M9 full specs and pictures are out. Let's discuss.

nugat

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Think the administration of this forum prefers if we talk about rumours and not about brochures....;)

You may talk about whatever you like, just please do not post the images, pdfs or links to the website that has now been taken down.

Thanks.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

James,

It apparently has a CMOS sensor, which suggests live view.

Pete.

That's no substitute fior a proper viewfinder, IMHO. This is so nearly a camera that I might buy, but if I have to use it with my arms outstretched, I am not interested.

Just wondering, how usable really is ISO 80; I've hardly ever a chance to shoot at ISO 160. :confused:

You're betraying your youth! :rolleyes: Some of us remember the early 1960s when ISO 160 colour film was labelled 'High Speed' - there was only the one (High Speed Ektachrome) with 'grain like footballs'! :D

'Normal' colour film was in the range of ISO 25 to 50...

A few years earlier the standard Kodachrome was all of ISO 10 :eek:

Edited by jlancasterd

You're betraying your youth! :rolleyes: Some of us remember the early 1960s when ISO 160 colour film was labelled 'High Speed' - there was only the one (High Speed Ektachrome) with 'grain like footballs'! :D

'Normal' colour film was in the range of ISO 25 to 50... :eek:

Best compliment I've heard in a long while! :D

That's no substitute fior a proper viewfinder, IMHO. This is so nearly a camera that I might buy, but if I have to use it with my arms outstretched, I am not interested.

Same here Andy. Someone suggested in another thread it may have an EVF viewfinder on the rear, I doubt it though. It really should have had a good optical finder given it's a fixed lens camera too. OK there will be the shoe mounted finder but then that means no flash, so it becomes limited in application which is a pity. Still we don't know the full spec yet...

@Andy Barton - since the X1 has a fixed lens (FoV = "35mm") just get a 35mm accesory finder - Leica, Canon, Nikon, Voigtlander to put in the oh-so-Barnacklike accesory shoe.

Folks, it may not be on this site (for reasons I understand) - but just google "Leica M9 brochure" - you'll find all the links you need.

It's an altogether different form of photography, Andy. You don't even think where the arms are -- you should try it. I'm half embarrassed to say that I've probably made more pictures with my iPhone than M8 recently! :o

Mike,

Glad i did not design that, would have been tempted to put the MP revind knob in there where it belong but with a multi function - turn for exp-comp - push once and turn to set ISO. push again to return to exp-comp... (or easier, pull up to set iso down for exp-comp)

Bo- I like the way you're thinking!

Interesting to note that Leica included lots of shots of synthetic fibre clothing this time - i assume to prove a point? Strangely though the brochure lacked any caucasian skin examples. I'm not reading anything in to that at all but you might expect a mix of people shots with different tones.

Brochure leak: I'm thinking that there's someone out there staring at a pink slip pretty darn soon ... :p

To get back on topic. As an unreconstructed film-only user, who reads these threads purely out of interest, can I ask the following. Is there any indication on how Leica solved the formidable technical problems associated with the highly oblique rays of the short M system back-focus distance and a full frame sensor?

I like the X1 body shape and agree that it looks like a Leica 1A. It looks like it will be very compact and light, which means it's pretty much pocketable.

I wish it had an optical viewfinder. Even if it was a less sophisticated RF unit, as was used in the CL.

I fear that as is the case all other EVF cameras, there will be too much display lag and tearing to allow decisive moment shots. They would have to seriously crank up the fps of the display to overcome that problem. Maybe they can do that with Maestro only having to crunch data coming off an APS-C sensor. That's a lot, lot less data than what it's handling for the M9 and S2...

Agree about how awkward it would be to do something like street photography with the camera held in front of you and your arms stretched out... Leica should take a look at the Winogrand videos on YouTube. That's how a lot of us shoot (just not quite as fast or good...)

I pray that Leica has a very clever implementation of scale focusing. That way at least you could put an optical brightline finder on it, preset focus to 2.5 or 5 meters and blast away, as long as you can shoot between f5.6 - f16 and a reasonable shutter speed. Otherwise it's a D-LUX 5, with a bigger sensor and killer fixed focus lens.

If scale focusing is well implemented it wouldn't be as flexible as an M-body, but as good as shooting with an LTM in daylight.

Maybe Leica will make a few variations of the camera, just like they did with the LTM bodies. Some had RF units, others didn't.

I'm very curious about the price. Anyone want to take a guess?

$999 (ha ha ha...)

$1500

$1999

$2500

More?

Edited by thrid