M9 Pricing confirmed!!

Guest Essemmlee

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$7000 for a FF Leica would be, IMHO, a pretty good price. If true, which I still have some doubts. Cheapest FF right now is the new Sony at what - $2000 approx. Given Leica's production volume, $7000 is really, really aggressive.

The interesting thing is to compare to the S2. Sensor 30Mp, but physically only slightly bigger than the M9. Three, four times the price?

Ok, I admit, I'm a big skeptic on the S2's pricing (rather than the camera, btw), and there certainly are things you can do with the S2 you can't with the M9, but it seems to make the S2's positioning look worse and worse.

Sandy

At £4,900 the anticipated flooding of the market with M8/.2's may not happen.

Quite the opposite, the M8/.2 will become sought after. First used M8 sold for over £4,000 will be ....... MINE !!!! :D:D

Mine will go back to Solms in the soon to be announced LSP. Leica SWAP Programme for the first three months after the M9 launch will reimburse the full M8 purchase price to M9 buyers, or a full set of IR filters.

Edited by Rolo

$7000 for a FF Leica would be, IMHO, a pretty good price. If true, which I still have some doubts. Cheapest FF right now is the new Sony at what - $2000 approx. Given Leica's production volume, $7000 is really, really aggressive.

The interesting thing is to compare to the S2. Sensor 30Mp, but physically only slightly bigger than the M9. Three, four times the price?

{snipped}

Sandy, as an aside, isn't the S2 double the resolution at 37MP, not 30...

Not that this completely undermines your argument. The S2 will have to have the best build, the best glass, and the best IQ in addition to resolution....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It might actually BE cheaper than the M8/M8.2 because - Leica is discontinuing the M8* with the release of the M9... So it wouldn't be competing, in a sense.

Anyway, that's the story and I'm sticking to it. At least, I hope so. I'm not paying $7k for one... :eek:

For that kind of money I'd sooner get a used CFV back for my Hassy. ;)

That everything from Leica is expensive - and too expensive for most people - is no news.

The M8 had from its very beginning a higher price than most of the "high end" - and technically much more advanced - DSLR gear.

When we look back at times when there were not even rumours about a fullframe M9, all estimates told us that it would cost at least 1000,- to 2000,- € more than the M8.2. This estimates were not unrealistic as they were in context with other price jumps of new Leica products with a considerable progress in technolgy.

Now we are talking about - unproven - prices which are 500,-€ higher than the present price of the M8.2 (non rebated). If all the rumours and leaks about its technical specifications come to be true, the M9 will represent a technical progress compared to the M8.2 nobody in this forum thought realistic half a year ago.

If this price proves to be true it is a very high price - absolutely - in every currency. But in relation to what we exspected and what we are used from Leica pricing it is almost sensationally low - which does not change anything about the fact that Leica is expensive and too expensive for most people.

Edited by UliWer

I wasn't going to speculate. But why miss out on all the fun.

So, the current UK prices at Harrison Cameras in Sheffield are:

M8: £2,800

M8.2: £3,540

which gives a difference of: £740

The M9 could be: £3,540 + £740 = £4280 + New Thing Premium (£600) = £4,880?????

Karl.

Karl.

You are very lucky with the M8.2 in Sheffield.

Curent prices in Hamburg, Germany are:

M8 (rebate): 2,802.64 GBP

M8.2 : 4,384.56 GBP

The rumoured price for M9 would be 5.500,- € (incl 19% VAT): 4,824.58 GBP.

If you would take the differences between M8 and M8.2 (1581,92 GBP) you would have to pay 5966,48 GBP (without a New Thing Premium).

Guest New2LeicaRF

Karl.

your calculation is arbitary. you should take the MRP of new cameras, not the price of M8.2 on the eve of releasing new M9. obviously, dealers will try to clear the stock.

i was offered m8.2 for 3000 pounds by a dealer in london - he told me it is old stock but not a demo.

Who cares how much more an M8.2 is than an M8 - that has nothing to do with what the M9 may or may not cost. The M8.2 was an upgrade (for some) of an existing design - most of which was not changed. The M9 is a far more extensive redesign, but also unhampered by legacy parts (except probably the RF/VF and maybe a few other pieces).

No such thing as a "New Thing Premium".

Guest New2LeicaRF
.. but it might come near the truth.

everybody is saying it will be 4800 or 4900 pounds, so no surprise.

how does one assume premium price - what is the basis?

everybody is saying it will be 4800 or 4900 pounds, so no surprise.

how does one assume premium price - what is the basis?

Of course a "New Thing Premium" has no real basis. Though every producer who invests a lot of time and work = money in a new product will see that he gets this money back from the price. It may happen that the price for something completely new is the same or even less than for the older product - if the producer can produce cheaper and/or hopes to sell much more than before.

I find no reasons to assume that the production of the M9 will be cheaper than before. If Leica would have added all they invested, the new price would be much, much higher. So when they didn't do it, they seem to exspect to sell more than they could with the M8/.2. There are reasons for this hope but it is risky.

Sandy, as an aside, isn't the S2 double the resolution at 37MP, not 30...

Not that this completely undermines your argument. The S2 will have to have the best build, the best glass, and the best IQ in addition to resolution....

doubling the resolution of 18mpx would be 18x4 = 72mpx. peter

Let's not forget the world has been hit by a severe economic crisis: I would be interested to know how professional photographers have been hit by rising unemployment, lower income, and greater uncertainty. The Pro market must be in a wait and see position. For the rest of us, well it depends what you do for a living, but if say the price is 20 percent higher than the 8.2, and incomes have, globally, stagnated, I would not expect such a strong demand for the new M9. And this is where comes the X1: Leica will try to capture a share of the demand at a lower price point rather than leaving it to Canon or Nikon.

Wait and see

Let's not forget the world has been hit by a severe economic crisis: I would be interested to know how professional photographers have been hit by rising unemployment, lower income, and greater uncertainty. The Pro market must be in a wait and see position. For the rest of us, well it depends what you do for a living, but if say the price is 20 percent higher than the 8.2, and incomes have, globally, stagnated, I would not expect such a strong demand for the new M9. And this is where comes the X1: Leica will try to capture a share of the demand at a lower price point rather than leaving it to Canon or Nikon.

Wait and see

I wonder what is the sales split of Leica pros vs amateurs? I would not be surprised to see it somewhere in the 10% / 90% range.