Ozkar

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest New2LeicaRF

i am following this forum and I think i learned a lot from the members here, than the useless and VERY STALE information on Ken rockwell's website.

isn't he already discredited on various forums ?

i think he writes all this to earn money and keeps refering people to various websites. very bad.

i am following this forum and I think i learned a lot from the members here, than the useless and VERY STALE information on Ken rockwell's website.

isn't he already discredited on various forums ?

i think he writes all this to earn money and keeps refering people to various websites. very bad.

Lighten up. Ken Rockwell is a kook but he's good for a laugh and I enjoy his offbeat perspective.

My prediction about KR's entry in to the M9 debate hold true :-)

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/97378-most-brilliant-viral-marekting-ever.html#post1023594

Hee hee:

"The M9 is a winner. It is now the first choice of the serious travel, nature and landscape photographer because it offers the highest possible quality available in digital capture coupled with its small size and weight."

A bit presumptuous I think ... but I agree with the premise.

Edited by gwelland

Ken Rockwell often steps on toes, but his remark about the half-frame is hardly more than has been said here 100+ times; it just stings more coming from him.

Nevertheless, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that Ken's coming out full force for the M9 -- and equally and even more strikingly for all Leica glass, old or new (and that means R or M) -- is more credible to the consumer foto world at large than the happiest hymn of a choir of brass-collar Leicanauts like ourselves, certainly, and a signal measure of exactly the kind of success that most on this forum have hoped that Leica would achieve with this release.

Now the quality control must hold up -- Ken Rockwell, like everybody else, hasn't actually got an M9 in hand, after all. If an R3/M8-type initial stumble is avoided and there is perceived dependability in the field for the M9, then, even if it's overpriced, all us Leicanauts can break out the champagne. :)

After reading Ken's "rumor-review" of the new M9, I have an entirely new perspective on my M8u. I now understand that for certain knowledgeable users my M8 is going to be very limited and it will need to be dumped as soon as possible because, well, just because. If, you don't get it then, I will try to explain.

First of all, and to quote Ken, "Who shoots Leica for half-frame? Not me. If you've got an old M8.2, now is the time to dump it, although you've probably missed the window. I will no longer consider or mention the old M8.2..." So, everyone should be able to understand what Ken is saying. He is saying, DUMP your old M8!!!

What is wrong with you people? Are you stupid? For heaven's sake! If, you are reading this then you have missed your window. I don't need to tell you what a bunch of losers we are. You might as well just give this piece of trash-camera to your brother-in-law... with apologies.

Next, I want to go on on record right now. I am so with Ken on this one. "I will no longer consider or mention the M8.2." I have already, like Ken, promised myself to never mention the M5. Wait a minute, I just did (slap my face). But, from now on I refuse to "mention" my M8.

Wait a minute, what is this in my hands? Why, it is a camera... it is a Leica camera... looks like an Mmmmm.... Agh!!! It is an M-eight! (See, I didn't technically say it) It must be my brother-in-law's camera. He must have come to visit. I hate him and his half-frame camera!!!

I am now going back to shooting my point and shoot and D3MkII because Ken has shown me that my previous camera is not worth mentioning. Maybe, I can get a few bucks for it if, I hurry. I know. That window is closing.

Strange thing though, I can't seem to get my Leica glass on my point and shoot and my D3MkII is not giving me the same images I used to get from my "brother-in law's new camera." And, those were damn fine images... I thought.

I already miss my old M8 (I said it). I know I'm going to get a new M9. But, my old "half-frame" made such rich prints. Do I have to take them all down off the walls now? Do I have to sell my M8 for nothing? Can't I just keep my poor old half-frame? It is better than my PAS and my D3MkII. It still accepts all of my M-lenses. I could keep it in the glove box with the 28-cron and not tell anyone I have it? I am so conflicted... not!!!

The M8 is a great camera and I'll keep it when my new M9 shows up. Wait until you see what the X1 sells for before you close the window on the M8 half-frame! At the very least, I'll put the 28cron on it and keep it in the bottom of my bag and call it an X1.2

Edit: By the way, I enjoy reading Ken and I get him. Welcome to the Leica digital family Ken. It will be interesting to see how lazy you get now.

Edited by RickLeica

According to Rockwell:

"The M9 works marvelously with lenses of any vintage with no 6-bit coding. Bless Leica for this. Leica could have made the M9 not work with uncoded lenses to try to force us to use new lenses, but no, the LEICA M9 works with every old non-coded lens. This is laudable, considering that Leica's strongest competition comes from itself. Leica's own decades-old old lenses are as good as, and sometimes better than, today's offerings."

But he adds:

"Of course if this is all fake and all Leica does on 9/9/9 is introduce a point-and-shoot like the X1, then ignore all this."

As often, he has not the least clue on what he's talking about.

... KR has the last laugh ...

Not really... visiting his website and not clicking on any of his Donation or sponsor links just adds to the traffic volume at the service provider hosting his site. Presumably that will eventually only serve to drive up his costs... ;)

Edited by anupmc

Hehe yes but his first pic let me think that he could have seen the M9 in person so he got me trapped quite easily.

Now this very pic is not in the Leica brochure if memory serves so how did he find it out?

Looks like a photoshopped M7.

Ken Rockwell often steps on toes, but his remark about the half-frame is hardly more than has been said here 100+ times; it just stings more coming from him.

Nevertheless, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that Ken's coming out full force for the M9 -- and equally and even more strikingly for all Leica glass, old or new (and that means R or M) -- is more credible to the consumer foto world at large than the happiest hymn of a choir of brass-collar Leicanauts like ourselves, certainly, and a signal measure of exactly the kind of success that most on this forum have hoped that Leica would achieve with this release.

Now the quality control must hold up -- Ken Rockwell, like everybody else, hasn't actually got an M9 in hand, after all. If an R3/M8-type initial stumble is avoided and there is perceived dependability in the field for the M9, then, even if it's overpriced, all us Leicanauts can break out the champagne. :)

I'd agree. He's entitled to his opinion, regardless of whether anyone subscribes to it or not. Bash his views and you're no different from him bashing yours. At least he could be bothered to put in the time, labor and money to do it properly. Some of his reviews, especially the lenses and ultra wide angle topics, do contain nuggets that some people, including me, have benefited from. And they're free!

Looks like a photoshopped M7.

Hard to believe. Look at this by example:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!