolleyes: Still, maybe this can be generously put down in part to the general & undifferentiated excitement surrounding a new consumer product launch in a mass society -- and which may be redeemed in principle, after the smoke has cleared & reflection prevails, if the launch is as successful as most everyone here doubtless hopes. :)

Ken Rockwell's coming out full force for the M9 -- and equally and even more strikingly for all Leica glass -- is more credible to the consumer foto world at large than the supposedly learned commentary found, e.g., in this thread, certainly, and a signal measure of exactly the kind of success that most on this forum have hoped that Leica would achieve with this release.

Now the quality control must hold up -- Ken Rockwell, like everybody else, hasn't actually got an M9 in hand, after all, and doesn't say that he has, and his valuable (and well meant) praise will prove evanescent if it doesn't. If an R3/M8-type initial stumble is avoided and there is perceived dependability in the field for the M9, then, even if it's overpriced (per the TOP article referenced in another thread), maybe the company, here often wept over, will have saved itself once again.

Actually, the alleged reputation of the Leica forum as mainly a vain bunch of snobs is put to rest once and for all by this thread -- the aroma of envy is too palpable. :rolleyes: Still, maybe this can be generously put down in part to the general & undifferentiated excitement surrounding a new consumer product launch in a mass society -- and which may be redeemed in principle, after the smoke has cleared & reflection prevails, if the launch is as successful as most everyone here doubtless hopes. :)

Wow ... I guess we all now know where we stand ... :rolleyes:

I like Ken, I've even sent him $5 twice. That being said, he writes tongue-in-cheek on many occasions and people take him way too seriously. He "reviews" equipment he's never seen and generally just does what he does to generate hits on his web site.

I'm more excited about Sean Reid's views come Sept. 10. Four of my last four digital cameras came after reading his unbiased, thorough explorations of the camera in hand.

I enjoy Kens site, He has strong opinions. Not something that is lacking around here either! I also think he is terribly clever at using SEO to get excellent search engine positions by taking the trouble to review individule lenses and cameras. It's not like he hides the fact that he makes money from affiliates - It's at the bottom of every page and review!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Like Ken's opinions or not, his website is a goldmine of excellent information on how to improve your photography. The more I read there, the more I learn.

I can ignore the "glitz" and just look for things that are helpful to me.

Someone up above said Ken didn't like the Nikon D3x because it's $8000. Actually, Ken didn't like the idea that the D3x cost $3000 more than the D3, with not all that much difference. The D3 is designed for "high speeds" and "sports", while the D3x loses the "higher" stuff, but gets more resolution.

If Leica had followed Nikon's example, the $6000 M8.2 would be followed by an $8000 Leica M9.....

Actually, with Nikon, there is a place for both the D3 and the D3x. Neither one can replace the other - they're both optimized for a certain kind of usage.

Anyone with doubts about Ken Rockwell should just go to the main site at KenRockwell.com and look at some of the technical articles. Ken has a great way of not only passing on good information, but doing so in an enjoyable way. His stuff is fun to read, and you don't fall asleep in a sea of technicalities.

"The M9 is a winner. It is now the first choice of the serious travel, nature and landscape photographer because it offers the highest possible quality available in digital capture coupled with its small size and weight."

It took him this long to figure this out about M cameras?