Sign in to follow this  
offshore

Have Leica Abandoned The M8?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica do have a track record of abandonment - which of their current lenses are available in LTM mount?

I don't know if it's still the case, but not too long ago they'd produce a lens in LTM provided you ordered enough of them - the figure of 1000 units comes to hand.

Of course: sensible, realistic upgrades. That's what I said.

In short, I bought my M8 partly on the understanding it would be supported by an upgrade programme. Leica made a right song and dance about it at the time.

The first (and only!) round of upgrades were fairly priced - not cheap, but that was to be expected. Then, Leica repriced the upgrades to ludicrous levels (up to 50%!) - 1000 euros just for replacing the frameline masks! Those pricing levels have no connection with reality, and are not explainable by the impact of the recession on currency: obviously done to kill of the upgrade scheme, or at least make it very unattractive.

There's no way anyone unless on a very good salary can justify spending that sort of money on framelines - there's food to buy and bills to pay.

And its about honour too - some of you seem to consider that breaking one's word is fine. Not in my book.

Time for a quick fact check:

1. Leica have implemented upgrades that bring the original camera to the level of the latest and last camera of the 8 series

2. Any camera that goes into CS for more than minor work gets electronically upgraded to the newest level -for free

3 Any camera that goes into CS for more than minor work gets a years guarantee -not on the work, but on the whole camera

4. Leica has pledged long-term support for the camera

5. There are very strong indications that Leica is working on an upgrade of the firmware.

Errr... What was that question again?

Of course: sensible, realistic upgrades. That's what I said.

In short, I bought my M8 partly on the understanding it would be supported by an upgrade programme. Leica made a right song and dance about it at the time.

The first (and only!) round of upgrades were fairly priced - not cheap, but that was to be expected. Then, Leica repriced the upgrades to ludicrous levels (up to 50%!) - 1000 euros just for replacing the frameline masks! Those pricing levels have no connection with reality, and are not explainable by the impact of the recession on currency: obviously done to kill of the upgrade scheme, or at least make it very unattractive.

There's no way anyone unless on a very good salary can justify spending that sort of money on framelines - there's food to buy and bills to pay.

And its about honour too - some of you seem to consider that breaking one's word is fine. Not in my book.

Just try to look at it this way:

I was thinking of the upgrade for the M8 last December. Then the price increase came, and I didn't like it any more. I took the spare money and some more(

) to spend it on the 50 Summilux Asph.. This doesn't need any upgrade and I can hope to use it still when all upgrades are long forgotten.

Zeiss & Voigtlander lenses are equal to or better than Leica's best lenses??

Surely you jest...

No, Leica makes great glass, been using it for 45+ years, but especially the new Zeiss lens can certainly hold their own. And are strong competitors. What's wrong with having choices like that?