Sign in to follow this  
Ozkar

M9 - Even Ken Rockwell is getting one !

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And he's done at least one "review" of lens that he hadn't even seen.

I didn't know that. It's one thing to 'preview' something that you've no first-hand contact with yet, but quite another to 'review' something that you've not personally experienced.

KR doesn't call his M9 paper a 'preview' but a 'review' IINW.

I didn't know that. It's one thing to 'preview' something that you've no first-hand contact with yet, but quite another to 'review' something that you've not personally experienced.

KR doesn't call his M9 paper a 'preview' but a 'review' IINW.

Actually, he called it a 'report', and he also qualified that the writing was based on the leaked information. I'll admit I do not agree with some of his opinions or share his views, most especially on the M8, but it's free and his take on ultra wide angle photography was um... quite interesting.

He's copy/pasted the info from the leaked brochure and hashed up a photoshop impression of what the camera looks like (probably to avoid legal action) - anyone can do that!

I might set up a review site of my own.........

Don't really know much about KR, is he some sort of Paris Hilton of photography?

After all these years of my trying to get a handle on KR, you have come up with the best one-line description: "The Paris Hilton of photography".

(The other day I got a letter in the mail inviting me to something with the Hilton Family. Then I realized they were talking about hotel properties.)

Actually, he called it a 'report', and he also qualified that the writing was based on the leaked information...

Yes you're right thanks. Funny that he says "I'm writing in present tense because I don't want to have to go back and re-write this all in two days when it goes public." As if all he could do is to copy again the Leica brochure when he can test the camera. Another way to tell that he'll never get one for testing i guess.

I don't understand the the reactionary response to Ken Rockwell. His website is free for users, if you don't like what he writes; it's not as if you have been overcharged for your reading.

Me? I find him frequently entertaining, sometimes boorish, always opinionated, and often stimulating. Sure he changes his mind and direction, but if that were a crime this forum would be illegal. As regards his writing on things Leica, like many of us he has been critical of Leica, and like some here; insistent that a digital Leica must have a legacy-film sized sensor. To my recollection KR has always written enthusiastically about M lenses and has often extolled their virtues when he shoots film. The KR website is huge and contains many nuggets of useful information, particularly for Nikon users, and above all is FREE.

If people are riled by what he writes; how about not reading him?

................ Chris

I don't understand the the reactionary response to Ken Rockwell.

<snip>

The KR website is huge and contains many nuggets of useful information...

<snip>

If people are riled by what he writes; how about not reading him?

................ Chris

1. Some of his nuggets are dodgy at best. His alleged favorable comments about Leica notwithstanding (some of which are ill-informed or just plain irrelevant), there isn't really enough meat on his site to bother with, though it is amazing how often you see him quoted as gospel in other forums.

2. Your closing comment is a logical death spiral: If you don't like peoples' comments about KR, don't read them. And that goes on and on and on.

KR targets his site and opinions & recommendations at Joe Public and writes appropriately. He does share some good general advice, albeit infuriating to the more knowledgeable web community who frequent tforums like this and who know that the simple examples and recommendations may not always apply (and why).

Some of his pronouncements and 'reviews' of unseen & untouched product are embarrassing at times - entertainingly so.

...frequently entertaining, sometimes boorish, always opinionated, and often stimulating. Sure he changes his mind and direction...

Sounds more and more like Paris Hilton to me... without the sex appeal off course.

And he's done at least one "review" of lens that he hadn't even seen.

More than one--you're absolutely right. I think he does this *a lot*. In the example I'm thinking about you were led to believe he *had* it, but if you read carefully it became clear he'd never seen it.

I think KRW is great when taken *as entertainment* (as opposed to seriously). I do think pretty highly of this (seriously) and recommend it to others. At least it makes you pause and think through it: Your Camera Doesn't Matter

Thanks,

Will

Edited by wstotler
Added link

...At least it makes you pause and think through it: Your Camera Doesn't Matter..

Sure we can learn that "Jesus Christ's dad Joseph built a masterpiece of a wooden staircase in a church in New Mexico in 1873". Wonder what the Virgin Mary was doing then.

Sure we can learn that "Jesus Christ's dad Joseph built a masterpiece of a wooden staircase in a church in New Mexico in 1873". Wonder what the Virgin Mary was doing then.

After all these years of my trying to get a handle on KR, you have come up with the best one-line description: "The Paris Hilton of photography".

(The other day I got a letter in the mail inviting me to something with the Hilton Family. Then I realized they were talking about hotel properties.)

Thanks, I bet you were trying reeaaaally hard "all these years"

Why isn't Paris Hilton a member of this esteemed community of the fashion concious?

She could post some of her pics in the people forum:D

Same family, you know.

Jeff